• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I'm new to this site and I always see people talking about open carry. Discussions of who OCed where are all over the place. In what way is people bad ones included knowing your armed a good thing? I'm a firm believer in the first sign that I'm armed is when I start shooting. Am I missing something or is it just a "cause I can" thing?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you read through those OC threads entirely, the "pro-OC" guys explain why they do it.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Although open carry has more than a little popularity here, there are those that agree with you, INRanger.

I believe open carry invites "shoot me first." I'd much prefer to decide myself when to tip my hand that I am carrying.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    The secret of open carry is to have an impressive weapon, any AR pistol or an SP89 is a good choice. Seriously though, it's impossible to say what effect it will have, other than getting hassled a lot by people who don't know the law. Criminals generally look for the easiest score, so one that is willing to shoot you while open carrying would have likely shot you anyway. I'm sure it would make less determined criminals look for an easier target, but you can never know.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Seriously though, it's impossible to say what effect it will have, other than getting hassled a lot by people who don't know the law.

Not true depending on where I am OC'ing at. I have never been harrassed once in a store or restaurant or on the street.

To the OP, CC if you want, OC if you want. The most important thing to me is that you carry, not how you carry.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I hadn't weighed in on the OC thing before, there are so many discussions around it. I like the argument that a right not exercised can be lost, and I like the deterrent effect that there would likely be if the bad guys saw armed people everywhere, but I think that right now is a bad time to make a point.

All of us pretty much agree that our rights will soon be under heavy assault. Many people who are on the fence on this issue, who don't particularly like guns but don't care enough to make a stink about it because it's out of sight/mind, I fear will tip the other way.

This may seem like cowardice, but I think there are times when discretion is the better part of valor, and I think now is one of those times. I think we should be careful right now, and play our cards very carefully. There are times to attack, and times to defend, and I think right now educating people about guns and open carry is the wrong time.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    As ATM pointed out, there are MANY threads on the CC vs OC debate, several which are linked from the INGO FAQ sticky. See my signature for the link to the FAQ or click the links ATM posted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom