• What do you think is the "Supreme" handgun round

• Total voters

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    All depends on what I need it for really. I chose the .40 S&W for an all around carry round, but it isn't supreme for everything. If I wanted it for bear protection than a .44 magnum or 454 casull would be supreme or a 12 gauge. Hunting for small game would be .22 for sure or for plinking a 9mm or .22. I have a variety of calibers to cover all my bases. I love .45 ACP but can't see buying one when a .40 S&W will do the job just fine. Heck I would trust a 9mm for an every day carry because it worked for me in the Military and got the job done.

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    I say .357 because of all the versatility of owning ne. That said, I'm a big fan of .22, especially .22 WMR, and love my little Single Six with the interchangeable cylinders. But I'd feel more confident with the .357 if fighting for life and limb.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I think the poll is a little flawed. The question should be Supreme Cartridge for (what purpose)...........

As for the "old slow and weak comment". Do a little search on the history of any cartridge, might surprise you. "Old slow and weak" was developed to stop drug crazed tribesmen. There maybe cartridges developed now that may do as good or better job.
    But remember to respect your elders, "old slow and weak" has protected men in harms way, longer than most of us have been on this earth. Besides I resemble that remark......... Duce<><

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    As for the "old slow and weak comment". Do a little search on the history of any cartridge, might surprise you. "Old slow and weak" was developed to stop drug crazed tribesmen. There maybe cartridges developed now that may do as good or better job.

Just so you know, the fact that he wrote it in purple means he's being sarcastic.

But remember to respect your elders, "old slow and weak" has protected men in harms way, longer than most of us have been on this earth. Besides I resemble that remark......... Duce<><

I couldn't agree more, well, except for the last sentence, I'm still fairly young (Depending on how you look at things!)

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    5.7 expensive round but leaves huge cavity when hits bigger than .45, can easily penetrate armour, and the five seven has up to a 30 round mag so capacity is best of all handguns.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    10mm.

More power and capacity than even the mighty .45 ACP, more capacity/better platform/ more controllable than Magnum revolver cartridges.

What's not to love? (beside the price of ammo)

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    We're talking supreme handgun rounds, (which I would assume rules out the .22, but apparently some disagree.)

I said 9mm because, to an extent, I'll take capacity over round size. With modern defense ammo, the 9mm will do the job just nicely, and I just can't say no to 17+1.

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    What about the .357 SIG? I personally go with the .45 ACP, but there are some very interesting stories about police departments that use the .357 SIG round. From what I have read these departments are finding that the .357 out performs many rounds on penetrating barriers and there have been several cases where one shot will stop a suspect, but on the other hand, when used in a good hollow point over penetration rarely becomes an issue, as most of the rounds are found in the body or are caught by the clothes. Supreme handgun round? I don't know, but it is an interesting round.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I said 9mm because, to an extent, I'll take capacity over round size. With modern defense ammo, the 9mm will do the job just nicely, and I just can't say no to 17+1.

:+1: Applies double for me. Under perfect conditions im a decent shot (not good enough to compete, but I can put them all on the paper in a decent group), but in a stressful situation I cant say for sure my aim would be any good at all. I like 18 chances to stop a problem as opposed to 6 or 7.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I picked the .40 because I think it is a nice middle range round that will do for most purposes. Some say the recoil is to nasty. I have not noticed and I shoot a 189 power factor in my Limited gun. Hard to bad mouth the .22 which can do a lot more than most people give it credit for. The 9mm is what I carry. 17 +1 with a reload to 23 will handle small riots and what not. I love to shoot the .45 ACP. I would carry it more but I want the capacity of the other rounds. I have a .44 mag that has killed wild boar, deer and many different varmits that is a great round, and with the sex appeal of Dirty Harry how can it be bad? The .380 is a nice round for girls and if you are able to shoot at naked people. Other than that I steer away from that. Just my 2 cents.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    OTHER... the one I have in my gun i am carrying at the time I need my pistol it is the supreme rd. Its all about shot placement, a .22 to the eye will do more damage than a .45 to the hand.

That said, I carry 9mm

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    What about the .357 SIG? I personally go with the .45 ACP, but there are some very interesting stories about police departments that use the .357 SIG round. From what I have read these departments are finding that the .357 out performs many rounds on penetrating barriers and there have been several cases where one shot will stop a suspect, but on the other hand, when used in a good hollow point over penetration rarely becomes an issue, as most of the rounds are found in the body or are caught by the clothes. Supreme handgun round? I don't know, but it is an interesting round.

I've read a ton on the 357 Sig, and next to the mighty 10mm, it's my next choice. My current carry is a 357, matter of fact.

Top Bottom