• ...and so much more!
  • What do you think is the "Supreme" handgun round

• Total voters

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    There is no one Supreme round. Choose whatever round is best suited to the particular task at hand for you, and depeneding on the person & the task the best suited for one may not be the same for another.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Would have to say, like so many already, that the .357 is the king. Just too bad it's for a revolver... Probably why .357 Sig is my fav.... Almost the equal in performance in the lighter bullet weights.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    dirty-harry.jpg

Need I say more?

Never thought we would ever agree on any thing did ya?

44 mag because anything a 38/357mag can do a 44 special/44mag can do bigger and harder. Every thing 357 mag fans claim it will do, a 44 mag really will do and it's still a HANDgun.

Last edited:

Fish609

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Which ever bullet hits its mark and stops the aggressor from hurting you or someone else.

It could be a 9, 45, 40, a pencil, a slice of pizza. Whichever does the trick is supreme!!!

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    The supreme Defense Handgun is the one you are proficient with, keep with you at all times and is ready for action anytime the need should arise.

A .22 or .25 that you are comfortable shooting in your pocket has MUCH more effective stopping power than the MR DE .50AE or Kasull 454 that you've never shot sitting at home in a safe/drawer/closet.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hmmmmmmmm 00 Buck? Seriously I do not believe there is one supreme handgun round. A well placed .22 shot will kill you just as easily, as a shot from a .357 mag will. What really matters is the user being comfortable with what they use/carry. Can they handle the caliber? The cost determines for many, how much they can practice. No mater what caliber you use it comes down to.

Practice
    Practice
    and yes
    Practice

My :twocents:

HollowPoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I voted for the .357 also for the power / personal protection & .38 capabilities; with the .22 as a close second.
    I would rate a .44 as the lowest though, like shooting as gun with a handle like a broken baseball bat.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Hey what about 38. Super it is a hard hitting round with light recoil. But then again I love the .45, or mabey it is just whatever my 1911 is chamberd in.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Not what do you carry, what do you think is "best." Please, comment on WHY you think it's best. Given all the different uses handguns can be put to, I think the reasoning should be interesting. If I leave a caliber off, write it in and tell us why it's better than the ones listed! I've only got so many options I can include.

My vote for "best" is .357 Magnum. It's unparalelled as a defensive round, it can also be loaded to be great for hunting small to medium game, provide protection against nasty critters up to black bears, great for target shooting, can even be used to great effect in competition. I'm not even adding in the fact that guns chambered for this caliber can also shoot the .38 Specials. Just the .357 all by itself can do all the above. It is, IMHO, the most versatile round out there, and doesn't sacrifice excellence to achieve that versatility. Handloading really makes the most out of all the different things a .357 can do, and be great at.
    +1 Here. A 4" .357 and a 2" .38 revolver have served me well for years, though a new auto pistol is calling my name. :)

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Wow, what a great/tough question!

.22 - I cut my teeth on one of these and I'm sure more small game has been taken by this round than all the rest combined.

9mm - great medium weight round, you can carry a ton of them in a semi auto but not so great as a hunting round.

.40 S&W - Another great semi auto round you can carry tons of and the more I study the ballistics of the more I like it BUT it's another platform that doesn't lend it's self easily to hunting.

.45 ACP - What can I say? It's the "Mack Daddy" of defensive rounds, and I can't even guess how many times I have heard someone use it as the baseline to compare some other round.

.44 mag - I think the .44 mag is the pinnacle of the power/hunting pistol rounds (yeah I know you can shoot a deer with a howitzer but that's just crazy :ar15:). It just seems like it's the perfect balance of power and controllability to me, and it's one of my favorites too :D.

So in a world where I could only have one pistol/caliber I would be very sad but it would be...

.38/.357 :rockwoot:in my mind it just makes sense. less expensive to shoot/practice, can take any game I want to shoot with it, .357 mag is a great defensive round, easy to reload and the brass seems to last forever, uses less powder/supplies to maintain (in a shortage), a revolver with a 6" barrel tends to be easy to shoot and very accurate even for less experienced shooters, AND I have a few thousand bullets put back I can reload if needed.

Top Bottom