• What do you think is the "Supreme" handgun round

• Total voters

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Not what do you carry, what do you think is "best." Please, comment on WHY you think it's best. Given all the different uses handguns can be put to, I think the reasoning should be interesting. If I leave a caliber off, write it in and tell us why it's better than the ones listed! I've only got so many options I can include.

My vote for "best" is .357 Magnum. It's unparalelled as a defensive round, it can also be loaded to be great for hunting small to medium game, provide protection against nasty critters up to black bears, great for target shooting, can even be used to great effect in competition. I'm not even adding in the fact that guns chambered for this caliber can also shoot the .38 Specials. Just the .357 all by itself can do all the above. It is, IMHO, the most versatile round out there, and doesn't sacrifice excellence to achieve that versatility. Handloading really makes the most out of all the different things a .357 can do, and be great at.

If were to be limited to one handgun only and it was to serve multiple purposes, then I too would go the .357/.38 Spec route. However, my EDC is an Officers Model 1911 in .45ACP. The .45ACP round has stood the test of time and with either 185 or 230 grain jacketed HP loads, it's a proven fight-stopper.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Yes...I picked the lowly .22 rimfire, without a doubt iut is the most versatile round out there. While not the best at large game it will kill even polar bears yet not destroy meat on a squirrel, 10 dumped center mass will slow down an attacker...perhaps slow down all the way. It is cheap to shoot, you can carry 100's of rounds easily...if I could have only one handgun it would be a 22.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Yes...I picked the lowly .22 rimfire, without a doubt iut is the most versatile round out there. While not the best at large game it will kill even polar bears yet not destroy meat on a squirrel, 10 dumped center mass will slow down an attacker...perhaps slow down all the way. It is cheap to shoot, you can carry 100's of rounds easily...if I could have only one handgun it would be a 22.

It was a hard choice for me between the .22 and .357. For me, the .357 edged out the .22 only because it can be used in IPSC/IDPA competition, and that is of use to me personally. .22 is an extremely close 2nd, for me, though, because all you said is true. Added to the .22 goodness you mentioned, it's quiet, perfect for introducing new shooters to the sport of handgun shooting, you can shoot a brick of them and not wear your hand out... and that brick won't run you more than $20, maybe less.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My vote for the best is the .825 Magnum: Pictured second from the left in this image.

.44mag | .825mag | .825std | 3.57mag

Because quite honestly, all handgun calibers suck.

What the heck is that thing??!!! :eek:

I said "handgun" round, not "artillery" round LOL.

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    My vote for "best" is .357 Magnum. It's unparalelled as a defensive round, it can also be loaded to be great for hunting small to medium game, provide protection against nasty critters up to black bears, great for target shooting, can even be used to great effect in competition. I'm not even adding in the fact that guns chambered for this caliber can also shoot the .38 Specials. Just the .357 all by itself can do all the above. It is, IMHO, the most versatile round out there, and doesn't sacrifice excellence to achieve that versatility. Handloading really makes the most out of all the different things a .357 can do, and be great at.

+1

Although 45 ACP is a very close 2nd.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    .480 Ruger----not much harder to shoot than a .44 Magnum, but will bring down anything in the western hemisphere and all, but a couple of things in the eastern. My second choice would be the vererable old .45 ACP.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    I carry a .45 and trust it completely. To me, the .45 is the best personal defense round and I would feel confident carrying either jhp rounds or ball rounds if it came to that. I can't say the same for a 9mm or .40. If availability wasn't an issue I would like to have a 10mm or .357 sig.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I definitely have to go with .357 magnum, just for it's versatility. As Joe said, it can do everything from squirrels to black bears depending on what ammo you have on hand.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Here is my other, it's a Fabarm 12ga pistol.
    Load it with 6 slugs, and your good to go!

martial-ultra-short2.jpg

Specifications Technical data

GAUGE

12 M

TOTAL CAPACITY 6 SHOTS
    BARREL
    TRIBORE®

BARREL LENGHT

36 COOLING JACKET

CHOKE

MULTICHOKES

CHOKE INCLUDED CYL
    FRAME ERGAL 55
    RECEIVER FINISH BLACK
    STOCK COMPOSITE

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is my other, it's a Fabarm 12ga pistol.
    Load it with 6 slugs, and your good to go!

martial-ultra-short2.jpg

Specifications Technical data

GAUGE

12 M

TOTAL CAPACITY 6 SHOTS
    BARREL
    TRIBORE®

BARREL LENGHT

36 COOLING JACKET

CHOKE

MULTICHOKES

CHOKE INCLUDED CYL
    FRAME ERGAL 55
    RECEIVER FINISH BLACK
    STOCK COMPOSITE

"Hey there, is that a gun in your pants or...oh, it's a gun in your pants..." :D

Top Bottom