• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I'm a newb when it comes to black rifles. What is the difference in the 5.56 and the 6.8 receivers? Are upgrades or parts easier to find for one or the other? Is ammo easier to find for one or the other as well? Thanks and sorry for what I'm sure is a very basic question.

Zach :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    5.56 and 6.8 refer to what type of ammo that particular gun shoots.

5.56 (.223) will be much more plentiful, and cheaper to shoot.

I'm sure the EBR guys will be by shortly to give you a much more detailed answer than that.

Last edited:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    From what I understand, both cartridges can be used from the same receiver. So it may just be the way the receiver is marked. But I have basically no knowledge of ARs so hopefully someone can confirm or correct this.

panman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Dont know much about them,but,i know that the 223s are224" DIA.bullet and the 6.8 is 277" DIA.bullet.pan.

slcorson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    heard alot good things about the 6.8 calibur, but haven't seen much on ammo so that is going to make it pricey to shoot compared the 5.56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I don't care if Grendel has much improved ballistics over 5.56/.223... if it's almost a dollar per round, you can count me out until the price ratio improves.

It might be the greatest caliber in the world for its intended purpose(s), but until and unless it becomes more affordable, who would know it?

I'll give it a try if someone's willing to let me pay in advance for a few rounds, but having one myself I just don't see, at least not for the near future... or unless I win the lottery, in which case, I'll buy a half-dozen Grendel uppers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Also, to Mr. Corson - you're being painfully obvious, sir.

Slow down, add some words, and wait in-between posts so that the mods don't IMMEDIATELY firebomb you. (And if you want to know what being 'firebombed' is, just keep doing what you're doing and they'll be happy to show you. And you will find out who 'they' are, as well.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom