• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I recently bought a Saiga .223 Ak-47, and everywhere I go to buy a 30 round mag, they say it must comply with the 922R. I have no idea what that is, but I've been told a few things and it's done nothing but confuse me. Any help or some sort of definition would really help! Thanks!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    In a nutshell, 922(r), now Title 27 CFR 478.39 states that you can not build any rifle or shotgun with more than 10 imported parts. And the mag counts as three parts, follower, body and floorplate.

Stupid rule, yep, about as bad as they come.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks a lot. I really don't understand why there would be such a stupid law. So if the mag is U.S. made, it shouldn't count as a foreign part correct?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    That is correct. If the mag is US made, and has a removable floor plate and follower, it counts as three US parts.

Just remember, according to the law that keeps the universe safe, you can have as many US made parts as you want, but if you accidentally have 11 imported parts, the sun will explode ending life as we know it. Or worse, your rifle will become a baby killing machine. As long as you only have 10 or less imported parts, your rifle or shotgun can never hurt anyone.

Just ask George Bush the First, or any US Attorney General who has the last word on what is "sporting" and what is not. And then ask them why a US made part makes a weapon baby safe while an imported part can make it a baby killing machine.

Then ask them if they understand the meaning of "shall not be infringed". ;)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Based on the calculator, using a mag made here means that you only need one more American made part to be compliant. Stocks and triggers would be easy options. Have you done the AK conversion or are you just looking to use higher capacity mags?

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    The key is... if you leave it alone and keep it as it was imported, it's legal. When you start changing things out like the magazine, you trigger the 922r crap.

And really if you look at it, it's nothing but pure protectionism for the domestic firearms industry.

Ya know I was curious... how many people have been busted for that? I'd rather be compliant to be safe, but it seems like that would be a tough law to enforce unless you're constantly going around asking people to do a full tear-down... or show receipts for compliance related parts.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Ya know I was curious... how many people have been busted for that? I'd rather be compliant to be safe, but it seems like that would be a tough law to enforce unless you're constantly going around asking people to do a full tear-down... or show receipts for compliance related parts.

I agree. I doubt there is many law enforcement officers that even know what the law states off the top of their head.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What is the 922R law?

Annoying and confusing. :noway:

It does NOTHING to help, protect, make safer any weapon.
    It's an added regulation to cause problems and red tape
    thereby putting a hardship on gun ownership.
    I believe that was the intended purpose.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    :hijack:

so im considering sbr'ing my draco and was wondering if i will have to make it compliant going from a pistol to a rifle.... there seems to be a debate about this on arfcom. whether nfa items fall under 922r ...wondering what you guys think?

sorry for thread jack

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    At first ATF stated that items falling under the 1934 NFA were not subject to 922(r) but they later issued a statement stating that items falling under the 1934 NFA were subject to 922(r).

It was stated above correctly, this unconstitutional law does nothing but put a hardship on firearm owners making their arms that shall not be infringed more expensive.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    so i do need to make it in compliance.... i was planning on it just to be safe but good to know im not just spending extra money

Top Bottom