• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    My wife and I went shopping for her first pistol this morning. We went to Cabelas just so she could coonfinger a lot of options and see what felt right to her. The most comfortable thing she found for her hands is an HK P30. Now, my wife is petite. I don't know how it is exactly that she finds this to be most comfortable, but she does. She also has a much easier time manipulating the slide than other pistols.

I'm looking for some options though. I just want her to try out everything that might feasibly work beforeshe decides on what she wants. What else would you say to would compare with the feel of the P30? Looking for non-carry options, polymer, 9mm. Just want to make sure she finds the best fit for her. I really want her to like it so she wants to shoot it even more and can become a proficient pistol shooter.

FYI, these are pistols she does not like the feel of: any of my xdm's and we tried all the backstraps, xds, xd, Sig 229, px4, lc9, sig 250, glocks.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is a great resource for quickly getting the sizes of various guns: Firearms Search Results — WhichGun.com – Your Complete Firearms Buying Guide ™

One you will want to consider is the Walther PPQ M2. One of its strong points is that women report that the slide is easier for them to rack than on other guns in the 3.9" barrel range. Incidentally, the P30 is usually ranked 2nd. In the P30s, a beginner, especially a woman, would likely prefer the V1 (Light LEM) or V2 (LEM) over the V3 (DA/SA.)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The Walther was my first thought also. Similar in size, and a few of my female friends that have tried them seem to like the feel. Another one to look for that might be a good fit for her would be the S&W M&P lineup. very ergonomic grip, and has optional safety. There is also a pretty big aftermarket support for the S&W, leaving many options for sights and other items that she may not like.

If she isnt stuck on it being a polymer, my absolute favorite 9mm handgun ever is the Hi-Power. It istn much heavier than the polymer guns, has a very proven track record, and very easy to shoot. The single action trigger also lends itself to being easier to shoot for many people, especially beginners.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    The SR22 has an ergo grip, if you want a .22, but the PPQ is closest. Maybe the USPc would fit her as well? I would go SA/DA with the P30 - I hated my LEM trigger.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Thanks fellas! Will defiently try to get her paws around a PPQ. I know all of these are good pistols, and I'm trying to not let my personal preferences or price really persuade her decision. It's her pistol, and I want her to be comfortable with it and enjoy shooting it. Still, kinda figures that the one she feels most comfortable with has the highest price tag... :laugh:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thanks fellas! Will defiently try to get her paws around a PPQ. I know all of these are good pistols, and I'm trying to not let my personal preferences or price really persuade her decision. It's her pistol, and I want her to be comfortable with it and enjoy shooting it. Still, kinda figures that the one she feels most comfortable with has the highest price tag... :laugh:
    Then get out of the way and let her choice be her choice. :)

Regarding the :spend:, you'll spend at least the price of the P30 if you buy her something she doesn't love and wants it replaced.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Then get out of the way and let her choice be her choiccoveredegarding the :spend:, you'll spend at least the price of the P30 if you buy her something she doesn't love and wants it replaced.

I know, I know. I'm merely looking to make sure all the options have been covered. Nothing more.

:spend: isn't a thing when you factor potential spenditures on ammo for a new shooter. This'll be the only 9mm in the stable and I just crested the 2k round mark for feeding the hungry bugger. I hope she runs out quickly.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Interesting! I'll make sure she see's the link, however I think I saw an HK T-shirt show up in the mail today and it is in a size much too small for me... :ingo:

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    If she can wait a couple more weeks, the new Walther CCP 9mm will be out.
    It's like a single stack PPQ.
    Great ergos, super easy to rack slide, 8 round single stack.
    I fondled one at the NRA show and was quite impressed.
    Seems like the perfect gun for the ladies.
    Price should be right around $400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6yiyYm63o&feature=youtu.be

Holy crap.... Its a newer generation of the HK P7!!!! at least with the piston system.... exact same setup.... hopefully with the polymer the frame wont get as warm as the P7. (mine never got as bad as others have complained about, but it does get rather warm after 50 rounds through it at the range... but, like this gun, shooting that much is not the purpose of this pistol)

I did a quick read at the Walther Forums and it looks like the ones that have been on display so far are from Cologne, so not really Walther, but Umarex. :(

Last edited:

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If she can wait a couple more weeks, the new Walther CCP 9mm will be out.
    It's like a single stack PPQ.
    Great ergos, super easy to rack slide, 8 round single stack.
    I fondled one at the NRA show and was quite impressed.
    Seems like the perfect gun for the ladies.
    Price should be right around $400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6yiyYm63o&feature=youtu.be

Would have been nearly perfect w/o the thumb safety. With it, the gun will be a non-starter for many shooters.

Top Bottom