• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • endlesstee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Currently I'm living in California (great gun laws here) and getting ready to move back there, to the state from which I joined the Marines. Since I've been gone, I've obtained a wife and a daughter, both of whom I'm very protective.

Anyway, moving to a state where I know I'll have an easier time getting a gun, I'm wondering what I should be looking for. Throughout my life I've been around a good deal of firearms, from a range of shotguns to the old reliable Marine Corps weaponry--I've even fired a SASR. However, handguns are new to me. During my time in the Marines I never enjoyed firing the M9's because I felt like their trigger pull was way too long. The one time I went to a range with a 1911, I was more than impressed, however I'm worried about keeping a single action pistol around, let alone one with as much power as the .45 packs. My only other handgun experience was with my father's police issued .38 snubnose... a gun i wouldn't dare own, for fear of actually hitting the broad side of a barn... in Los Angeles.

What, if any, combination of pistol and rounds will give me the same feel of the 1911 with some degree of confidence that only my target will be affected when shot?

By the way, if this has been covered in a previous post, I apologize. I tried to search but couldn't find anything. Honestly, this whole forums/threads thing is new to me.

Thanks for the help.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well a .45 is a good place to start. It's a big slow moving round. Hence no worry of over penetration. There are some good 45's out there with thumb safeties. Are you wanting a polyer frame, or all steel? Something for the just the house I assume?

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    tons of threads similar to this one, but i would surely recommend a mossy or rem pump 12ga instead of a pistol for home D.

to me, its a much better tool for the job you have mentioned.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    First off welcome to a great forum :ingo:, and congrats on your decision to move back to the Great State of Indiana.

For home defense I don't believe you can beat a shotgun, Mossberg 590a1 is a fantastic shotty (as well as the 500 series), Remington 870 is just as good.

I really think that a 1911 would make you a great gun and considering the fact that you have to first disengage the thumb safety, then the grip safety and then pull the trigger I don't think you can get much safer. But there are plenty of really good .45's out there depending on what you want. Springfield XD .45 compact 4" barrel gives you a great combination with the 10 rd mag for carry and a 13 rd. mag for at home and comes with the grip safety, or you could go with the Glock .45's (I have the Glock 30 and really like it).

Good luck with your search and make sure to keep us updated on your decision and your move.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Get a big dog..:D Any 9mm or bigger hand gun and or short barreled shot gun bigger than a 410 will do just fine. Make sure you load the shot gun with number 4s or bigger, but 00 will be the best.:twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Shotgun for starters. When you get settled in, go ahead and apply for your LTCH, License to Carry Handgun.

While you are waiting the couple of months for that to process, just ask members here for help. Many of us love to go shoot anyway and would have no problem letting you tag along to the range to put a few rounds down range to help you decide.

I'll be the first to offer up my Glock 23. I prefer .40 caliber because it offers higher power than a 9mm, while also giving me higher capacity magazines. Other great bullet launchers in this caliber include Springfield Armory XDm and Smith-Wesson M&P models.

Thank you for your service Marine :patriot:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The day after you get here go out to the range with some guys from the forum and shoot a variety of pistols. That experience will save you but $ of trial and error.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The day after you get here go out to the range with some guys from the forum and shoot a variety of pistols. That experience will save you but $ of trial and error.
    I think this great advice, and something that I recommend all the time as well. Handguns are so dramatically different, it just makes sense to shoot a variety of them before deciding which way to go. I would also involve your wife and anyone else from the household who might have occassion to use the firearm(s) that you ultimately select. You should all be comfortable and confident with the firearm. After settling on your firearm(s) of choice, I would also recommend some training for any of the less experienced shooters.

Having said all that, I agree completely with the comments above that you can't beat a 12 ga. shotgun for home defense. (A very nice Benelli resides under my bed.)

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I agree with the semi-auto and/or the shtgun. The Remington 870, with an extension, can be loaded with six rounds and the saftey lever has to be activated the put a round into battery. In my opinion, this renders the gun safe to younger children as they will be unable to rack in a round, dis-engage the safety and discharge a round. The semi-auto can be stored with a clip and it would take an older child to rack in a round or the clip can be disengaged an inserted when needed. I the gun is stored deeply then it can negate its use as a protected weapon.

One other think to considere for a house gun is lighting. You have an advantage in a dark house because it is your house but lighting is an important factor. It is important to have secondary lighting in dark conditions. Make sure that you try clearing your house in the dark. I have had good luck with night lights. This provides a small backlight to the bad guy withour overle exposing your cover.

Botton line practice, know your equipment and practive.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A shotgun is a great choice, although you will lose some maneuverability, and its more susceptible to a grab.

If you're going the handgun route, find something that holds a lot of bullets and you can shoot well. Personally, I'm a fan of striker-fired pistols that don't require releasing a manual safety or decocking.

Some models to consider (assuming this only has the single role of home defense):

Glock 17
    Glock 34
    XD9
    XDm 9mm
    M&P9

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    .45 will really penetrate walls so misses could hit your family. A shotgun with birdshot is your best bet for in house security. Up close birdshot is nasty. Plus you can switch over to a slug when accuracy is needed. There is no safe gun or anyway to guarantee no over penatration except for maybe franjiable rounds. Im sure I spelt that wrong, oh well. Any gun will do if you have a plan before you have to use it.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Check out the Glock 30. It is compact, in case you decide to concealed carry. Runs like a watch chambered in .45 cal. Most 1911's are quite heavy in comparison to polymer guns. There are sub compact 1911 like the Kimber CDPII but I hear they have some reliability issues. I have no experience with that though.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have read that you should not use .357 mangle-ums for HD defense because in a dark room, the muzzle flash will blind you (and the sound will deafen you).

i dont know if this is true, but it kinda makes sense. i guess you could always load it with some good .38 spc rounds though. i do think revolvers are a good choice. no safety, little doubt the gun wont fire when the trigger is pulled, etc.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Semper Fi, :patriot: and welcome to the forum.

If the mechanics are right, you can shoot any caliber you choose. Find something that's comfortable for you. If the gun isn't comfortable in your hands, you won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it, and if you're not proficient with it, you may as well carry a ball bat.

You get anywhere between Indy and Ft. Wayne, holler and we'll try some different handguns on , and see what you think.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    +1 on the shotgun w/ bird shot. 00 buck and larger shot go through walls as well. I guess drywall doesn't stop much. I have an 870T with a Surefire light mounted on it.

+1 on a DA revolver. If you have a misfire, just pull the trigger again. Don't have to worry about jams or mag issues. Or safety manipulation.

Whatever you choose, practice, practice, practice. Until you can run it with your eyes closed. If you don't shoot something very well in the light, how good are you going to be in the dark?

I love my 1911's. I have a couple of Glocks that I think highly of. But a Sig P220 lives in my nightstand.

Top Bottom