What if you carry but walk your child to and from school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    it seems as though the IC specifically states that dropoff/pickup from a school is ok for carry
    as long as the gun is secured in vehicle?
    well...what if you live so close to the school that you walk your child to and from?

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    I am not a lawyer, but I did stay in a Holiday INN last night. I would say that as long as you drop your child at the property line of the school that you are well within your rights to carry no matter what the sheeple may say.

Gunner

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can only take them up to the front door of the school if the front door opens directly to the driver's side of a lane of motor vehicle travel, or onto a public sidewalk. If there is a gap between your driver's door and the front door of the school, that's as close as you can get while driving. If there is a gap between the closest approach of a public sidewalk and the front door of the school, that's as close as you can get while walking.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    they release the kids one at a time to an "authorized" adult that has a specific window decal.
    cars pull up in line with passenger doors facing school. kids are released one at a time to front vehicle...
    or to a parent that has walked up and checked in with the teacher. I don't go any farther than the
    sidewalk in front of the doors (on school property) at the "dropoff/pickup" zone.
    I walk up to the same area where the vehicle dropoff/pickup is (which is where teachers walk students out to)

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    The way the IC is worded, one can only be the driver of a vehicle dropping off or picking someone up at the school, they can NOT step foot out of the vehicle. Since that is the ONLY civilian exemption, then even dropping off or picking up on school property walking while carrying you would be under legal jeopardy if you step one foot onto school property.

Gunner

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    When I was a kid, the route taken to get to school was deemed school property as well for disciplinary reasons. That meant if you walked, your sidewalks you walk on. Or if you ride the bus, the bus stop.

You may be ok, you may not.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    quite frankly I get the feeling that I shouldn't even take one step (outside of a vehicle) onto school grounds while carrying.
    I never have and I don't plan on it in the future. but I have pondered the notion because:
    my problem is what to do about the 2 vicious dogs near my neighborhood on the walk home with my daughter.
    god forbid if those dogs ever got loose because they are frickin' ferocious.
    they're neglected, penned up, and ready to tear something or someone's head off!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Are you safe if let's say you go to pick up your kid from practice, and they take longer than expected so you park your vehicle and turn it off but not set foot out of said car?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    they release the kids one at a time to an "authorized" adult that has a specific window decal.
    cars pull up in line with passenger doors facing school. kids are released one at a time to front vehicle...
    or to a parent that has walked up and checked in with the teacher. I don't go any farther than the
    sidewalk in front of the doors (on school property) at the "dropoff/pickup" zone.
    I walk up to the same area where the vehicle dropoff/pickup is (which is where teachers walk students out to)

Well, if it's like most schools then I must say that if you're carrying you're committing a felony. Stop it. And erase your posts. Admitting to a felony online will do you no good in the long run. If you're on school property and you have a firearm on you then you're breaking the law. Unless you're in a vehicle picking up you're not good to go.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Well, if it's like most schools then I must say that if you're carrying you're committing a felony. Stop it. And erase your posts. Admitting to a felony online will do you no good in the long run. If you're on school property and you have a firearm on you then you're breaking the law.

As I stated in an earlier post, "I never have [carried onto school property] and I don't plan on it in the future."
    I just got my LTCH and I've been studying up on the law(s) for the past few months.
    and as I just started walking my daughter home from school each day, I thought this to be a good question to pose.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As I stated in an earlier post, "I never have [carried onto school property] and I don't plan on it in the future."
    I just got my LTCH and I've been studying up on the law(s) for the past few months.
    and as I just started walking my daughter home from school each day, I thought this to be a good question to pose.

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli. Or drive a car to pick your kid up and carry. That would solve the dog problem, too.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    well...what if you live so close to the school that you walk your child to and from?

That's great! Man, you have your life organized.

Just don't go on school property.

IC 35-47-9-2 Version a
    Possession of firearms on school property or on a school bus; felony
    Note: This version of section amended by P.L.172-2013, SEC.13. See also following version of this section amended by P.L.158-2013, SEC.601, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property; or
    (2) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.172-2013, SEC.13.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And dont forget according to the IC, if you and your wife BOTH carry, whomever isnt driving the car that day is illegal if you both go on the run with your sidearms. Only the driver (who must always be in control of the vehicle to remain legal, so no getting out of the drivers seat) is allowed to carry. The armed parent in the passenger seat would be illegal in that instance. :xmad:

Personally I think its BS and while its better than it COULD be, it could be better (you are good as long as you dont exit the vehicle with the weapon no matter what seat you are in, etc).

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    If you're worried about vicious dogs you should just carry a baseball bat or walking stick during the walk. Unless they are pit bulls (not that I have anything against pits, but they are strong dogs) you shouldn't have any problems.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    it seems as though the IC specifically states that dropoff/pickup from a school is ok for carry
    as long as the gun is secured in vehicle?
    Simple, don't get caught.

Top Bottom