• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I grew up in Detroit and only moved to Indy about 8 years ago. I've been to Chicago a number of times. Sometimes for a day, sometimes longer. I just came back from a weekend there.

What I learned in Chicago

• They accept American money. Who knew?
    • Traffic sucks. A lot. Even on the toll roads which also suck. Detroit's sucks too, but mostly because the roads are all falling apart. Chicago's sucks because there are too damn many cars and too damn many intersections and expressway interchanges.
    • If you don't know your way around, you better have a GPS. Even then, you will make at least one wrong turn per hour.
    • Find out what "The Loop" is before you go. No one in town will tell you. If you ask them, they will look at you like you just grew a second head.
    • Most of the Downtown area is fairly nice and fairly clean, and there are lots of things to do and see. More things than you can do in a weekend.
    • You better like Chicago-style pizza and Chicago-style hot dogs or you're going to have a problem finding things to eat, in spite of the massive number of restaurants.
    • Chicago-style pizza is only available in Chicago. Anyone else claiming to sell a "Chicago-style pizza" (especially if they call it a "stuffed pizza") is lying. It's almost always just one pizza upside down on top of another one, which is not anything at all like a real Chicago-style pizza. A real Chicago-style pizza is more like a pizza-flavored quiche.
    • Chicago is a sports town. You think Indianapolis is a sports town, but you're dead wrong. You're so wrong that you don't even realize what a black hole for sports Indiana is. You have the Colts and the Pacers. That's it. And no one but Hoosiers cares about either one. Even Detroit's a bigger sports town than Indy and Detroit is practically a ghost town.
    • Chicago is windy. All the time. Hence the moniker "The Windy City". I don't think it actually gets warm until mid-July.
    • I don't like being disarmed (not even a knife) for three days.
    • The U-505 is the only Type IX-C U-Boat left and one of only five U-Boats total remaining. In the entire world. Five. You won't get as good a look at the inside as you'd like.
    • Everyone is making money off of Obama except for you. You can't go ten feet without finding someone selling his book, t-shirts, cardboard cutouts, collector's plates, belt buckles, commemorative plaques, photographs, wall art, and pretty much anything else you can slap either The Annointed One's image on or the Presidential Seal.
    • Everything in Chicago is expensive. From the gas that's 40 cents more than ours (in the city, it's 60 cents more) to the toll roads, the restaurants, taxis, food, admission to EVERYTHING...
    • My Sprint Treo 700 phone works much better in Chicago than anywhere in Indiana.
    • Molly's Cupcakes sells the "Ron Bennington". If you don't know what that means, you need to find out as quickly as possible. Make the trip, if necessary.
    • Chicago has great restaurants, great museums, great attractions, great architecture, great hockey (and some other sports, I guess), and you couldn't pay me enough money to live there.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What *I* learned in Chicago is that I still really love spending time with Scutter and our daughter. I just can't get enough of them... Ok, well sometimes I can.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Hah! I spend almost every weekend up there now! It's a great place to go.

I can give you a few places to go eat if you'd like. Try Piece up on North avenue, somewhere just East of Damen (1800 block or so). They have a brewery and make great pizza and have neat toppings. Try the mashed potatoes!

Goose Island is another great place to get food and great beer!

Old Oak Tap is another place the gf and I go every weekend. It's a few blocks West of Damen on Chicago. They have an enormous selection of beer and very good food that isn't expensive at all. The Maudite Red ale is great stuff! Watch out- the Srirachi Wings are HOT!!! They come with a wasabi aoli sauce that is just as hot so as for ranch!!!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am so happy that I do not live there any longer.
    But I did have some great experiences and opportunities.
    Getting to personally meet and talk (alone) with Steve Forbes was cool.
    Bumping into Walter Payton (sp?) many times around my area was cool, too.
    A person could eat at a different place for B, L, D, and night time clubs and never have to visit the same place twice. They keep closing and opening places so fast that there are more than you can visit.

Aside from things to do, and stuff to eat, I think Chicago sucks as a place to raise a family, that thus why I am here.

Except for the Chicago Auto Show, I have no desire to return much at all. Especially until they get friendlier towards 2A issues. I was once in the room next to Mayor Daley when he was running for mayor. I stepped over to watch him give a news conference. Such a pity he hates America like he does.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We took our daughter to Ed Debevic's hoping they'd give her the royal treatment. We had a nice waiter though. sigh... She did tell him that the waiters were all being rude. hehehe It wasn't until after we left though that we told her they were suppose to be rude. The waiter behind us was sitting on one table with his feet up on another table while taking their order. She just couldn't believe how rude they were. So she thought she'd tell them. It was cute.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Won Kow, upstairs in Chinatown has the best Dim Sum in the city. Chinatown also has one of the very few Dragon Walls in the world, a nice picture spot for the scrap book.

Don't miss Lincoln Park Zoo, its small, its FREE and you can usually find FREE parking too. Take a short walk north to the Peggy Nortbart Museum, they have a 2 story butterfly room where you walk in and its full of live butterflies. Literally thousands of them.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Where were you guys before we left?? hehehehe

Hey, we did all the things we had planned to do and still had stuff left over that we didn't have time for. There's time for all of that other stuff some other time.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I woulda mentioned the LPZ but there's a LOT of people there you may not be happy to deal with in CQ! LOL!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Like Ed Debevics, DICKS is/was a bar where the staff was rude, but in an R rated sense. They had good blues music and a dirt floor.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Parking there will rob you! We always say, "you have to pay to **** in Chicago." lol. It's a nice city though. There is a Jewish restaraunt called Manny's that is KILLER. I would sugest anyone try it if they see it. I forget the exact location. Shopping is great...They have awesome Thrift stores too. The shots you get on your camera are Amazing too. It's a beautiful City. We are there often.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    We took our daughter to Ed Debevic's hoping they'd give her the royal treatment. We had a nice waiter though. sigh... She did tell him that the waiters were all being rude. hehehe It wasn't until after we left though that we told her they were suppose to be rude. The waiter behind us was sitting on one table with his feet up on another table while taking their order. She just couldn't believe how rude they were. So she thought she'd tell them. It was cute.
    Then they went back and rolled your food on the floor... ;)

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Ed Debevics is still one of the few places I remember from my last trip to downtown Chicago. Pretty good 50's diner food, like a better albeit overpriced Steak n Shake, it's been a solid 10 years since I've last been into Chicago though. I've been to the NW suburbs (Lincolnshire/Buffalo Grove) the last two years in a row for training, but I didn't actually go into downtown Chicago, so it wasn't too bad.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We stayed on the west side outside of Chicago. My plan was to ride the train in but we ended up driving the entire weekend. We stayed at Hyatt Place in Lombard which was really nice. Here's what our hotel room looked like.. We had 2 double beds but our daughter slept on the fold out couch. I think she felt like she had her own little room with that wall divider.

j6kkfl.jpg

CaNdYMaN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    north side.
    i lived just outside chicago for a year. the city is awesome. but the outskirts are boring. and the term windy city actually goes way back to some political thing because the government was always fluctuating with things. something like that but then it changed to it actually being windy haha.

Top Bottom