• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm going to be buying some new hearing protection for the range. Back in the day I used the foam ear plugs, but after I switched to the electronic ear muffs there was just no going back for me. Having said that it's been a few years for the Caldwell's I've got getting tossed around in the back of vehicle and they aren't what they used to be. I knew getting into this that for the $35 I spent on them they probably weren't the best out there. Now here I am a little older and hopefully wiser and I want to get the best pair of electronic ear muffs out there so that when I'm old I'm not any more deaf than I have to be.

With that in mind I have heard a lot of good things about peltor. When I got looking I saw that they also made an electonic ear muff that has a small radio in it as well. I've got a large yard that's going to take a while to mow and the radio might be nice.

Do any of you here have a recommendation for a set of quality electronic ear muffs? I'd rather spend the money and get a good set that's going to last.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I either use foam earplugs or the set of custom fit earplugs I had made a couple of years ago. The custom fit plugs let you hear normal converstaion but dampen gunshots and other loud noises. I don't see anything wrong with the foam ear plugs. I have worn plastic and then foam earplugs for over 40yrs at the glass factory where I work and my hearing is still normal for my age. The noise levels at the factory reach 140 decibels. Maybe I would change my mind if I shot a magnum rifle caliber.:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I bought a set of Peltor Sound-Traps because I wanted a set of good ear-pro for some training classes last year. Love how they fit and hold up but the battery life is horrid (or I just bought cheapo batteries...). Think I snagged mine $65 "on sale" @ Botach.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I ended up buying a peltor, but I went with the AM/FM radio model so that I could also use them while mowing. I'm pretty excited about getting into a quality set of ear pro.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I see that you already placed your order, but for any future readers, check out the review that esrice posted... Very informative! It's what convinced me to get my Peltor Tactical Sports. Very glad I spent the money on them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My peltor ear pro has arrived. Wow, doesn't even begint o describe the difference between the feel of quality between these Peltor's versus the old Caldwells I had been using. I've only played around with it around the house with the kids and so far I think it's great. Last night my little girl was just singing and dancing and depending on how I turned the dial I couldn't hear any of it. In addition to that the radio is awesome, as I could tune out my daughter and turn up the radio or vice versa. If only they made of these my couldn't see while she's trying to show me something on pinterest. Assuming a successful trip to the range, I think I'm going to be very happy with these. Well worth the money.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Do yourself a favor and go read the report/review by Esrice a few weeks ago. VERY good info and I followed up with a purchase of the Peltor Tactical model and am very satisfied. Good luck and safe shooting!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Over the last 18 years, I've used a variety of electronic earmuffs. So far, the best overall has been the Howard Leight. Second (close) is the Radian model that is the same that Dillon sells with their brand. I've never had good luck with Peltors. The pairs I've owned would not amplify very much.

For long guns, I have to wear plugs only. Usually Surefire.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I like Peltors. Use the tac sports most of the time and sometimes the tac 6s behind the head set up.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For Plugs I generally wear Surefire Plugs, most comfortable plugs I have ever used. I have actually slept with them in...

For Muffs, I am playing with a set of Peltor 6S, they work pretty good the most annoying them about them is to change batteries you have to take the muffs off...

Top Bottom