• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have a medium size handgun safe and as im planning to buy a long gun I need to get a bigger safe.
    I also have too much ammo for the size of my safe and have to keep some boxes outside the safe which I do not like.

I see prices starting at $400/500 for a cheap Sentry safe or Stack-on like you can find at Walmart going all the way to $800 and over $1000 for Liberty safes.

I know that they dont all have the same quality even if they kinda all look alike (shiny with neat paint job) but I also know that you can break into the more expensive safes with enough time too anyway.

So what level of quality is good enough?:dunno:

What brands are good and what are cheap chinese poorly made ones?

I dont have a lot of money to spend on a safe but I dont want to get the cheapest crapiest safe either.
    Im looking for a good quality-price ratio.

Thanks to anyone who could help. :patriot:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been happy with the safes that Dicks Sporting Goods sells. And they fall in your price range.

Anyone can break into a safe with enough time. So, I just try to find a nice one, with enough room, and make sure it's fireproof.

You could also look into Johnson Safe. Which will be at the 1500 Gun show. And also INGO advertisers.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Another option would be to call local safe & lock companies to see if they have any used safes in-stock. After looking at all the major manufacturers of gun safes for a couple months, this was the route I eventually took. Found an older, fireproof safe from a local dealer for $750 delivered. There were no shelves or gun racks, so I had to make my own. It turned out to be an enjoyable project as I was able to customize the interior to my own specifications.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I realized that I was going to fill whatever size safe I bought, so I went the dual route. Got a big expensive fire/waterproof liberty safe that I keep in my basement and view as a kinda "long term storage," keep gun/ammo, backups of my computers (on tape), various important papers, etc in. Then for more immediate use (night defense, stuff I take to the range a lot, cool new toys) I have a smaller Sentry upstairs in my bedroom. Its secured to several wall joists and a metal plate in the floor (no clue WHY the plate was in the floor, but it was so im not going to argue with it) so im not woried about anyone jacking it if my home was broken into while im away, and it lets me lock up stuff where I can easily get at it.

If I had to do it again I think I would just get a single massive Ft Knox safe and call it a day. Hire someone to move it in for you though, nothing like trying to get a 1500 pound safe down a flight of stairs :/

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    What about the Stack-on's? Are they worth the money or throwing it away? I'm also in the market for a larger safe.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What about the Stack-on's? Are they worth the money or throwing it away? I'm also in the market for a larger safe.

Im wondering the same.Stack-on and Sentry are the two cheapest brands I could find.
    I wonder what's the difference of quality between the two.

:dunno:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The idea of "have a good safe and a user safe" is valid. When they give the size in guns figure in about half that amount if yours have scopes. If it says it will fit 50 guns figure 25 to 30 with scopes. You can never seem to get enough in them.

During the fall/christmas rush time frame tractor supply has the 589 special. Nothing fancy fireproof but lower rated. Better than the stack on at a little higher price. Heavy but not massive. I bet they could set you up for a while. Plus it is not so massive when you go to move you can take it with you or when you can afford a better one it will not be a pain in the but to move it. Two guys and a appliance dolly and a johnny gate truck.

Liberty had a fat boy that is nice. It is very expensive and massive. better get it delivered and measure the door.

Everybody wants to see a big Johnson safe in the bedroom.

A friend in an apartment had one at the end of the bed like a gun chest and it worked well. When covered up with some female matching cover it looks like a setting area in front of the bed.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    You need to decide if you want a fire safe or just a theft prevention safe. If you just want a theft prevention safe then an inexpensive Sentry safe will do the trick. I have a couple and the key to them is keeping them out of sight out of mind. If you have a bigger safe for fire protection then you can mount it anywhere you want without worry.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You need to decide if you want a fire safe or just a theft prevention safe. If you just want a theft prevention safe then an inexpensive Sentry safe will do the trick. I have a couple and the key to them is keeping them out of sight out of mind. If you have a bigger safe for fire protection then you can mount it anywhere you want without worry.

Sentry have some fire safes that are quite cheap.
    That's what im looking for, both fire and theft protection.
    I dont know if you really need fire protection for just guns and ammo but im planning to secure other things too like documents.

Will your ammo in your safe explode if there is a fire in your house and the safe has no fire protection? :dunno:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Sentry have some fire safes that are quite cheap.
    That's what im looking for, both fire and theft protection.
    I dont know if you really need fire protection for just guns and ammo but im planning to secure other things too like documents.

Will your ammo in your safe explode if there is a fire in your house and the safe has no fire protection? :dunno:

It can even with fire protection, depends on its burn rating, length and heat of fire. Most safes come with a 30-60 minute burn rating at a specified max heat rating.
    My use and most people I know is for securing firearms and other valuables. The fire rating is an extra security measure, but if a fire is hot enough most everything in the safe is an insurance write off.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It can even with fire protection, depends on its burn rating, length and heat of fire. Most safes come with a 30-60 minute burn rating at a specified max heat rating.
    My use and most people I know is for securing firearms and other valuables. The fire rating is an extra security measure, but if a fire is hot enough most everything in the safe is an insurance write off.

I guess even if hundreds of rounds of ammo were to explode during a fire because of the heat it wouldnt do much to the safe right?

Im just concerned that someone could get hurt by the explosion (like firefighters or family) if all my ammo were to explode outside the safe.
    That's why I like to keep it in a safe.Also to keep them away from thiefs and kids of course.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I guess even if hundreds of rounds of ammo were to explode during a fire because of the heat it wouldnt do much to the safe right?

Im just concerned that someone could get hurt by the explosion (like firefighters or family) if all my ammo were to explode outside the safe.
    That's why I like to keep it in a safe.Also to keep them away from thiefs and kids of course.

Ammunition usually will not cook off and fire the projectile so that is not an issue. It may pop the primer but that should be it. The U.S. military used to throw thousands of rounds of ammo into a fire before leaving an area during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. That is not to say that one can't cook off but it should not be an issue. The biggest thing with ammunition is to keep it dry which is why I would not spend the money on a nice safe just to store it. The firearms are a whole other scenario and you should buy the nicest safe you can afford. If you are anything like me you will end up having a dedicated documents safe anyway which will be seperate from your guns.

localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Liberty Fatboy it what I got the BIGGER THE BETTER..64 gun safe..Blythes offered a nice lawaway plan which alot of local dealers probably do...Thats something I would look into if money is tight..Maybe buy a cheap safe for the meantime and get something bigger put on layaway

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I bought mine used from a coin dealer, at a big savings. A good used one from a safe dealer should work fine, too.

The big one stays in the garage. It is too heavy, and big, to put in the house.

Top Bottom