• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been seeing reports of Coyotes near houses.
    We seem to have a lot of feral cats (someone is feeding the buggers) which might be a tempting food source.
    If you saw a coyote in the back yard, assuming other houses were close by, what would you take for protection?
    Would a 12 gauge with trap loads stop it at 6-20 yards?
    I don't want to hunt them in the backyard, but I don't want a rabid one wandering the neighborhood, either.
    And, I doubt IMPD would consider a coyote call to be emergent enough to get there in time to do anything.
    Any advice, other than move to the country where I can use .458 Winchester?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Winchester (I think) makes a specific 12 gauge shell for Coyote. Personally I have never been close enough to one for a 12 Gauge to be an effective tool.
    If you come out the Coyote will bolt.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I just don't think coyotes like cats. We've had multiple cats who are all outdoor-types for 25+ years and (unfortunately) have never lost a cat to the coyotes that I see all the time. My guess is that cats taste lousy but I've not ever sampled one.

But to quote the Indiana DNR information regarding "nuisance" coyotes:

Landowners, or a person with written permission from a landowner, may take coyotes year-round on private property by snaring, trapping or shooting without a permit from the DNR. A landowner does not need a permit to take coyotes on his/her property by one of these methods, but a hunting or trapping license is required to hunt or trap coyotes on land other than your own.

There are no requirements as to caliber and such as there are with deer hunting. So you can use anything you choose as long as it's legal. I would say that you should use an "appropriate" firearm so that you lower the risk of simply injuring the animal and causing undue suffering while at the same time considering the location you are shooting and how too powerful a cartridge may pose a danger to others.

It's not clear whether you live in the city limits or not. If you do, please verify that you can lawfully discharge a firearm to take a nuisance animal. If not, then the bow or crossbow might be an option.

Remember, just because it's lawful to shoot a coyote per the DNR, it's not necessarily lawful to discharge your firearm in a city.

But anyway, back to your original question. I've used .22-250, 5.56, and 300 BLK effectively against coyote. .22LR just doesn't drop them.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm about 1/4 mile inside Marion County.
    If it runs off, I'll let it go, unless it's charging a small child.
    If it growls and comes toward me, I think that's reason to take it out. I've heard rabid animals often act this way.
    Because of surrounding houses, I'd prefer to use shot.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You mentioned IMPD so I am assuming you're within city limits. Assuming you could justify the discharge of a firearm to the men in blue at your front door (BIG assumption!), your EDC will probably put it down.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Chances are decent that it's against the law to use a firearm anyhow... Be aware for the potential for repercussions should you follow through.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    We have coyotes in our area. Ive never heard of them bothering any people. they dont bother us and we dont bother them.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My sister-in-law lives in Westfield. She let her two Yorkies out into the backyard. A short time later one of them wanted back in so she let it in. Then she looked out and saw three coyotes sniffing the other Yorkie. She yelled and they bolted.

They never wanted guns in the house until all the crap started happening in that area as far as crime. Yet still my brother-in-law didn't want a gun in the house (they know nothing about them). But now, They both want a gun from me. I told my wife "no, I'm not giving them a gun so they can take a pot-shot at a coyote in the backyard in their subdivision". They stand just as good of a chance of hitting their dog as they do the Coyote.

Call the DNR or animal control and see if they will trap it for you.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Chances are decent that it's against the law to use a firearm anyhow... Be aware for the potential for repercussions should you follow through.

The same exceptions for justifiable shooting of a human assailant applies to a non-human threat. But it would be hard to prove it either way. Just depends on your neighborhood and whether or not folks might call police if they heard what they thought was a gunshot.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I keep hoping the coyotes will make a snack of our obnoxious little dog. I keep hoping my wife will back over him in the driveway but he is too fast. I keep giving him extra food hoping the extra fat will slow him down.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I keep hoping the coyotes will make a snack of our obnoxious little dog. I keep hoping my wife will back over him in the driveway but he is too fast. I keep giving him extra food hoping the extra fat will slow him down.
    :rockwoot:Y
    Too funny. .22 cal precharged suppressed airgun would work in the back yard. .22 short in the ear. 12 ga. is kinda loud but "t" shot or anything bigger than bb at across the yard distance should work.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Others have said it.. but i'll say it again.

Please don't discharge a firearm at a coyote in the neighborhood unless you truly feel your life is in danger, and use your ccw for that... the amount of things to go wrong here are not worth a pot shot at a coyote. A big stick will scare one off, animal control can set a trap, or you can set a trap.

I shoot at em almost weekly off the back deck, I have zero love for the varmints. But i'm in the middle of bfe.

Top Bottom