What else do you carry? When Have you had to use it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I went and read through the post "What else do you carry besides your pistol?" and saw a bunch of stuff I hadn't considered before. But I would like to know if, and under what circumstances, you've had to use any of these additional items? I will definitely start carrying a light, it seems to be one of the top carry items next to a knife, which I have covered.

A reply that you needed your bandanna while at to golf course or while out fishing because of an emergency bathroom break isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone, and really hope that replies may help other decide about what they/we need to add to or daily carry kits.

Doug

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Used my lights lots of times. They are very handy for things besides defensive situations. Knives, too. Never for a defensive situation, but for just about every other utilitarian purpose one could imagine.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Last week I used my Spyderco to fix the paper towel dispenser at the Creation Museum in Kentucky. As I was taking my son in to wash his hands before lunch, a guy came out and said "Good luck, there are no towels". It was one of those automatic jobs and I could see towels in there. So, I flipped open my knife, used it to twist the little latch to open it and fed the towels through properly. My son was all :n00b::bowdown: the whole time.

Yeah, I'm :cool:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife carried pepper spray back in college. Hosed down a very aggressive panhandler (stuck his hand through her slightly-open car window and started screaming at her), and emptied 2 cans on an ex-boyfriend (the cops didn't want to touch him afterward. Can't blame them!). I call her the "freak magnet". For some reason, "less desirables" seem to target her.

I use my knife daily for more mundane tasks. I need a small flashlight, still. I also carry a USB thumb drive that gets used daily (let's me keep some personal stuff off of my work computer). Only other item I carry is a wallet, and I use it WAY too often!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lights, knives, lighters, and phones all have their obvious uses, so I won't mention them.

As far as a bandanna/hankerchief goes, every gentleman should carry one. It's part of the art of manliness. See link.

Why Carry a Handkerchief? | The Art of Manliness

In addition to the uses mentioned in the article, you can open bathroom doors (you'd rather not touch), do some rough water filtration, use as an emergency wound dressing or tourniquet, wear it like a mask and keep the dust out of your nose, use it as a restraint, etc. Light, thin, carries in any pocket, yet very handy.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I guess I didn't explain as clearly as I could have.

I am looking for instances like: "I was on my way to ________ and my truck flipped and I was stuck for 97 days and my _________ saved my life because I ___________ with it." Or "While on a camping trip, my _________ _________ and I used my ___________ to build ________."

You know, the stories on the news where the guy was hiking, a big rock fell on his arm and he had to cut it off to survive. Had he not has his Multi-tool with him, who knows what would have happened.

Those are the types of stories or uses you may have had to resort to in an emergency.

Thanks again

Doug

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    If anyone on this forum has had to cut their arm off to survive, I would like to shake their hand (the one they still have that is)......

Can u imagine having to do something like this with no pain medication not knowing if you were going to bleed out.....that guy had one hell of a will to survive!

Carrying a light is a good idea though, I carry a variety of diff knives when not at work, while at work I carry one of those utility knives that uses the box blades, I can give it he'll and not worry about it.....

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I am looking for instances like: "I was on my way to ________ and my truck flipped and I was stuck for 97 days and my _________ saved my life because I ___________ with it." Or "While on a camping trip, my _________ _________ and I used my ___________ to build ________."

Sounds like someone is incredibly dissapointed that MacGyver is no longer on TV. :dunno:

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I haven't had an "OMFG I'M GONNA DIE IF I DON'T USE THIS" situation, but it's surprising how handy a flashlight comes in, even in broad daylight, and just how much you can use a knife/Leatherman day to day.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville

You know, the stories on the news where the guy was hiking, a big rock fell on his arm and he had to cut it off to survive. Had he not has his Multi-tool with him, who knows what would have happened.

Those are the types of stories or uses you may have had to resort to in an emergency.

Thanks again

Doug

Doug,
    you have waaaaay too many holes in that story. Could you possibly fill in the blanks so we know "The Rest of the Story?":):

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes

Thanks again

Doug

:postpics:

Top Bottom