• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I know if you rechamber the same round over and over again in certain guns like 1911s, it can set the bullet back into the casing. I wonder what other actions can set the bullet back?

I am wondering does brass checking your gun set the round back? I remember chambering my 1911 once and have only unloaded it and rechambered the same round about once to show someone and than every so often when I take it out of the safe or put it down, I have a habit of brass checking my gun every time I take it out of the safe because it is my home defense gun and it is loaded in the safe I keep it in.

My 1911 is an ATI Thunderbolt and the round that kept getting set back is a Winchester PDX-1 and this has happened twice already

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Rotate carry ammo at least once or twice a year. Also, don't keep rechambering the round. If it is in the safe leave the mag loaded, empty chamber. You aren't going to have instant access anyways, what's another three quarter second?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I can't imagine a press check of your firearm doing anything to the bullet seat depth.
    As long as all you do is pull the slide back just enough to see the brass.
    Which is what I assumed yo were talking about.
    The bullet gets set back because of repeatedly slamming into the feed ramp upon chambering the round from the top of the magazine.
    The cartridge head spaces on the end of the brass or on the rim of the case depending on the actual caliber.
    When you do a press check (brass check) the bullet shouldn't touch anything.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I can't imagine a press check of your firearm doing anything to the bullet seat depth.
    As long as all you do is pull the slide back just enough to see the brass.
    Which is what I assumed yo were talking about.
    The bullet gets set back because of repeatedly slamming into the feed ramp upon chambering the round from the top of the magazine.
    The cartridge head spaces on the end of the brass or on the rim of the case depending on the actual caliber.
    When you do a press check (brass check) the bullet shouldn't touch anything.

^^ Agreed. ^^

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Having too much boxes of loose ammo on top of eachother can cause that as well from what I heard, not that I have seen that myself.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Rechambering the same round multiply times would probably be the most common reason.

I would think the next common reason would be that the bullet was seated too deep initially, and not actually moving back.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have read that bullet setback can happen inside the magazine of a heavy-recoiling firearm just from inertia.
    I agree with this, but I don't think that is what is going on here.
    Since he said 1911 I am assuming a 45 acp.
    A 45 acp or 9mm wouldn't have enough recoil for that.
    The commercially loaded 40 s&w shouldn't either, but some hot .40 hand loads might do that.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not sure about semi's, but I've read about how a bullet will "grow" in length in some revolvers that run magnums. The problems arise I guess when shots are fired, and replaced repeatedly, while leaving one or more rounds in the cylinder. The heavy recoil will start to pull the bullet. Too many times of a round riding in the cylinder while other chambers are fired can result in the cartridge "growing" to the point that it interferes with cylinder rotation.

Now, on the opposite end of that scale. Someone posted about rounds getting setback in a semi-auto rifle mag. Same thing could happen to a handgun mag. Not as likely. but still.
    If you loaded a mag with say 10 rounds. Say you fire 5 of those 10, and then top off the mag.
    Now do this 5 or 10 times, and I could see the bottom 5 rounds in that mag experiencing "setback".

However unlikely, I think it's possible.

YMMV

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    My setback issues were solved with an EGW undersize die. For 9mm. Had issues mostly with Federal Brass, and others. I use mixed brass so the EGW die was the way to go.

Top Bottom