• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I have been leaning towards buying the equipment to reload, with once fired ammo from Precision Cartridge at $210+ tax, is it possible to make 9mm and save much more $ ?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You won't save a cent reloading. Get that in your head now. You'll shoot more - a lot more, and you'll also start getting into more expensive gear.

That being said I highly recommend you get started as soon as possible.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I don't reload to save money. I reload because most factory ammo sucks. My loads are far superior to factory ammo, and are tuned specifically for the firearm. I haven't shot factory ammo in years.

It's not a hobby, it's a science...go for it!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It is much cheaper if you reload using cast bullets. About $63 per 500.

500 115gr or 125gr bullets from Missouri Bullet company = $29 + $13 shipping
    500 primers = about $15
    powder = about $6

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The above posts are so correct. Reload because you want better quality ammo and the ability to shoot more. Also, it gives you something fun to do when the bad weather hits.

As for price... Joe above must use the same sources I do. Only thing I would add would be if you are opposed to always shooting lead, just add maybe another $15.00 per 500 to his price.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, then, $78 per 500 to reload, equals $156 per 1000, plus cost of equipment...

Precision Cartridge factory reloads, $200 per 1000...

For me, I just don't see reloading as being practical...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    i don't get the math above

1000 BBI bullets (free shipping) = $72

1000 Primers = $35

Powder = $12

Brass = free at range

$119 for 1000 rounds...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, then, $78 per 500 to reload, equals $156 per 1000, plus cost of equipment...

Precision Cartridge factory reloads, $200 per 1000...

For me, I just don't see reloading as being practical...

The $156.00 figure would be for plated. Using cast would lower it.

Everyone has to decide whats practical. A persons time spent reloading does have value also. I find reloading enjoyable, so if it takes a hour to load 100, I feel it's worth it. Now, I do draw the line there. With all of sons activities, I choose not to cast my own. I do buy all the cast I use.

One other benefit to reloading that hasn't been mentioned yet was just what we went thru. While non reloaders might of had a little trouble finding particular ammo, or didn't like the price of it, a well stocked reloader was still able to enjoy shooting with fewer adjustments.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i don't get the math above

1000 BBI bullets (free shipping) = $72

1000 Primers = $35

Powder = $12

Brass = free at range

$119 for 1000 rounds...

The difference I see in the math is shipping and price of choosen bullet. The figure I was using was for plated. The other figure was much closer to yours and was for cast. For my circumstances, the additional $15.00 for the plated is well spent. When I use cast, I load for ( 3 ) people . If I spend the little extra, wife jumps in and helps by loading her own. I guess the plated look purty to her and doesn't get her fingers dirty... But again, if it means I get help loading for three, IMO, it's money well spent. I just have to figure out how to swing it where I don't have to clean after shooting for three. :D

hicap30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    I agree on all that was said, but I enjoy the silence away from the wife and daughter, enjoyment of making very accurate ammo, something to do in our boring winters here, and it's just cool experimenting with different powders and loads.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have been leaning towards buying the equipment to reload, with once fired ammo from Precision Cartridge at $210+ tax, is it possible to make 9mm and save much more $ ?

im thinking about the same issue you are right now. i already reload for rifles on a single stage press. there is no way im doing bulk reloading on a single stage again. i did 1000 5.56 and it about killed me. im thinking about biting the bullet and getting a dillon to do 9mm-40-45-5.56

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I do a little at a time when I am board. If I save anything it is not much but I have fun doing it and if I did save any I shoot more. Also I never worry about finding what I want I just make it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm currently reloading 9mm about 75% of factory new, so not a huge amount of savings. And, to be truthful, I shoot more now than I did before.

So, reloading probably in the end only saves money IF you normalize in the $$ per round and not the total amount saved.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Perhaps the savings for 9mm aren't what you are after, but as soon as you start doing calibers like .44 mag or .45 Colt, the saving are exponential. WELL worth starting a hobby such as reloading.

Besides, as others have said, it is enjoyable for me to do it. I enjoy reloading almost more than shooting it. Nothing like making something that works better than what you can buy! I'm out of .40 bullets right now and it's driving me nutty that I can't go in the room and crank out 2 or 3 hundred! Come one USPS!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If all your ever going to shoot is 9mm than no it is not necessarily a cost savings.
    Good cheap 9 can be found.
    If you plan on shooting rifle and other calibers that are not as cheap it can be more cost effective and custom loads can be developed.
    If you time is at a premium and you don't like to tinker with things don't start reloading.
    But if you like to tweak stuff and make it run better, reloading is a great way to satisfy that need.
    Plus it allows me to work with my gun hobby in the winter when the weather keeps me from shooting much.
    I load ammo in the winter and shoot it in the summer.....mostly

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    im thinking about the same issue you are right now. i already reload for rifles on a single stage press. there is no way im doing bulk reloading on a single stage again. i did 1000 5.56 and it about killed me. im thinking about biting the bullet and getting a dillon to do 9mm-40-45-5.56

Exatctly what I'm doing....id rather shoot more if I'm gonna pay similar amounts of money. Mass loading on single stage might induce suicide.

Top Bottom