• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had an interesting discussion with a few fellow truckers tonight about the sound of freedom. A good ole southern boy was driving a sweet stretched Pete and it sounded great. "That there is the sound of freedom boys" came over the cb. Another driver said freedom sounded like a 45º V-Twin with the wind in your face. Another driver who was a veteran said it was silence. Not having explosions 100 yards away went you were sleeping.

So I pose this question to INGO. What does freedom sound like to you? Full auto on an NFA day? A chruch choir on Sunday? Bacon frying on the stove? Your answer can be in fun, serious or philosophical. An explanation with your answer would be good also.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe it sounds like this ... for historical reasons.

[video=youtube;pYsQy3mHV10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYsQy3mHV10[/video]

Sherman_tank_of_29th_Armoured_Brigade,_11th_Armour  ed_Division,_in_Normandy,_11_July_1944._B6980.jpg

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Once when over at the USAF Museum in in Dayton, the kid and I were heading to the car when an F4 Phantom came out of the actual airbase side and kept it down towards the deck after takeoff. He probably come across the museum at around 1,000 feet. The sound shook you where you stood. She asked why it was so loud, and I told her with the biggest smile I could muster "That's because that, is the sound of freedom."

See:
    [video=youtube_share;rdFrQF352rg]http://youtu.be/rdFrQF352rg[/video]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Freedom to me when I was young sounded like a peaceful walk through the woods, or down the railroad tracks hunting rabbits, or a game of hide and seek in the tall corn, or a kegger in the corn with lifelong school
    friends.

Now as an adult, i still like things that go boom but as a hobby. Pretty much the only hobby I have or know well that fits into regular life. They are reminders of war to me and I don't think anything will change that, and a necessary force we must have ready for use To protect ourselves from people trying to take our individual and national freedoms. Whether they wear street clothes, suits, or uniforms.

My ultimate goal,
    Is to gladly retire to the mountains (in another state obviously) with my family and never make another visit to a populated area. The sound of my children playing safely outside away from evil people would be the sound of freedom.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had an interesting discussion with a few fellow truckers tonight about the sound of freedom. A good ole southern boy was driving a sweet stretched Pete and it sounded great. "That there is the sound of freedom boys" came over the cb. Another driver said freedom sounded like a 45º V-Twin with the wind in your face. Another driver who was a veteran said it was silence. Not having explosions 100 yards away went you were sleeping.

So I pose this question to INGO. What does freedom sound like to you? Full auto on an NFA day? A chruch choir on Sunday? Bacon frying on the stove? Your answer can be in fun, serious or philosophical. An explanation with your answer would be good also.

This sounds like a country music song! :patriot:

Here's one I'd add: the playing of The Star-Spangled Banner.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Frogs croaking around a pond about sunset, nice summer evening... That said , an F-16 taking off in full burner, shaking your insides will make the adrenaline pump and make you damn proud that your an American :patriot:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Once when over at the USAF Museum in in Dayton, the kid and I were heading to the car when an F4 Phantom came out of the actual airbase side and kept it down towards the deck after takeoff. He probably come across the museum at around 1,000 feet. The sound shook you where you stood. She asked why it was so loud, and I told her with the biggest smile I could muster "That's because that, is the sound of freedom."

See:
    [video=youtube_share;rdFrQF352rg]http://youtu.be/rdFrQF352rg[/video]

Something similar.
    I was at Aviano AFB back in '96 and you could drive to either end of the runway. Quite a sight to see 4 fighter jets practicing landing/taking off side by side.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Listening to Bill Whittle's most recent Stratosphere Lounge reminded me of this thread.

First I find it amazing that he views TX a standard of freedom. But I suppose it's understandable comparing his life behind the iron curtain in CA to TX.

It's a long listen, but the TX freedom part is at the beginning and is fairly short. And if you want an extended explanation for how the greatest generation produced the worse, that's a pretty long but interesting listen as well.
    [video=youtube;NspxJ4QKZDo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NspxJ4QKZDo[/video]

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The sound of failure, because we can fail. The sound of success because we can succeed, not because we're allowed. The sound of wealth because we have a system in which we can become wealthy in money, or spirit, or both, if we so desire. The sound of those jets, because we have something worth protecting, and because we don't hesitate to protect it for others. The sound of the elderly, holding the (great)grandchildren spellbound with their stories, and being laid to rest with no regrets, after a life that was worth living. The sound of giving your child that first experience they'll remember fondly forever, whether it's hunting, fishing, woodworking, whatever.

There's no sound to it, but it's the most important thing; to be trusted as an adult and citizen, not to do harm.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    F-16 in afterburner.

Frogs croaking around a pond about sunset, nice summer evening... That said , an F-16 taking off in full burner, shaking your insides will make the adrenaline pump and make you damn proud that your an American :patriot:

In the late 1980s I was going thru Norfolk Naval Air Stations when I came upon something.
    A F-14 Tomcat was literally strapped to the ground, the landing gear were bolted to the ground.
    They had screens across the engines to prevent FOD.
    And the engines were pegged.
    It was.......... awesome.

I think they were finishing up engine checks or breakin for new engines.

Top Bottom