What do your wives/fiancés/ girlfriends/better halves carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tflgen2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Westside
    She has her LTCH, P238, and a soft nylon iwb holster but hasn't started carrying yet. Profession has stopped her thus far (teacher). Now that school's out, she will hopefully feel more comfortable doing so.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I find it funny that so many women have no problem with their man being their weapon. However, if their man used them as his shield they would be p****d.

My wife carries a Taurus Ultra Lite 38 +P. All day, every day. She's a hell of a shot as well.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    my gf is still waiting to get her permit but she shoots my 19 great and wants one to purse carry, I'm trying to talk her into a g42 but if she shoots it good and feels comfortable with it why say no.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    my gf is still waiting to get her permit but she shoots my 19 great and wants one to purse carry, I'm trying to talk her into a g42 but if she shoots it good and feels comfortable with it why say no.

Go with the G19. If she shoots it well then why not carry the more capable gun. Or better yet give her your G19 and buy yourself the G42.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

To each their own, but I'm largely against purse carry for a few reasons.

1.) Being a self defense weapon, it would take an unnecessary amount of time to get a handgun out of a purse... unless the firearm is carried in a special purse made for a handgun, with quick access (and if your woman likes fashion, well shes SOL, because those carry purses are HIDEOUS). If a firearm is needed, you best have that thing at the ready in no time at all.
    2.) If the female is involved in some sort of situation where the assailant desires the purse (90% of the time), well where is the handgun... the worst situation a person that EDC's can face is having their trusted weapon in the hands of their attacker.
    and 3.) not saying she would carry like this... but sometimes the less informed will carry without a holster. As we all know, Glocks and most carry handguns don't have safeties. Women have all sorts of crap in their purse (makeup, pens, blah blah blah), that could somehow get into the trigger guard.... veryyyyyy unsafe.

If she likes the operation of the G19 and she shoots that kind of firearm well, I may suggest the G42 like you've mentioned or the S&W M&P9 Shield for IWB carry. Shield has a safety, but the trigger is stiff enough where I'd feel comfortable carrying without the safety utilized.

Just my .02. My woman was the same way until I helped her realize the potential threats/inconveniences of purse carry.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    And you're okay with another guy in the relationship?

As I am the wife, I carry a Taurus 85 (lightweight version) and a Glock 26....at the same time.

My wife does not carry, but she does keep her Sig P238 Rainbow in her night stand cocked and locked. She also has a Taurus 85 in our safe. I'm curious how a lady carries a Taurus 85 and a Glock 26 at the same time. Is one OC and the other CC? If the lady does not want to share her secrets...I understand. :)

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    My wife does not carry, but she does keep her Sig P238 Rainbow in her night stand cocked and locked. She also has a Taurus 85 in our safe. I'm curious how a lady carries a Taurus 85 and a Glock 26 at the same time. Is one OC and the other CC? If the lady does not want to share her secrets...I understand. :)

Goodness, I have trouble carrying 1 gun with my tight pants most days haha. BTW, congrats on your 1000th post! :rockwoot: haha

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Goodness, I have trouble carrying 1 gun with my tight pants most days haha. BTW, congrats on your 1000th post! :rockwoot: haha

Thanks! I didn't notice! Do I get a prize? I was thinking a SP 101 would be nice. Lol. Yeah I rarely carry a back up, but when I do it is one of my little P238s in my pocket. Hope 88GT shares her secret to satisfy my curiosity.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks! I didn't notice! Do I get a prize? I was thinking a SP 101 would be nice. Lol. Yeah I rarely carry a back up, but when I do it is one of my little P238s in my pocket. Hope 88GT shares her secret to satisfy my curiosity.

Hey, if I won the lottery, I'd buy us all an SP 101 (don't hold me to that though!).

Maybe a thigh holster? Ehhhh ehhhhhhh...???

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Taurus is in the "purse" (which is really a Maxpedition bag). Glock is on the hip in a Serpa. The purse carry means I am always armed because sometimes I just don't put on the Glock. The Glock means I am better armed and able to exert positive public relations at the same time.

I'd like to see the stats on the problems with purse carry though. To date, I've read a lot of anecdotal stories of women defending themselves with the firearms in their purses. Not so many stories of the women who became victims because the gun in the purse wasn't deployed in time. Even fewer stories of the purses snatched with firearms in them. I'd bet money police have more firearms stolen than women.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Taurus is in the "purse" (which is really a Maxpedition bag). Glock is on the hip in a Serpa. The purse carry means I am always armed because sometimes I just don't put on the Glock. The Glock means I am better armed and able to exert positive public relations at the same time.

I'd like to see the stats on the problems with purse carry though. To date, I've read a lot of anecdotal stories of women defending themselves with the firearms in their purses. Not so many stories of the women who became victims because the gun in the purse wasn't deployed in time. Even fewer stories of the purses snatched with firearms in them. I'd bet money police have more firearms stolen than women.

Anecdotal but my brother's ex-wife had a gun stolen out of her purse one night--she was/is an idiot though.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not saying it doesn't happen. Simply questioning the premise that the risk is as great as it is made out to be and how that compares to the risk of not carrying a firearm.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    This is something we have yet to discuss.
    My wife has carried my m&p9c in her purse on rare occasions. She is a school teacher, so until July 1, carrying hasn't been a real option for her.
    MACE has been her go to device.
    I hope she chooses to carry, but if she does not, then that is her choice.

Top Bottom