• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C

ChicoCheck

With so many choices out there. I was wondering what most of you here use for ear protection during shooting sessions. A Peltor headset, Howard Leight, Pro Ears? What suggestions do you have and should I go for an electronic headset or not? I know we need ear protection, I read this great article on ear protection, with quite a few suggestions at the bottom of the page, but I'm a newbie at all this and would love to get the suggestion of all those here with experience. Thanks in advance!

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    Howard Leight impact sport. LOVE them. Electronic is the way to go IMO, wish I'd tried them a LONG time ago. Battery life is very good as well.

C

ChicoCheck

Thanks Number. I think that one is a very popular choice on Amazon along with Peltor Tactical Sport and Pro. It seems that the Howard Leight is much more affordable though...

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like the Pro-Ears Stalker model. They are really good at cutting out the loud sounds from a gun, but stay clear and no funny electronic noises/buzz etc for normal conversation.

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    Thanks Number. I think that one is a very popular choice on Amazon along with Peltor Tactical Sport and Pro. It seems that the Howard Leight is much more affordable though...

They also have an audio-in for an mp3 player if you're into that sort of thing. I've never used it, but it's there. Plus, you can crank up the volume on them and hear the ground crunching under your feet. I used them cranked up sitting in the deer blind.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I like my hearing, so Howard Leight muffs or 25db attenuation or higher foam ear plugs, or both for the Mosin and shotgun.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I have some howard leight electronic as well. Really like them. I'll plug my iphone into them and listen to music when I'm training by myself. I also like the surefire earpro. not sure what the model i have but i like the little opening flap thing that allows for better hearing with them still in the ear some have it some don't. Electronic ear pro is where its at. If you can afford it you'll never go back

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Peltor Comtac III ACH Dual Com's
    -Noise reduction rating (NRR) of 21dB
    -Amplifies ambient sounds for better situational awareness and cancels out gun fire noise
    -Compatible with MBITR, PRC148, PRC117 and PRC-150 radios and many others
    -Profiled to fit better while wearing your Helmet (if applicable). In my case they fit under the Crye Precision Airframe perfectly.
    -Dual inputs enable you to plug into two radios at once. In my case one input from Yaesu VX 7R and one from my cell phone
    Peltor_01.jpg

Peltor_02.jpg

Ear seals are available in standard vinyl (as pictured) or gel. I prefer the gel ear seals for improved comfort and sealing when wearing eye protection and chinstraps.
    Peltor_03.jpg

Power is supplied via two AAA batteries that are contained within a watertight compartment.
    Peltor_05.jpg

Two buttons on the left side of the headset control volume and turn the power on and off.
    Peltor_07.jpg

Dual mic ports on the back enable you to mount the boom mic on either the right or left side of the headset.
    Peltor_08.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had been using the Howard Leight R-01523 Leightning L0F Ultra Lightweight NRR 23 Compact Folding Earmuffs since I started going to the range back in October. With all the recommendations I've been seeing on INGO for the HL Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs, I just ordered a pair off Amazon. I love the ones I'd been using, but have a hard time hearing anything when I go with friends to the range. Hoping the new pair will work well for this while still protecting my hearing.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I'm not big on muffs as they get in the way of my cheek weld. Even the light profile ones still rub and make it uncomfortable to me. I use the Surefire EP4 plugs. They have never gotten uncomfortable to me and I've shot from mid morning until it gets dark in the summer with them in.

However, if you go with muffs, the howard leight electronic earmuffs are awesome. Really it's up to personal preference and how much you want to spend on what you'll end up with. Some people like myself say $20 max for earpro, others will spend $100 or more. Whatever is most comfortable to you and your style of shooting is what you should go with.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Cheap "hear-os" or something. Probably need to think about an upgrade. I have a pair of cheap muffs I'll dig out every once in a while too. Wore a pair of pricey electric muffs and they were sweet, but don't know if I could cough up that kinda dough.

Top Bottom