• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    History, in one of it's less important aspects, was made tonight. Major League Baseball used instant replay for the first time. A Rod hit what was ruled a 2-run homer in the top of the 9th at Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay requested, and got, the play reviewed. The umpiring crew chief, (the only person who can implement and rule on a replay) after watching replays not available to TV viewers, upheld the ruling that the ball was fair and a home run. Notable? Yes. Remarkable? Yes, unfortunately!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm glad they've finally implemented instant replay. I like having the means to get calls right -- especially in really critical situations.

My problem with base ball is that it is just too boring to watch an entire game. I get a little more interested during the playoffs, but baseball has a hard time holding my attention.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Well said

That pretty well sums it up, Bigum1969. The game is too slow for it's own good. It's rapidly approaching a statistician's dream (or nightmare depending on point of view) when they can tell you a player is only the 4th one since they started keeping records to go 0 for 5 at the plate and commit an error in the field all in one game! SO WHAT! Next step: Let a computer determine every move a manager makes. That would speed up the game a bit. Follow that up with computerized video umpiring to make sure they get every call right. Eventually "fantasy leagues" could replace the live game and may the best programmer win! :D

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I have no problem with it being used for home runs, but nothing else.

BTW: A Rod, and all the other players for the evil empire can suck a fat one. GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    How about some sensors in the strike zone to automatically determine what is a strike and what is a ball?

I have seen some horrible strike calls (the STL/Cubs game on July 4th was a great example), that would take the guess work out of it.

Top Bottom