What do you like best about your instructor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dunko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    I have had the pleasure of working with a firearms instructor for almost a year and there are a number of things that I really appreciate about him. My top five list looks something like this-

1. He provides me his opinion, backed by real life experience, but he also quick to say " this may not work for you" or "I don't know everything so we can try..." . It is never a my way or the highway conversation.
    2. He adds a tactical oversight to the technique. Why are elbows up in the ready position or why is it important to hold the flashlight this way.
    3. He always brings the real life aspect into play after a drill. Questions I need to ask myself if I ever need to defend myself, What I should be telling those around me after a real life engagement, what to say to law enforcement when they arrive.
    4. He has me thinking tactically in my everyday life. What shoulder is my back pack on when I cary, what hand do I use to hold packages or groceries when I cary, conversations to have with family members when I cary and even a plan should our house be broken into.
    5. He is a huge proponent of training or learning from others. This kind of ties into # 1 in that he encourages me to read and reach out to others to get their perspective.

I know there are a lot of great instructors out there and I feel fortunate to have found one of them. :yesway:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    What I like best in an instructor is when the instructor is committed to improving the lives of their students.

I have been in classes where the instructor(s) seemed to be simply teaching the skills because that was their job. That is fine, I do not fault them at all.

I have also been in classes where the instructor(s) taught the skills because they wanted the students to become stronger/better/harder to kill/better able to save a life. Call me a romantic, but purity of intent means something to me.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I get most of my instruction from Rhino. True, it's mostly about flower arrangements, hairstyles, and snappy dressing hints, but it's still instruction nonetheless.

Top Bottom