• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I have had a few 91/30's but I got another one again today. A really nice sporterized model at the auction in Richmond, I paid $85 + $5.95 tax + $10 in transfer fee. I though it was an ok deal. Some one did a real good job when they did it. Cut done and crowned the barrel. Removed the rear site and added scope mounts. The bolt has not been bent but looks like it was cut off and a new one bolted on so it now is in a downward position. The gun over all is is great condition with only one small spot of rust on the bottom of the mag.

100_3974.jpg

Not the best pic but gives you and idea.

So what your opinion on these as shooters?

Also any scope recommendation?

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    I like the sporterized Mosins. Looking for one myself right now to make the conversion. Can't beat the cost for target shooting; both for the gun and the ammo. Put a nice long eye relief scope on it, float the barrel and you are ready to go. Good luck with your new toy!

gdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Crown Point
    I like the old rifles the way they were made, with the wood stocks. I personally would not sporterize an old military rifle because I collected them for their history.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    As a collector on antiques I can certainly appreciate leaving a piece of history alone. On the other hand I own a few of these and I'm going to modernize one of them and leave the rest as is.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    As a collector on antiques I can certainly appreciate leaving a piece of history alone. On the other hand I own a few of these and I'm going to modernize one of them and leave the rest as is.

I agree with this too. I would like to modernize one and also have one the way it originally looked.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I like the old rifles the way they were made, with the wood stocks. I personally would not sporterize an old military rifle because I collected them for their history.
    I agree with gdh. One of these days 91/30s may be rare. History lost.

But OTOH it's your rifle, do with it as you please, I won't judge.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I think you made a great purchase. I really like mosin's in the original form but it would be fun to sporterize one. If I found a deal like yours I would snatch it up. By the way, if you don't like it, send me a message and I will take if off your hands!!!!! :)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I kinda like them sporterized up. For a long time my M44 was the only high powered rifle I owned. And I wanted to use it on coyotes, so I sporterized it much like the 91/30 you bought. I really like it and it shoots well. I've still kept all the orig parts and can return it to that any time. OTOH I also have my 91/30 now to keep orig, and plan on also buying a M38 or another M44 in the future to leave stock as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom