what distance to practice - sight in at?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ssmith512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Oaklandon
    Fairly new handgun owner. Recently got my LTCH and just purchased my new EDC - a Springfield XDs .45ACP and plan on carrying on a fairly regular basis. Took a pistol safety course last month and will be taking a defensive pistol course later in the summer. Am wanting to hone in on my accuracy skills and would like everyone's opinion on what distance to set the sights and practice. Couldnt really find any consistent info or data on "average distance of shots fired in a self defense situation". I am guessing less than 7 yards? So should I do most of my practicing at 7 yards? 10 yards? Sight the handgun in at 7 yards? As a noob, I am looking for experienced advice pretty please. Thanks in advance!

Steve

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can't remember the exact number from an FBI study a few years back, but I recall that most self-defense shots are fired in the 0-5 yard range.

Edit: I tend to practice at 7 yards, because that is where the pistol backstop is at my local range. I hope to eventually join another private range that would allow me to shoot much closer, from different positions (other than at a bench), and much faster.

Last edited:

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I usually practice from 0-25 yards 80% of the time. I also try out different positions and extended ranges the rest of the time.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The bell curve of handgun fight ranges is pretty damn lopsided. The peak of the curve is around 6 feet (2 yds) and frequency proceeds down from there, to contact distance on the low side and disappearing into statistical significance beyond 7 yds. If you can shoot the eye outta a gnat at 100 yards with your cowboy action shooting SA revolver, good for you. That won't necessarily help you when the adrenaline hits with a threat a mere 3 yards away. I would do practical drills at 15 feet, 10 feet, 6 feet, and at point blank. If you're good on the (fast and) accurate shooting at those ranges, then (and only then) would I worry about ranges like 25 feet and beyond. Those drills might increase your overall accuracy with aimed shots, but gunfights are not necessarily about taking your time, consciously lining up your rear sights with your front sights, and squeezing the trigger gently. Real gunfights are about muscle memory and instinctual shooting in the same way as you trained.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    All ranges.

Learn to use various levels of sight focus - the level of focus you need to get a center hit at 7yds is a lot different than the one you need at 25yds. Learn what you need to see at various ranges to get the hit you want. As for sighting in purposes - 15-25yds. You won't need a hard sight focus at 7yds, so there's little point in zeroing POA/POI at such a short range.

For pure accuracy, practicing at 'comfortable' distance is lame and won't make you any better. Take comfortable and push it out 5-10yds.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Before you concentrate on hitting the 'x' ring at any distance, I think it's important for a new shooter to 1) get familiar with gun safety 2) get familiar with his firearm's controls and 3) concentrate on bringing your group size down from (perhaps) the size of a basketball to the size of your fist. Start close (3 to 5 yards) then move out to longer distances (12 to 15 yards) up to 25 yards. Group quality is more important than hitting the center of the bullseye. As you get better and in more control, your groups will magically move of their own accord.

On the other hand, if you believe your sights to be seriously off, get an experienced shooter to run a magazine through the gun. If they agree that the sights are way off, then it's time for an adjustment.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Agree with Double T, practice at whatever feels right to you. There are a lot of different ways to practice also, you may try a "silhouette" target at 25 foot - then at 50 foot. Bullseye targets are fun to see how you group (at various ranges). I often get a chuckle out of people worrying about MOA accuracy with a handgun. Like a 4 MOA gun is not accurate enough! In reality at about 30' (just about the maximum I could possible shoot in my large old home) 1 MOA = ONE TENTH OF AN INCH. 10 MOA = A 2" Circle! If you can hit within 5 or 6 inches of your aim point with a handgun repeatable (not as easy as it sounds with the stress of a shooting situation), if you aim at the center of a BG's chest, I guarantee you will ruin his day with the first shot - the following shots will certainly eliminate any threat from him.

One thing I have always practiced (for the last 20 ~ 30 years) is to always do a "double tap". IE: When practicing, always shoot twice - especially when practicing with a "silhouette". We all pray it never happens, but if I am ever in a situation where I must stop a BG to prevent death or serious injury to myself or other innocent persons, he will be shot TWICE before I asses the situation to determine if more shots are needed. I couldn't carry the ammo I have expended in practice over my life. The more you practice the more automatic your responses become. This includes chambering your magazine, loading a round, ejecting and re-inserting magazines, releasing safeties (if you gun is so equipped), target acquisition and VERIFICATION etc.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I am a long-time rifle shooter, but only recently have I decided, like the OP to hone my pistol shooting skills. Going from rifle to pistol, and going from a double-set trigger to a striker-fire pistol trigger, let's just say that my early groupings have been a bit discouraging.

I've learned a couple things from asking several people who know more than me about pistol shooting. One thing was that I was expecting too much to grab my pistol and start shooting from 25 yards. I was keeping them all on the target (2ftX2ft), but all over it. I was told that if I wasn't getting them all in an eight-inch or so group, shorten my distance and try again, then if I still wasn't doing it, move up and try again. One guy added "If you've moved up to the point where your muzzle is touching the target and you're still not doing it, then maybe you'd better find another hobby.

What I did was to start out at about 10 feet, then move back a little at a time, until I figured that at 8 yards, I had to be careful to keep a good group, but could begin to see some consistency. I also didn't realize until I pulled out a revolver that I hadn't shot in awhile, one with a really nice trigger in SA, that the striker-fire trigger was a bigger thing to get used to than I thought (and/or maybe all those guys complaining about the M&P trigger are right).

I've got aways to go, but at least now I feel like I'm getting there. One problem is that the place I shoot doesn't have a range closer than 25 yards (Wilbur Wright). But they let you move up if nobody else is there, or if everyone agrees to do the same.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My theory is that I'm probably not ever going to need my pistol for more than 7 yards from my intended target. Therefore, I expend all of my practice handgun ammo at 7 yards. If I need to hit something with accuracy at distances farther than that, I will probably have my rifle. Practice at what you may need to use.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If you are proficient at 25 yards you'll be even better at 7 yards. Since we lose proficiency and motor coordination under stress, hopefully the practice at 25 yards makes up for some of that loss. That's my theory anyway. :)

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    If you shoot somebody at 25 yards good luck trying to prove your life was in imminent danger...

Aiming and shooting: 7 yards.

Pointing and shooting: 3 yards.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I practice 25 yards and in. You never know, and training at a set distance is a bad idea. I would start at a shorter distance, and work on speed and accuracy. The more you shoot, increase the complexity of the drills you run. Don't rely on stationary shooting.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    All ranges.

Learn to use various levels of sight focus - the level of focus you need to get a center hit at 7yds is a lot different than the one you need at 25yds. Learn what you need to see at various ranges to get the hit you want. As for sighting in purposes - 15-25yds. You won't need a hard sight focus at 7yds, so there's little point in zeroing POA/POI at such a short range.

For pure accuracy, practicing at 'comfortable' distance is lame and won't make you any better. Take comfortable and push it out 5-10yds.

What Rob said.

(:faint:)

ssmith512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Oaklandon
    Thanks for all the input and suggestions! I do appreciate it. What I take from all of this is that practicing at a specific range is best for target/competition. Practicing at varying distances, positions, etc. is best for defensive situations (kind of like practicing putting - gotta vary your distance and location relative to the hole to become proficient).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The bell curve of handgun fight ranges is pretty damn lopsided. The peak of the curve is around 6 feet (2 yds) and frequency proceeds down from there, to contact distance on the low side and disappearing into statistical significance beyond 7 yds. If you can shoot the eye outta a gnat at 100 yards with your cowboy action shooting SA revolver, good for you. That won't necessarily help you when the adrenaline hits with a threat a mere 3 yards away. I would do practical drills at 15 feet, 10 feet, 6 feet, and at point blank. If you're good on the (fast and) accurate shooting at those ranges, then (and only then) would I worry about ranges like 25 feet and beyond. Those drills might increase your overall accuracy with aimed shots, but gunfights are not necessarily about taking your time, consciously lining up your rear sights with your front sights, and squeezing the trigger gently. Real gunfights are about muscle memory and instinctual shooting in the same way as you trained.

QFT

If you are practicing tactical drills at 25 yards then you are already out of danger and there is probably no need to even considering engaging a target at that distance. Run away to live another day without firing the shot! From the legal standpoint you'd also have a very difficult time proving you were threatened at that distance.

Practice for REAL LIFE SCENARIOS should be done FEET from the target(s) not YARDS. 2 feet. 6 feet. 10 feet. Think about a LONG shot inside your home, very few will be at 15'.
    Realize that 20' long hallway is not a 20' shot, but more likely a 12' shot. Even if your back is pressed hard against one wall and the perp's back is pressed hard against the opposite wall, your gun is 3' in front of you and his chest is a foot from the wall so that 20' hallway is only a 16' shot. And more likely you will be a couple feet into the hallway and he will be a couple feet in from the other end, so that 16' shot is shortened to about 12' in a more likely scenario. Same applies to any room, very few people walk with their backs pressed against walls.

In a real fight, distances are SHORT and shots are fast. The fight is over very quickly and its likely that blood will be on both the criminal and the victim.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    QFT

If you are practicing tactical drills at 25 yards then you are already out of danger and there is probably no need to even considering engaging a target at that distance. Run away to live another day without firing the shot! From the legal standpoint you'd also have a very difficult time proving you were threatened at that distance.

Practice for REAL LIFE SCENARIOS should be done FEET from the target(s) not YARDS. 2 feet. 6 feet. 10 feet. Think about a LONG shot inside your home, very few will be at 15'.
    Realize that 20' long hallway is not a 20' shot, but more likely a 12' shot. Even if your back is pressed hard against one wall and the perp's back is pressed hard against the opposite wall, your gun is 3' in front of you and his chest is a foot from the wall so that 20' hallway is only a 16' shot. And more likely you will be a couple feet into the hallway and he will be a couple feet in from the other end, so that 16' shot is shortened to about 12' in a more likely scenario. Same applies to any room, very few people walk with their backs pressed against walls.

In a real fight, distances are SHORT and shots are fast. The fight is over very quickly and its likely that blood will be on both the criminal and the victim.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I don't care what the distance is, if I am taking fire then my life is in danger. Feel free to turn and walk away if you like, I know I can hit a target at 25+ yards so why assume the other guy can't?

I do agree that most confrontations are close and short, but not all. You should be prepared to deal with as many different situations as possible. To think otherwise is foolish at best, and if you routinely travel with your wife and children then it's negligent and dangerous as well.

Brown86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Whatever distance you choose just make sure you start out slow and smooth..you will get faster with practice. pretty soon you wont have to think about every little step.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All ranges.

I agree with ESRICE, listen to Rob. 15-25 yards is the correct distance for most handguns. Sight in using a center hold. By this I mean place the target or center of the target on top of the sights. At closer distances, 3 - 7 yards the gun will shoot low compared to the sights. This is because the bullet is still rising. So at these close ranges simply cover the target with the front sight. As distance increases to beyond 25 yards the bullet will begin dropping. So again simply cover the target with the front sight or hold just slightly high.

I use an common white paper plate as a target frequently. Up close drive the dot and hit the center. 10 -20 yards aim with a traditional center hold and hit the center. Beyond 20-35 yards I aim high on the plate and hit the center. At 50 yards just aim at the top of the plate. Of course beyond about 30 yards it starts falling apart for me, but it is possible to consistently hit a paper plate using this method.

Top Bottom