• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, here's my situation, so looking for clarification. I'm getting an AR lower ordered, and I know when it comes from the factory to the dealer I'm getting it, that's considered a transfer, and will pay the dealer's transfer fee.
    However. Once I get it, I'm considering sending it back out to get it custome engraved. Since it has already been "transferred" to me by the dealer, when the engraver sends it back to my local FFL, is that considered another transfer? Or is that up to the receiving FFL to decide? (I know transfer fees are usually because of time and paperwork involved)

Just trying to know if I should expect multiple transfer fees. I'll also be trying to stop in later and talk to my new local FFL as well.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    However. Once I get it, I'm considering sending it back out to get it custome engraved. Since it has already been "transferred" to me by the dealer, when the engraver sends it back to my local FFL, is that considered another transfer?

Why would you have them send it back to your local FFL, when you can send your own gun out to be worked on and the gunsmith/engraver can send it directly back to you?

In any event, if you have your FFL ship your gun to the engraver and receive it back for you, it will be logged in and out of their Bound Book, but does not constitute a "transfer" in that you should not have to fill out another 4473 to take possession of it again, nor should you have to pay a fee beyond actual shipping.

My :twocents:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Why would you have them send it back to your local FFL, when you can send your own gun out to be worked on and the gunsmith/engraver can send it directly back to you?

In any event, if you have your FFL ship your gun to the engraver and receive it back for you, it will be logged in and out of their Bound Book, but does not constitute a "transfer" in that you should not have to fill out another 4473 to take possession of it again, nor should you have to pay a fee beyond actual shipping.

My :twocents:

I didn't realize that since it was a lower, and being the "FFL Required" part, that the engraver could send it back to me at all. I thought all receivers/frames/lowers (the actual "gun" part) had to be received by an FFL? I'd be shipping it out myself. P
    robably to Orion or possibly Hartford Engraving, unless there's someone that does good work local (I'm in Columbus, so Indy area works also)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IF ITS GOING TO AN ENGRAVER OR GUNSMITH AND BACK TO YOU NO FFL IS NEEDED.
    This^

If you already own the gun then you can send it out to a company for work to be done and they can send it right back to you. It's that way will almost all firearms and it's been that way for a long, long time.

It's just like sending a gun back to the manufacturer for work, you send it right to them and they send it right back.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The only reason that I can see to go through an FFL in this situation is shipping it to the engraver. Sometimes the FFL can ship it cheaper than you can because he isn't limited to FedEx or UPS. He might be able to save you some money. I would still have it sent back to you directly.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    BTW, I think the engraver has to be an FFL to receive it, but if he is you are GTG.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    this topic is relevant to my interests

seems like I recall hearing of an engraver in Greenwood that can laser etch SBR info onto your lower while you wait. Can anyone provide more info?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    seems like I recall hearing of an engraver in Greenwood that can laser etch SBR info onto your lower while you wait. Can anyone provide more info?

On the recommendation of a fellow gun owner and (other) forum member, I used McGee Jewelers in Greenwood once, several years ago. I won't make that mistake again. :xmad:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US