What compromises do you make with you choice of a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I got to thinking about what I carry and why. My EDC's are a XDm 5.25 in 9mm and a XDs 4" in 9mm. I carry the XDm because of the capacity, 19+1, ease of shootability, and I'm very accurate, and quick with it. But it's heavy(er), not so thin and long in the grip. But I can conceal it decently when I want to. My XDs it lighter, thinner, carries a lot easier but I'm limited to 7+1 (or 8 or 9+1 with the extended mags). I tend to go for the longer barrels as I can conceal them easily when I want. The longer sight radius and a few more FPS out of the ammo can't hurt.

The grip safety does not bother me, in fact, I prefer it. When reholstering, I adjust my grip by placing my thumb on the back of the slide. This engages the grip safety and makes it almost impossible for something to catch on the trigger and discharge the pistol, ie Glock leg. But the downside is in a very close attack, shooting the gun while holding the slide in battery one-handed, is tough, if not impossible. But I holster quite a bit more than I contact shoot.

So what do you compromises with and why? Pistol vs revolver, caliber vs capacity, manual safetys, action type, barrel length are some examples.

There won't be any right or wrong answers, I'm just looking for info.
    I would prefer not to get into "YOUR WAY IS WRONG AND WILL GET YOU KILLED," but this is INGO.......

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You're wrong, and doing it that way will get you killed.

I compromise ise caliber for capacity. I can get 15+1 of 9mm in my PPQ. That may change, as the .45 version holds 12+1.

I also sometimes compromise draw speed and the ability to mount a light so I can wear a more concealing holster.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Size and capacity are about the only considerations for me depending on dress and depth of carry needs. No "safety" levers, active or passive, are part of my carry lineup.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Only thing I am really concerned with is reliability, everything else comes after that. My carry guns have all run at least 100 rounds of the ammo I carry without a hitch or they don't get carried.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    :+1: On the sacrificing capacity for concealability.

When I decided to buy my first Hg for dedicated use as a EDCC, I know that I had to buy a gun that I would ACTUALLY carry every day. For me that meant I had to take into consideration the places I went to the most, which is dominated by my children. I knew I needed a light small easy to conceal HG, which meant I would likely have to sacrifice capacity, which I did. I also have a larger HG that I wear when I go with or without family hunting, fishing and hiking as my cloths will allow for it. I also have a bad habit of gaining 30 then loosing 30 pounds almost yearly, so a small easy to conceal HG was really my only option.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, ALL handguns are a compromise.

I try not to compromise any more than I have to. I invested in a better belt and holster so I CAN carry a larger gun. I have found that I can easily conceal a Glock 19 by carrying AIWB. And that's when wearing shorts and a fitting t-shirt. I have even managed to conceal a Glock 17.

Concealing a larger gun isn't that difficult. Sure, a smaller single stack is much more easier to carry a Glock 19 size gun. And it's very easy to get "lazy" that way. You just have to put a little more effort into it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When choosing to carry a handgun, I compromised on: capacity, caliber, muzzle energy, sight radius (and available sights/optics), and likely more I am forgetting. I gained ease of carry and the ability to better conceal when needed.

Seriously, though. I looked for a balance of capacity and muzzle energy, in a form factor that could be concealed without too much issue, with safety features that are hard to mess up. I am actually thinking of moving UP in size, as concealment has not been as much of an issue for me. That could gain me some capacity and likely something that "handles" better (longer site radius, taller grip, longer recoil spring, and heavier slide), even if I stick to the same caliber.

Oddly enough, I also have a "pocket gun" that sacrifices pretty much everything in exchange for maximum concealment.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I am willing to give up capacity for caliber. I'm a believer in the idea that my first 3 shots are the ones that will count most and try to focus on the largest caliber I can shoot well. For me, that's generally a .45 through a 1911 but I will sometimes swap that out for a .40 in either a CZ or Glock. I don't generally carry a 9mm unless it's a pocket pistol and deep concealment is required.

For every day carry, a mid sized 1911 with an aluminum frame, in .45 works best for me. It's a bit of a compromise though, since I shoot full size steel 1911s a bit better. I will carry a full size 1911 about 30% of the time in a shoulder rig, but prefer OWB carry more. If carrying a 1911, I usually have a pair of 8 round spare mags with me, but on rare occasions will carry just one spare 1911 mag. When carrying either the Glock or CZ in .40, I'll carry a single spare mag. Total rounds carried in the gun and spare mags is usually around 22 to 27 rounds.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I compromise capacity for concealability. I sacrifice sexy for simplicity. I carry a Glock 43 off duty and a Glock 22 while working.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I would say I compromise capacity for comfort. I CC a G 19 or 26. The 17 fits my hand better, but I won't carry one. I chose 9mm because I feel like carrying a 45 ACP is too much of a compromise on capacity.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I guess the biggest compromise I made is capacity. I carry a P-01 IWB (smaller footprint, less capacity than a full size) and an FNP 40 OWB (bigger round, fewer on board) and some feel I make a big compromise by preferring DA/SA and hammer fired. Someday I will carry a 1911, just not there with the skillset yet.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I sacrifice comfort for comforting. I sacrifice my comfort for shootability and oh, shootability. I don't think I would be very comfortable if I was dead. If, God forbid, it ever comes to it I want the gun I shoot best. I want the one that comes to hand as if it was automatic. I want the one comfortable as an old slipper. I want the one I always want to shoot first at the range. The one that gets shot every time I go to the range. That's the one and it's no compromise at all.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I compromise by not carrying a .45-70 rifle. I have carried a 1911 type for 62 years, before, during, and after Uncle Sam. Today I carry a 2011 STI 10mm 6" with 23 rounds and an extra mag with 22 in it. I carry the hotest loads I can get so it is in the real light .41mag range.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I compromise caliber and capacity by carrying a Glock 42. But I always have it on me. It's the first gun I found that I could carry IWB at 4 oclock whether I'm wearing work pants, shorts, jeans or jammies. It's the only gun that I'm comfortable having on my person at all times except sleep but even then I've had my share of naps while wearing the 42. Do I sacrifice for comfort? yes. but I like having a gun that I'm very proficient with and that I don't get a single ounce of irritation out of having it on my person at all times.

ETA: I have lots of spare mags that are always either on me or in strategic places as well

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    FBI statistics show that the vast majority of gunfights happen in the 7 yard range. That's 21 feet for those of you in Rio Linda.
    I can throw a rock and hit my target much further than 21 feet.
    This being the case, I never feel under-gunned, even with a 5-shot J-frame .357mag.

I do carry extra speed loaders, but I expect to hit my targets with the rounds in the cylinder.

Top Bottom