What business would/could you start with $20k?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SameOl'Sh!z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    indianapolis
    If you had $20,000 to start up a company what would you do?

I've looked into a home based ffl but the earnings are slim with the vast amount of online retailers that sell for rock bottom prices. I watched a youtube video of a guy that said he sold $250k worth of firearms last year and only made a $30k profit.

Manufacturing ammo would be nice if the licensing wasn't such a hassle.

Storage unit auctions with a retail store or flea market setup. Hit and miss.

Maybe buy into a franchise?

What would you do?

Remember $20k is your limit.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Model railroad business. The models have a 40% markup on average. People eat that stuff up and if you're knowledgable and can become known amongst people in the area you're golden and so are your children provided they are knowledgable and want to continue the business.

SameOl'Sh!z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    indianapolis
    Model railroad business. The models have a 40% markup on average. People eat that stuff up and if you're knowledgable and can become known amongst people in the area you're golden and so are your children provided they are knowledgable and want to continue the business.

Would've never thought of that. I know model trains have a large following.

I have a friend who wants to start a commercial kitchen exhaust hood cleaning business. I had never thought of that either. Pricey to start though.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    $20,000 is barely enough for a franchise. The only established business I could think of off hand that you might be able to get in on with 20k would be Redbox.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not so much a business because it wouldn't make a lot of money, but I'd love to start an animal rescue--mostly dogs and cats.

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    First identify your market. Who's going to pay you and Why? FFLs generally don't make much on markup. I was down that path. Franchises tend to be expensive and sometimes you may have a better idea. (I also did this in the 90s.) Do not plan to make a profit the first 2 to 4 years on a start up. I know there have been exceptions but it takes time to establish a customer base. Like Hoosierdoc said don't go into Dept until you see a positive cash flow to pay expenses and cover any loan fees. This may not answer your original question but I don't know what you like to do or your business experience. How much cash you need depends on the type of business your looking at.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Pawn shop.

At the very minimum $200K for a pawn shop. The pawnbrokers license requires that you have a minimum of $100K in liquid assets and you have to show that every year to re-qualify for your license. So you can't even use that because it needs to be there every year for your license renewal. You will need a minimum of another $100K to get started and that is if you are located in an area with a small population. I have been there and done that........for 10 years. :twocents:

Top Bottom