What are you smoking or What do you enjoy smoking (Pipe & Cigar Thread)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I have a question for the pipe smokers. Is there a way to find out for sure if a tobacco is an aromatic or has a topping? I find conflicting information on about every tobacco I look at. I really don't care for aromatics or any added flavoring, and so far I've found even the manufacturer will say there is no flavoring/ non aromatic when there is definitely some sort of flavoring.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a question for the pipe smokers. Is there a way to find out for sure if a tobacco is an aromatic or has a topping? I find conflicting information on about every tobacco I look at. I really don't care for aromatics or any added flavoring, and so far I've found even the manufacturer will say there is no flavoring/ non aromatic when there is definitely some sort of flavoring.
    Well that comes often times in my experience from learning brands.

Most of the time gurkha's have no "flavoring" other than the tobacco they use. Now these are not for everyone they are very robust. Also Captain black has some great pipe tobacco with out added flavor. Lane makes an incredible vanilla and cherry but that's the wrong choice of you don't want the added stuff.

Squadron leader would also be a good choice for you.

I highly recommend going to your local tobacconist and smell all the tobaccos they have in jars. Highly recommend Virginias and Cavendish specifically a nice English Cavendish. Black spice is ****ing incredible.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Well that comes often times in my experience from learning brands.

Most of the time gurkha's have no "flavoring" other than the tobacco they use. Now these are not for everyone they are very robust. Also Captain black has some great pipe tobacco with out added flavor. Lane makes an incredible vanilla and cherry but that's the wrong choice of you don't want the added stuff.

Squadron leader would also be a good choice for you.

I highly recommend going to your local tobacconist and smell all the tobaccos they have in jars. Highly recommend Virginias and Cavendish specifically a nice English Cavendish. Black spice is ****ing incredible.
    Thanks for the info. I'm a cigar guy I just started pipe smoking last year. I'm just looking for something like the full bodied cigars I love. Is that the same Gurkha that makes cigars?

Have you ever tried any of the warped pipe tobaccos? Supposedly there is cigar leaf in those.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks for the info. I'm a cigar guy I just started pipe smoking last year. I'm just looking for something like the full bodied cigars I love. Is that the same Gurkha that makes cigars?

Have you ever tried any of the warped pipe tobaccos? Supposedly there is cigar leaf in those.
    Yes same gurkha that makes amazing cigars.

I have not tried warped.

I've been smoking cigars since I was 18 I'll be 40 in September.

I have smoke 1000s of cigars.

I started smoking pipe in 2011/2012 ish.

When I smoke a cigar I refuse to smoke infused cigars. I want to taste tobacco.

When I smoke a pipe I enjoy aromatics and flavored tobaccos. Yet I still enjoy pipe tobacco that is tobacco flavored. But mostly aromatics.

I wish I could remember the brand but I bought some pipe tobacco that I swear to God have me anxiety. Exact opposite effect I prefer. That **** messed with me. So I gave it away to a pal. He smoked it but also wast a fan. So be careful chasing that heavy tobacco flavor in a pipe.

I'm not sure of the point of this post... Just my experience.

But here's a fun suggestion for the thread.

Everyone reading this ..... Tell us of your story that lead you to smoking fine tobacco. Cigarettes don't count.

This post brought to you by 4 roses bourbon.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    4th of July my parent threw a big BBQ/party.

My sisters friend bought her a pack of ******** cigars. They were brought out.

18 year old me was a very cocky young man. My sister didn't know what to do with them. So I took one, bit off the end and then lit it with a tiki torch. I then decided it was mine. So I bit and lit one for her. She smoked it for almost .01 seconds. I loved it. Soon after I asked my mom what cigars her dad smoked. She bought me a pack. I was hooked. I smoked swisher sweets and other ******** gas station cigars for a while. Like a dip ****.

Years go by. My ex wife (while we were together) told a coworker I like cigars. That coworker also worked part-time at a cigar shop. She started aw sending little care packages to me. Cigars like oliva, Kristoff, remeo , etc.

Blew my ****ing mind that cigars could be amazing.

Oliva G series changed my life. Been smoking fine cigars since.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    How is it smoking so far? I've been thinking about adding a Rattray's pipe to the collection to go along with the Old Gowrie I usually smoke . . .
    I like it. I was looking for a smaller pipe, and found the goblin on pipesandcigars.com for $70. It weighs nothing so I can keep this pipe clinched for the whole bowl while im working without my teeth hurting.

I have another Rattray's pipe it's a morta/ bog oak. I call it my "crack pipe" since it's cracked four time on me. I've "repaired" the cracks myself and really like the pipe, but I don't think I'll ever buy another morta pipe. I have a tin of Hal O' The Wynd on the way.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    17 years ago at college I went to a university auction. They cleared out the student center to gut it and remodel. There were older things from a few other buildings included. I don't know where this pipe holder and pipes came from, but these were in a small chest and the pipes were still in there boxes with no teeth marks. No one bid on anything as the auctioneer pulled the items out, finally he bunched them all together and I was the sole bidder at $10. I think I made out well. I used to use them more but thought I lost them in a move. I found them Monday. It is good to have them back. The stems on two of them are turned around so they would sit in the holder.

Attachments

• IMG_20240522_134055416.jpg
      IMG_20240522_134055416.jpg
      628 KB · Views: 7

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    17 years ago at college I went to a university auction. They cleared out the student center to gut it and remodel. There were older things from a few other buildings included. I don't know where this pipe holder and pipes came from, but these were in a small chest and the pipes were still in there boxes with no teeth marks. No one bid on anything as the auctioneer pulled the items out, finally he bunched them all together and I was the sole bidder at $10. I think I made out well. I used to use them more but thought I lost them in a move. I found them Monday. It is good to have them back. The stems on two of them are turned around so they would sit in the holder.
    Is the silver pipe part metal?

Top Bottom