What are the BEST 'budget' red dot sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Another recent thread had me curious. After doing a search, the only thing I could find even close was this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/14339-red_dot_sights.html

I'm personally a big fan of Aimpoint red dot sights, and think they belong on 'serious' (ie home/self defense, LE, .mil, competition) guns.

However, there are many other 'missions' that don't require all that technology, ruggedness, or price tag.

If someone were looking to mount a RDS on their 'hobby' gun, what would you recommend? Which are the good ones? Which are the bad ones?

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have a Simmons 30 mm red dot that I have had for about 10 years I paid $40.00 bucks for it, it still has the original battery in it and I have had it on everything from a 22 to 223 great little red dot.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ultradot

I own and recommend Ultradot sights .
    Here is a link to thier site: Products

They come in 25mm and 30 mm with fixed dot or adjustable dot (4,8,12,18 MOA).
    They also have thier Microdot scope and a Open site called the Ultradot L/T.
    Also Lifetime warranty

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As you well know, my choice for an "Aimpoint simulator" is the SPOT MkIII. I have several, on "play" guns where I can't justify the cost of a real Aimpoint. They have done well for me.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Are the $400 - $600 Red Dot sights worth it? Do they have that much of an advantage over $40 - $100 sights?:dunno:

(I'm asking in reference to a homeowner/plinker/weekend shooter.... not for going to Iraq, Detroit or any other war zone.)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Are the $400 - $600 Red Dot sights worth it? Do they have that much of an advantage over $40 - $100 sights?:dunno:

(I'm asking in reference to a homeowner/plinker/weekend shooter.... not for going to Iraq, Detroit or any other war zone.)

It all depends on your mission.

The easy question would be: "Could my life depend on this optic's function someday?"

If the answer is "No, this is my 'fun gun' that I only use at the range and then lock back up in the safe", then you'll probably be very satisfied with one of the options posted above.

If your answer is "Yes, this gun is kept in a condition for my defense, and my life could depend on its function", then I'd spend the $$ and go Aimpoint.

It sounds like you've already answered your own question though.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Here is my list of red dots I have had good luck with.
    Vortex Strike Fire
    Millett SP-1
    Konus Sight Pro Atomic

I have googled and found numerous reviews that lead me to these.
    Overall, its no EOTech/Aimpoint but they fit the application well.

Pricing-through Midway
    Vortex $149 (High and low mounts available, come with a doubler)
    Millett $100 (shop around for the best deal)
    Konus $79 (on sale now)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think shooter521 bought a Bushnell RDS that was a knock off of an Aimpoint T-1.

I did indeed!

GunInfected1 is showing it off pretty well in this pic:
    P1010061.jpg

Konus also makes one which is about half the price of the Bushnell and has the brightness dial on top rather than at 2:00. The biggest downside to the Konus is that the diode is on the bottom, which obstructs an AK's iron sights when you put it on an Ultimak.

Slow Hand had the Konus on his AC556 at NFA Day.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I picked up a nice Aimpoint clone off of the EE on ARFCOM. IIRC, the guy lives here in Indiana. The Clones are externally the same as the aimpoints, use the same mounts, etc.

I'm running one on my fun gun, which is also the AR I would use in a HD/SD situation at this point in time.

Will see if I can find that and cross-link. Think it is something like $80-ish.

DSC05019.jpg

Top Bottom