what are the best "bang for the buck" upgrades for 10/22?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have a takedown and wanted to make it a little nicer to shoot. as for what to do with it, I'm wide open, all ears.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A Volquartsen hammer is about $35 and is a great bang for the buck mod. The VQ extractor was a great mod for me too.
    There's plenty of cheap do it yourself mods. I've done: radius the bolt bottom where it cocks the hammer, pin down the firing pin, polished the bolt face (reduce head space), sling-shot bolt release, tubing around a metal pin bolt buffer, sanding the stock and front barrel band...

I did all the above and got fewer flyers and group sizes down under 2 MOA.

Now I've got a little nuts and installed a Kidd barrel and bolt. Down to 1 MOA group sizes.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    what do you guys think about a trigger group "kit"? from what I've read so far, Volquartsen and Kidd are the favorites among the 10/22 owners.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    A Volquartsen hammer is about $35 and is a great bang for the buck mod. The VQ extractor was a great mod for me too.
    There's plenty of cheap do it yourself mods. I've done: radius the bolt bottom where it cocks the hammer, pin down the firing pin, polished the bolt face (reduce head space), sling-shot bolt release, tubing around a metal pin bolt buffer, sanding the stock and front barrel band...

I did all the above and got fewer flyers and group sizes down under 2 MOA.

Now I've got a little nuts and installed a Kidd barrel and bolt. Down to 1 MOA group sizes.

+1 on the above statement.

I am not sure on the take down model what your options are on swapping out the barrel?

I added the V.Q. hammer and sear to mine which took my pull down to just shy of 2lbs but that was before Ruger introduces the BX-Trigger. From everything I have read and heard about them I would go just add one of those now. Ruger BX-Trigger?

As for the barrel I found a nice 16.5" stainless Green Mountain Barrel that I added to it which also helped tighten things up. If you are cash strapped and don't want to sink a TON of money into a 10/22 Green Mountain barrels are hard to beat for the $$. I will say that I am NOT getting 1 MOA group sizes out of my gun but I can manage to get 2 MOA out of it and I only have $400.00 in the entire setup gun included.

I have the utmost respect for the guys that have tuned their 10/22's to the point where they are cutting one hole on the target and can go up against any bolt gun out there but I personally can not justify sinking $1,000.00 into a 22.......I have other things on my wish list more deserving of my cash.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Send it to CPC. Get the bolt worked, the barrel rechambered/set back/crowned, and get the trigger job. It'll shoot lights out after that and will almost be able to keep up with full Kidd customs.

Strait from their site:
    "Customer results at 50 yards: .25 to .56""

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ it's a very good machine shop in Connecticut. I almost went that route but my factory barrel extractor slot is cut wrong. By the time I had added removing the factory front sight and threading for a suppressor the barrel got too close in price to a new Kidd tapered barrel on sale.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    ...but that was before Ruger introduces the BX-Trigger. From everything I have read and heard about them I would go just add one of those now. Ruger BX-Trigger?

I have two of these, and I love them. They are relatively inexpensive and they greatly lighten and improve the feel of the trigger. If I remember right mine only cost me about $20 each out of pocket because I offset the purchase price by selling my stock triggers after installing the new BX ones.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Skip the Ruger BX trigger. Read up on them on Rimfire Central. You can get better results for your money elsewhere.

If you want to get good results out of your trigger for cheap, send it to Brimstone or CPC. They'll make a stock trigger VERY nice.

If you want to do more than what CPC or Brimstone offers for trigger work, I'd personally go strait for a Kidd drop in.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I agree on the sights, I have them and they are fantastic. I would suggest the 'Aperature Sight Package', then you can add an optic. Join 'rimfirecentral' forum. Lots of good info there. For the trigger work, I sent mine to 'brimstone' and got the standard package. Really a good value for the work. You get polished trigger, smooth, and he also does the 'automatic' bolt release.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Skip the Ruger BX trigger. Read up on them on Rimfire Central. You can get better results for your money elsewhere.

If you want to get good results out of your trigger for cheap, send it to Brimstone or CPC. They'll make a stock trigger VERY nice.

If you want to do more than what CPC or Brimstone offers for trigger work, I'd personally go strait for a Kidd drop in.

Kidd drop in? Really? It costs as much as the rifle itself, unless I misunderstood your intent. Is this 2-stage trigger what you meant?

KIDD Two Stage Trigger for the 10/22® or Ruger® 10/22®

Or was this "trigger-job kit" what you had in mind? It would only cost about one-third of the cost of the rifle.

10/22® Trigger Job Kit aftermarket upgrades by KIDD

Or is this single-stage drop-in what you meant?

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Single-Stage-Trigger-Unit-Drop-In_p_29.html

Sorry for a thread jack, if this is really is one, but the OP asked about recommended upgrades on the 10/22; so I thought I would ask about the cost of this recommendation and ascertain exactly what was intended by seedubs1. No disrespect intended; just asking for clarification in view of the high cost of the "drop in" upgrade.

Last edited:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Tech Sights, sling, extra magazines. Save the rest of your money for ammo.

That's what I'm talking about. The bolt release mod is nice and costs zero if you have the tools.

That said, after shooting my Ruger American Rimfire a lot then going back to my 10/22 I can really tell the difference in triggers, so some work on that might be nice.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hmmm.....I thought my post was pretty clear.

1) Don't get a BX trigger
    2) If you want to upgrade your trigger on a budget, send your trigger to Brimstone or CPC
    3) If you want to upgrade past what Brimstone or CPC offers, get a Kidd drop in (single stage or two stage, get which type you like, they're both the best drop in triggers available, all others are a mile behind)

Yes, the Kidd drop ins are expensive. That's why I said to go with the Brimstone or CPC re-work. It'll get you the majority of the way there, and you'll have an EXCELLENT trigger for cheap. If you want a drop in, they're all expensive (except the janky BX ones) and the Kidd drop ins are the way to go.

Kidd drop in? Really? It costs as much as the rifle itself, unless I misunderstood your intent. Is this 2-stage trigger what you meant?

KIDD Two Stage Trigger for the 10/22® or Ruger® 10/22®

Or was this "trigger-job kit" what you had in mind? It would only cost about one-third of the cost of the rifle.

10/22® Trigger Job Kit aftermarket upgrades by KIDD

Or is this single-stage drop-in what you meant?

KIDD Single Stage Trigger Unit Drop-In

Sorry for a thread jack, if this is really is one, but the OP asked about recommended upgrades on the 10/22; so I thought I would ask about the cost of this recommendation and ascertain exactly what was intended by seedubs1. No disrespect intended; just asking for clarification in view of the high cost of the "drop in" upgrade.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Auto-Bolt release, and the extended mag release were the best mods I did to mine.

yeah I like the auto bolt release on mine. I think the new 10/22s come with an extended mag release.

Some me trigger work would also help. But I bet people would be surprised what can be accomplished with a box stock 10/22 and tech sights.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hmmm.....I thought my post was pretty clear.

1) Don't get a BX trigger
    2) If you want to upgrade your trigger on a budget, send your trigger to Brimstone or CPC
    3) If you want to upgrade past what Brimstone or CPC offers, get a Kidd drop in (single stage or two stage, get which type you like, they're both the best drop in triggers available, all others are a mile behind)

Yes, the Kidd drop ins are expensive. That's why I said to go with the Brimstone or CPC re-work. It'll get you the majority of the way there, and you'll have an EXCELLENT trigger for cheap. If you want a drop in, they're all expensive (except the janky BX ones) and the Kidd drop ins are the way to go.

Thanks!. PM on the way to take this off the thread.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I looked at the extended mag release and decided it was not for me. If you are planning on taking your 10/22 out into the woods for the little bushy tailed tree rats I would advise against it. My hunting buddy has already lost two mags and dropped a couple more in the wood because the release has gotten caught on his cloths and brush while in the woods. Not sure if anyone else has had the same experience but it was a deal killer for me. I am not doing speed drills with mine so I kept the factory release.

Just my two cents.

Top Bottom