• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We think it was built in the 1840s, but it could be earlier. We know it pre-dates Civil War as there is a reference to it in the Civil War diary of an Indiana militia soldier.

Initially, it looks Federal, but it lacks a lot of the details of Federal. It's closer to Georgian given the simpler facade and more angular/square details throughout, but it's only half Georgian as the typical Georgian (aka Georgian Colonial) home has the 5-window facade with the door located in the center.

And though you can't see it from the front, the original foot print wasn't the long rectangle across the entire width of the home like Georgian either. Georgian tends to be two rooms deep across the entire width. This is only as wide as the pics shows for the front room. It's more L-shaped. With a row of rooms going back on the left side and only the entry way/stair on the right side of the home.

P1040802.jpg

Thoughts?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    :rofl:

That made my day right there. I appreciate good looking architecture but shamefully admit I know so little about it.

You're welcome! :)

I have a passing knowledge, given my profession. But this one is just different enough. And of course, all the examples on line use only the grandest house they can find. :rolleyes:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You're welcome! :)

I have a passing knowledge, given my profession. But this one is just different enough. And of course, all the examples on line use only the grandest house they can find. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I tried reading up on it but so much internet crap is useless. I actually found several houses REmodeled into the style they were describing. Not exactly the best representation IMO.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Sorry, it took me so long to reply, just got in from work. Based on when you said that it was built start looking into these styles: Federal & Empire, which was from 1780-1850, British Victorian, which ran from 1837-1901 and American Victorian, 1840-1910. I have a big ol' book on architecture styles that my boss loaned me so I can get up to speed for my job. I'll take a look at these chapters and get back with you. Hope this helps ya!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My vote is an adaptation of either Georgian Colonial, or Colonial Revival.

That's my best guess as well. Probably the best that could be done with the limited resources available this far from big cities.

If you hadn't provided commentary, I would have said federal. Now I'm not gonna post that and admit to my ignorance.

I've always thought it was Federal. Turns out Federal is a lot more ornate that I originally thought. Who knew?

Sorry, it took me so long to reply, just got in from work. Based on when you said that it was built start looking into these styles: Federal & Empire, which was from 1780-1850, British Victorian, which ran from 1837-1901 and American Victorian, 1840-1910. I have a big ol' book on architecture styles that my boss loaned me so I can get up to speed for my job. I'll take a look at these chapters and get back with you. Hope this helps ya!

No way it's Victorian of any flavor. Far too simple.

'Nother cool point. There is only one room on the second story. The "L" section that extend rearward is only one level. Or was. It's a completely different house now.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Okay, you have genuinely peaked my interest. I pulled the book out and looked at the styles that I originally said and I'm not an expert but I think I may have found some answers. It's like a combination of two styles, Federal and American Victorian. Yes, I saw where you said that it couldn't be any style of Victorian, but the door is screaming elements of American Victorian. With that here is my argument,

1.) The windows are Federal style, the main reason is the way the window panes are configured. The Federal style of windows were elongated with large panes and thin glazing bars, also the windows were originally a nine-over-nine configuration of panes until the early 19th century when they were replaced by six-over-six double sashes.

2.) Now my point about the door, I initially thought that it was British Victorian based on the sidelights but since they don't have any circles or arcs in the sidelights, then I was reading in the book that some builders combined elements from earlier styles with current taste. Attached to that statement was a door that had door lights used during the Federal period combined with a door that looks very similar to the one in your picture.

Believe me when I say this, I'm really not trying to be a jerk. I'm just always up for a challenge, especially when it comes to architecture.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    That's my best guess as well. Probably the best that could be done with the limited resources available this far from big cities.

I've always thought it was Federal. Turns out Federal is a lot more ornate that I originally thought. Who knew?

No way it's Victorian of any flavor. Far too simple.

'Nother cool point. There is only one room on the second story. The "L" section that extend rearward is only one level. Or was. It's a completely different house now.

It looks to be a very bad investment. Ill bail you out and give you $50 for that mess. :D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What do you call architecture analogous to a mutt? I would not be the least bit surprised if you eventually determine that someone picked a little bit of this and a little bit of that for whatever reasons (availability, personal preferences for various elements, lack of proper training to build a house in a coherent recognized style) and ended up with what they ended up with.

Top Bottom