What Ammo Would You want to Buy at ECPR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What ammo would you want to buy at ECPR?

• Total voters

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    At Eagle Creek Pistol Range, we get asked if we sell ammo several times every weekend. In response, and in order to make shooting at ECPR more convenient for out customers, I am negotiating with some ammo suppliers to buy ammo in bulk so I can offer it for sale at the range. My plan is to offer the most popular calibers, which I would estimate to be .22 LR, 9mm, .38 Special, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

But before I place an order, I'd like to get some data from INGOers, not only to identify calibers, but to decide how much to buy of each.

What caliber would you want to buy at the range?

Thanks!

Guy

Last edited:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't shoot at ECPR nor do I ever buy ammo at the range, however, when asked to pick out the most common calibers used on ranges I would have said the exact ones you listed.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I would buy ammo there in a pinch ONLY if it were closely priced to the ammo at Walmart.

I have a personal rule never to buy ammo at gunshops. I plan my purchases in advance, never impulse buy, and never go to a range without sufficient ammo :yesway:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I would buy ammo there in a pinch ONLY if it were closely priced to the ammo at Walmart.

I have a personal rule never to buy ammo at gunshops. I plan my purchases in advance, never impulse buy, and never go to a range without sufficient ammo :yesway:

That's fair - I usually follow the same rules. But a LOT of folks run out of ammo at the range and would prefer to be able to just buy some more there as opposed to having to pack up their gear and drive somewhere else.

Our problem is going to be that we're probably not going to sell enough to qualify for huge bulk discounts like Walmart or even the gun stores. But it's all still in the early stages - I haven't even identified a supplier yet.

Thanks for the input!

Guy

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    No problem. I know lots of folks don't plan ahead and might be stuck needing more ammo - but if it's priced like Pops... might make sales pretty slow.

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Guy,
    I think that it is great that you are asking for input from INGO members; however, you need to take into consideration that the data you gather and it's results are really not going to help you too much. While you might get input as to what ammunition to carry. Getting an understanding of how much to buy may not be possible on this forum when you consider that you are receiving responses from people that do not shoot regularly at your facility.

I suggest continuing your data collection here. However, I think you would do yourself and your customers a huge service by conducting a local data collection effort at your facility. In addition, you need to look at your current historical data based on sales and inventory information (e.g., inventory levels, and number of ski's). I only mention this to you because you have to consider that while stocking ammunition to meet everyone's needs sounds like a beautiful idea, sitting on inventory that has poor turns will do you no good.

Good luck!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Guy,
    I think that it is great that you are asking for input from INGO members; however, you need to take into consideration that the data you gather and it's results are really not going to help you too much. While you might get input as to what ammunition to carry. Getting an understanding of how much to buy may not be possible on this forum when you consider that you are receiving responses from people that do not shoot regularly at your facility.

I suggest continuing your data collection here. However, I think you would do yourself and your customers a huge service by conducting a local data collection effort at your facility. In addition, you need to look at your current historical data based on sales and inventory information (e.g., inventory levels, and number of ski's). I only mention this to you because you have to consider that while stocking ammunition to meet everyone's needs sounds like a beautiful idea, sitting on inventory that has poor turns will do you no good.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your input! I'm not actually doing this to determine what total volume to buy - I'm going to begin buying in relatively small quantities for exactly the reasons you state. Then I'll determine how much more to buy when I see how it sells.

The purpose of this thread is to determine whether my beliefs as to which calibers to buy - based on my observations at the range - are accurate among INGO members. I plan to only stock the most popular calibers, believing that the "80/20" rule applies perfectly here - that only about 20% of the available calibers will cover the needs of 80% of shooters.

Thanks again. (And I see how you chose your username!)

Guy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Would definitely like to try it out, but the hours of operation just don't fit with my work schedule. :( Really a bummer because its a short drive from I live too!

TFT has expanded the hours of operation (now 9 to 5), but that probably doesn't help much if you work all day on weekends!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that all of 'em you've listed would be perfect to stock; with the addition of .380ACP. .380 is VERY very popular these days and not always easy to find.

Do what you can to keep your margin on it at small as you're able do folks don't think you're gouging them. Heck, even post YOUR price paid to show folks when they grumble.

And don't be afraid to switch up your supplier as often as you need to keep prices down.

You might even want to get in contact with one of the local or semi-local professional reloaders to see if you can work something out: IE brass goes back to 'em / cleaned out projectiles go back to 'em too, etc

-J-

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I only shoot 9mm so I can't speak for the other calibers, but I will say I rarely buy ammo at the range. Usually I can find Winchester White Box at my local walmart for a little less than $12 for 50 rounds. If I make a spur of the moment decision to shoot more ammo than I brought I will only do so if I can get it for close to the walmart price. A couple extra bucks for the convenience isn't a big deal to me, but once it gets above $15 per 50 rounds I generally start to pack my things.

For what its worth, I prefer Winchester White Box or Remington UMC for my plinking ammo; I tend to shy away from Wolf and Blazer.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd also suggest that you not shy away from steel-cased ammo.

It's going to be cheaper to buy; and therefore cheaper for you to re-sell. And all it takes is one of those golf-club looking magnet things to separate the steel cases from the brass ones (provided you want to recycle 'em or re sell 'em)

-J-

Top Bottom