• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Well, Myself and my 2 boys went to JP today to do some shooting.We had to wait at least aa hour for the rain to stop.
    It was our first time there. I brought a couple of rifles and about 4 pistols, but the hit of the day was shooting my unissued Polish M-44 Mosin. Although I have had many Mosins, today was the first time I shot one. I have always been more of a collector and just an occasional shooter. Except for shooting pistols at an indoor range.
    The Mosin stole the show and attracted a lot of attention.
    Now both my sons ages 22 and 20 want one. I guess there are 3 more devote Mosin followers to be added to the group.
    Sorry guys no pictures.:rockwoot:

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Should have come to NPCCC. We had a match this morning and a bunch of guys stayed and shot afterwards. Even had at least one SKS I know.

Sure would be a lot closer!!!!

Glad you are getting your kids out to shoot, I took my 2 youngest girls out yesterday and we had a blast!

Buckaroo

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I went to JP today as well. Got off work a little early, knocked out my homework by 2 and decided to go shooting.

Never been there before and it's an hour and a half's drive from me. I looked on the DNR's site to see what time Willow Slough closed, it said 4pm. It was 230, would take me an hour to get there so I checked JP. It said it closed at 5pm so I decided to head out there.

Picked up my girlfriend and her little brother who's never even held a gun and we drove out toward JP. It took me a little while to find the range itself, pulled up right at 4. I was pretty excited, I had two rifles I haven't been able to shoot yet since there's nowhere nearby to fire them and I had a new shooter with me. I see the yellow gates are locked up and note the sign says closed at 4pm Chicago time, 5pm local time. I didn't account for them being on a different time zone.

So I spent 3 hours in the car with seven guns and two passengers and never got to fire a shot. Hugely disappointed.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Jasper/Pulaski is on Central time not eastern so I don't know why they would have been closed they are on the south east corner of the time zone.

Maybe the RO lives in EST and got confused.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Jasper/Pulaski is on Central time not eastern so I don't know why they would have been closed they are on the south east corner of the time zone.

Maybe the RO lives in EST and got confused.

No, they closed at the posted time, 5pm est, 4pm cst.

But the DNR website just says "closed at 5pm." so the website is incorrect.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    NPCCC

Should have come to NPCCC. We had a match this morning and a bunch of guys stayed and shot afterwards. Even had at least one SKS I know.

Glad you are getting your kids out to shoot, I took my 2 youngest girls out yesterday and we had a blast!

Buckaroo
    NPCCC is a lot closer....but it cost to join, and my veiw is unless you do a lot of shooting it may not be worth it. JP is free and you don't have to work your shooting around scheduled matches.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Fairly certain the Slough is CST, that's the only way I could see the time discrepancy between the two ranges on the dnr website. One's on EST and one on CST. CST closes at 4 and EST closes at 5, which is the same exact time of the day if you disregard the time zone.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    what was your impression of the JP range? have'nt been there myself, just kinda curious to find out alittle info before I make a trip out there.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

Buckaroo

I was one of the people there shooting after the match. My wife shot her new J Frame and I put some rounds thru my new Springfield 1911 9mm and my Noveske AR. Let 2 guys put some full power loads thru my 329 PD. Great bunch of people there.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    JP

what was your impression of the JP range? have'nt been there myself, just kinda curious to find out alittle info before I make a trip out there.
    I liked the range...but my impression is that on weekends, I bet they are pretty crowded. We sat in the car for at least an hour waiting for the rain to stop and so did some other people. There isn't a DNR guy watching over you all the time ...Like at Willow Slough. If you load up your Magizine you can run them off if you want.
    My sons went to Willow Slough a couple of weeks ago, after about a 10 minute class explaining the what not to do's they were allowed to shoot. They were also told ...NO RAPID FIRE...there must be at least 2 seconds between shots. My sons are 22 and 20 years old...and all they brought were single shot shotguns and bolt action rifles.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

AngryFish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Jasper Pulaski also has a no rapid fire restriction.

I brought some steel poppers out there and set them up in the empty handgun lane. Was practicing hitting them all rapid fire and was stopped, 1st for using metal targets, 2nd for rapid fire. The kicker is I was using some bulk 9MM range safe ammo which definitely disintegrates on impact so no danger of a ricochet.

I think it has something to do with it being a DNR range as there seem to be more restrictions on them.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You can only shoot paper at JP. This is mostly because all of the stupid people. No offense ment to anyone here but this is why I try not to go on the weekends. Because of the people there.

I was there on Sunday and I watched people shoot SKS's from the hip, a .50 cal at the 25 yard range, and two handed pistol shooting. Retards.

I have shot there almost weekly for the last 2 years. The RO's are good guys and will leave you alone as long as you follow the rules. If you want to rapid fire and your rounds climb the berm you will get stopped. For the most part they leave you alone but when there are a ton of people they have to police the range more. And I am glad they do. I am tired of IDIOTS attempting to go down range before clearing it with everyone on the line. The idiots are everywhere. There are holes 6-10 feet in front of the targets. Stupid people trying to shoot the posts (thanks, now they have to be replaced which costs money). Holes in the garbage cans and signs from them being shot. It's no wonder the RO's keep an eye on people.

The range is free. So please respect the range and the rules. Or else we won't have it anymore.

AngryFish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    It only perturbs me because I was a cautious experienced shooter with the proper equipment on a relatively empty range during off-peak hours. Rapid fire to me means as fast as you can pull the trigger. Hitting a double or triple popper from the 25yd line with a glock doesn't seem excessive.

Chiding me for the metal poppers is one thing, for rapid fire is another.

I remember when lasalle got shut down due to the idiots out there with propane tanks and old TV's.

Seems there should be a safe middle ground somewhere. I've encountered a few really cool RO's at JP. It's just this specific experience where things differed.

You can only shoot paper at JP. This is mostly because all of the stupid people. No offense ment to anyone here but this is why I try not to go on the weekends. Because of the people there.

I was there on Sunday and I watched people shoot SKS's from the hip, a .50 cal at the 25 yard range, and two handed pistol shooting. Retards.

I have shot there almost weekly for the last 2 years. The RO's are good guys and will leave you alone as long as you follow the rules. If you want to rapid fire and your rounds climb the berm you will get stopped. For the most part they leave you alone but when there are a ton of people they have to police the range more. And I am glad they do. I am tired of IDIOTS attempting to go down range before clearing it with everyone on the line. The idiots are everywhere. There are holes 6-10 feet in front of the targets. Stupid people trying to shoot the posts (thanks, now they have to be replaced which costs money). Holes in the garbage cans and signs from them being shot. It's no wonder the RO's keep an eye on people.

The range is free. So please respect the range and the rules. Or else we won't have it anymore.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I wasn't commenting on you personally. Just what I saw over the weekend. I do think JP is the middle ground between what Lasalle was and what Willow Slough is. Which is why I hate to see people being stupid there.

AngryFish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I agree with you. I guess I sometimes wax nostalgic when recalling the old days. JP was the first range I ever shot at. Many years ago at age 10 or 12 I can remember bringing a few green bean cans down to the end of the lane and making them dance with my Dad's remington .22 pump.

Nowadays I punch paper with the best of them but sometimes I just want to plink and for the life of me I cant figure out where to go to do that.

Dont know anyone with private property expansive enough for some safe rimfire fun.

I've always liked reactive targets. Thats why I like shooting silhouettes.

That being said, I definitely appreciate the availability of a free range like J.P.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I wasn't commenting on you personally. Just what I saw over the weekend. I do think JP is the middle ground between what Lasalle was and what Willow Slough is. Which is why I hate to see people being stupid there.

We were at the 25 yd range furthest to the left.....and a couple of feet in front of the wire mesh was a bunch of shotgun shells stuck in the sand that someone was using for targets.

Top Bottom