• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    I had a thread a while back ago about carrying in state parks, mainly Indiana Dunes State Park because we were going up there for a week with my girlfriend's family. While there, I open carried everywhere except for the beach. We were in the nature center, beach pavilion, and camp store and no one even gave me a second look. This was my first time open carrying and it really didn't bother me. Like mentioned, there were no dirty looks, even while I was shaving in the public bathrooms.

My girlfriend's grandpa asked me about my license and we hit it off about guns and the like, and he said he didn't think he was able to carry up there. I told him that the law had changed and as long as he had a valid license, he was able to carry.

Now, when he was leaving, he ran into a DNR officer and asked him about carrying, whether it be concealed carry or open carry. The DNR officer said that carrying a gun is "absolutely not allowed here."

I believe the DNR officer is misinformed on the current law and was curious to see if a friendly call up there was in order. I do not have a name, but I would like to see my girlfriend's grandpa carry up there when we go up next year. I just don't want him to be afraid to carry up there when he goes.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    State parks are good to go since 2006. Be careful that you're not carrying onto federal property such as anything managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. IIRC, there are a few places where it shifts from State Park to ACOE property unexpectedly. National Parks are also good to go as of Feb 2010.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    See now why would the DNR person say something like that when the law is otherwise? Is it becuase...

DNR man was uninformed?
    DNR man wanted to "discourage" guns in his park
    DNR answered the question "technically" (ie grandpa ask can I carry a gun OC/CC) and "technically" the answer is NO now if grandpa asked can I carry a gun OC/CC if I have my LTCH then the answer would have been different.

:dunno:

Top Bottom