• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I normally carry OWB in the summer with a tucked-in shirt, and a very lightweight cotton vest as a cover garment. I was without the vest, almost asleep when a vehicle crash occurred right outside my front gate, between a truck, towing a boat, and a sedan. truck crossed the center line and mashed the left side of the car. I went out and called it in, checked the occupants..... the lady in the car was fine, but the gent in the truck was ..... well....... not alert and oriented X3, turned out it was due to alcohol. Point is, I'm now open carrying in the middle of a high-volume State Road directing traffic. Local LEO's, County LEO's, and State Troopers all showed up, and over the next hour and a half, none of them paid any obvious attention to, nor did they mention my firearm. I didn't think about it until afterward, but I wasn't uncomfortable at all...... and I'm not inclined to change my preferred mode of carry, but I thought things went well.... maybe it was because I bribed 'em with bottled ice water, in the 90 degree heat.... :dunno:

I know quite a few of the local LEO's around here, but I didn't know any of these guys/gals.......

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Good job checking on the occupants and trying to assist them ! Also , its the weekend so some of the officers who responded could have been reserves , thus the unfamiliar faces.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I normally carry OWB in the summer with a tucked-in shirt, and a very lightweight cotton vest as a cover garment. I was without the vest, almost asleep when a vehicle crash occurred right outside my front gate, between a truck, towing a boat, and a sedan. truck crossed the center line and mashed the left side of the car. I went out and called it in, checked the occupants..... the lady in the car was fine, but the gent in the truck was ..... well....... not alert and oriented X3, turned out it was due to alcohol. Point is, I'm now open carrying in the middle of a high-volume State Road directing traffic. Local LEO's, County LEO's, and State Troopers all showed up, and over the next hour and a half, none of them paid any obvious attention to, nor did they mention my firearm. I didn't think about it until afterward, but I wasn't uncomfortable at all...... and I'm not inclined to change my preferred mode of carry, but I thought things went well.... maybe it was because I bribed 'em with bottled ice water, in the 90 degree heat.... :dunno:

I know quite a few of the local LEO's around here, but I didn't know any of these guys/gals.......
    Even when I've seen you OC, it kind of looks like it belongs there. If you weren't carrying, the probably would have said, "Sir, we need to get you a gun... " :):
    I always suspected you were a closet OCer :D
    Now that's funny! :D

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I always suspected you were a closet OCer :D

HA, I've been called lots of things, but not that........ :D

Even when I've seen you OC, it kind of looks like it belongs there. If you weren't carrying, the probably would have said, "Sir, we need to get you a gun... "

I wonder if they would've let me pick it out?...... I mean the gun....:cool:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Then you should say, "Can I take one for my friend, too?" and get me one. I'll take a 1911 in .45, please. :)

then, as they dismissed me by patting me on the head..... saying, "go inside where it's cool and rest a while...... :fogey:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    then, as they dismissed me by patting me on the head..... saying, "go inside where it's cool and rest a while...... :fogey:

Well...while they're patting you on the head, you could always hug them and walk away with their side arm.
    If all else fails, you know how to do that. :n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Good on ya, Jay.

I've happened across a few accidents in which I've assisted. But nothing right outside my front door!

Did you offer anyone bottles/classes of water? ;-)

-J-

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Good on ya, Jay.

I've happened across a few accidents in which I've assisted. But nothing right outside my front door!

Did you offer anyone bottles/classes of water? ;-)

-J-

...what JG said...

.. and I told the female officer who was interviewing the lady, that she could take the lady in my house, with the A/C...which she did... the lady didn't require medical care, but she was NOT liking the heat....... nor dealing well with it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    .. and I told the female officer who was interviewing the lady, that she could take the lady in my house, with the A/C...which she did... the lady didn't require medical care, but she was NOT liking the heat....... nor dealing well with it.

Good guy, you.
    I'm sure she really appreciated it. If anybody in my family is ever in a situation like this, I hope they encounter somebody like you, too.

A question about this thread, though...
    Why was it moved to "General Firearms"? If anything, shouldn't it have gone into the "Carry issues" area (being that it was concerning a CCer who OC'd)?
    Just wondering...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A question about this thread, though...
    Why was it moved to "General Firearms"? If anything, shouldn't it have gone into the "Carry issues" area (being that it was concerning a CCer who OC'd)?
    Just wondering...

Agreed.

Being that it has something to do with firearms, it certainly didn't belong in the Break Room.

And although General Firearms is sorta the "Break Room for Gun Stuff", the main point to the OP was that he open carried and felt OK with it.

Therefore, I too believe it should go in the Carry Issues forum.

[/formerModOCDHatOff]

:D

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Agreed.

Being that it has something to do with firearms, it certainly didn't belong in the Break Room.

And although General Firearms is sorta the "Break Room for Gun Stuff", the main point to the OP was that he open carried and felt OK with it.

Therefore, I too believe it should go in the Carry Issues forum.

[/formerModOCDHatOff]

:D

it's alright evan it's still to soon and fresh in your mind, a few LEO are scum threads without the banhammer will calm you down.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I didn't think about it until afterward, but I wasn't uncomfortable at all......in the 90 degree heat....

You must be hardcore. Still makes me sweat just thinking about it. :D

Glad to hear you were able to help.

Top Bottom