• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I spent Sunday shooting with fellow INGOer troy_mp at his family's farm in southern Indiana. We set our target stands up in an unused cow pasture with a LARGE hill as our backstop. Though we had the ability to shoot a couple hundred yards, we chose to stay much closer than that (about 35 yards), in order to get Troy's carbine sighted in and do some short-range work with the carbines and pistols.

Weather was overcast but mild, with no wind to speak of. Troy was shooting his M&P-15 (Federal XM193 55gr FMJ, and .22LR with his CMMG conversion kit), while I ran both my M4 and my 10.5" shorty (Barnaul Brown Bear 62gr JHP), as well as my suppressed G17 (Federal AE 147gr FMJ). Targets were AQT and Redcoats that Troy had picked up at the Appleseed Mini the day before (you really need to put up an AAR for that, bro!).

I burned about 250 rounds of .223 and 80 rounds of 9mm, with no issues to report. Highlights of the day were:

1) being treated to a couple low passes by a pair of C-130s out on maneuvers from parts unknown

2) Troy's groups running ~2" at 35 yards with iron sights, then immediately shrinking to sub-1" when he put my Aimpoint COMP-C3 on his gun :D

3) a country-style buffet lunch, courtesy of Troy's mom (that lady can COOK)

Much fun was had by all.

targets_field.jpg

targets_close.jpg

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I believe he had one double-feed. Not sure what brand of ammo or how many rounds he fired. I thought it showed remarkable accuracy for being a drop-in kit; Troy said that's what he shot the Appleseed Mini with.

Mark is correct, (i.e.), one double-feed per Remington .22 long rifle copper clad. No problems otherwise.

As Mark mentioned, pretty fair accuracy for a drop-in kit but one could certainly tell the difference as to accuracy vs. the .223. The latter producing appreciably tighter groups. Still, can't kick too much given the cost savings which will thereby encourage more practice.

Great AAR Mark. Mom will appreciate knowing you enjoyed the meal. :D

Mark very graciously treated me to two full mags on his Glock 9 mm with suppressor. At his suggestion I stood off about 10 yds. to his side in order to appreciate the oddity of 1.) barely hearing the pop of the round going off, 2.) the whoosh of the sub-sonic round going down-range and 3.) the thud of the round as it hit the earth after having passed through the target. Very Mr. Wizard.

Mark also let me crack off a full mag on his M4 shorty. I provided the ammo. on that one per my Federal XM193 55gr FMJ .223 as I didn't want to 'wear-out-my-welcome' ;-)

Having no basis for comparison the first time I shot the Federal ammo via Mark's M4 shorty I let out an 'excited utterance' involving the sanctification of excrement as I got the 'up-close-and-personal' effect of a ~2' diameter fireball as viewed via Mark's Aimpoint CompC3 mounted on the shorty.

Mark laughed. I let my eyes re-dialate and tried not to let the 'ear-to-ear' grin on my face spoil my next attempted cheek weld.

Prior to firing I would've surmised that the fireball would be coterminous to the muzzle. Instead, the fireball didn't fully manifest itself until about eight inches off the end of the muzzle. Very cool effect.

My 'inner mom voice' tells me I ought not to play with Mark anymore as given all his 'toys' I'm going to do nothing but impoverish myself as I seek to secure similar 'fun' for myself. lol ;-)

'Twas indeed a fine day. Thanks again to Mark for his inexhaustible patience in answering all my questions about 'how this works', 'how does one go about selecting that', etc., etc., etc.

I did score one minor victory on the gear-envy front when I unfurled my tenting ground cover topped by my Thermarest camping air mattress for shooting prone. Mark pronounced it "Pimpin".

It was no 'ginormous fireball but hey ... guys 'gotta start somewhere.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like a great day. Where were you guys at? I saw the 2-ship of C-130's myself here in Seymour. They flew nearly directly over my house (ground track was maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile due west of my house), on a NE to SW heading. Low enough for a good visual and the wonderful turboprop humm!

I see them frequently overhead on a N-S heading as they are usually either coming up from L'ville (ANG base there) to Atterbury or vice versa. Occasionally they'll do a touch and go here in Seymour at Freeman Field, or even drop some paratroopers here depending on the traning mission.

When dropping paratroopers they usually come on a SE to NW heading to align with one of the run-ways. They then bank out either to the north direclty over my house, or turn and head 180deg from teh original heading, then return to drop more.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    2) Troy's groups running ~2" at 35 yards with iron sights, then immediately shrinking to sub-1" when he put my Aimpoint COMP-C3 on his gun :D

Ahh, the sickness has begun! :D

Call me next time! I'm always up for guns and grub. (like it would've mattered, I was working on Sunday :xmad:)

Thanks for the report!

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    "Let me say this about that"... I consider myself to be a fairly smart guy, but next time I take a road trip with you, I'm bringing my damn thesaurus. :laugh:
    No small praise coming from a university educated communications major. My folks'll be pleased as punch to know that they got some return on their investment in my education. ;)

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Shooter's Word of the Day

"Let me say this about that"... I consider myself to be a fairly smart guy, but next time I take a road trip with you, I'm bringing my damn thesaurus. :laugh:

Coterminous

Main Entry: co·ter·mi·nous
    Pronunciation: \(ˌ)kō-ˈtər-mə-nəs\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: alteration of conterminous
    Date: 1799
    1 : having the same or coincident boundaries <a voting district coterminous with the city>
    2 : coextensive in scope or duration <an experience of life coterminous with the years of his father — Elizabeth Hardwick>

— co·ter·mi·nous·ly adverb

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    So could coterminous be used in this case in conjunction with coaxial and/or coincident?
    At the risk of our devolving into pedantry (and haven't I just done so per the use of the word "pedantry" ) ... "Coaxial" works per its definition as an adjective but "coincident" is defined as "... same time or space." As such I don't think "coincident" works as "coterminous" means a shared border, not shared space.

"Abut" is likely most to the point per ...

abut - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

"Main Entry: abut
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): abut·ted; abut·ting
    Etymology: Middle English abutten, from Anglo-French aboter, abuter, partly from Old French aboter to border on, from a- (from Latin ad-) + bout blow, end, from boter to strike; partly from Old French abuter to come to an end, from a- + but end, aim — more at 1butt, 4butt
    Date: 15th century
    intransitive verb 1 : to touch along a border or with a projecting part <land abuts on the road>
    2 a : to terminate at a point of contact b : to lean for support"

Hi, my name is Troy and I'm a logophiliac. Lamentably it's not contagious. The worst side affect is occassional diarrhea of the mouth. At least that's what I've been told since youth ... repeatedly. And at times with great vigor. :D

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    At the risk of our devolving into pedantry (and haven't I just done so per the use of the word "pedantry" ) ... "Coaxial" works per its definition as an adjective but "coincident" is defined as "... same time or space." As such I don't think "coincident" works as "coterminous" means a shared border, not shared space.

"Abut" is likely most to the point per ...

abut - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

"Main Entry: abut
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): abut·ted; abut·ting
    Etymology: Middle English abutten, from Anglo-French aboter, abuter, partly from Old French aboter to border on, from a- (from Latin ad-) + bout blow, end, from boter to strike; partly from Old French abuter to come to an end, from a- + but end, aim — more at 1butt, 4butt
    Date: 15th century
    intransitive verb 1 : to touch along a border or with a projecting part <land abuts on the road>
    2 a : to terminate at a point of contact b : to lean for support"

Hi, my name is Troy and I'm a logophiliac. Lamentably it's not contagious. The worst side affect is occassional diarrhea of the mouth. At least that's what I've been told since youth ... repeatedly. And at times with great vigor. :D

Nothing wrong with having a large vocabulary, and kudos for knowing how and when to use some of those big words!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll make a mental note to extend an invitation. And ask that Mark help me to remember too. :yesway:

I only ask because I know this:

My 'inner mom voice' tells me I ought not to play with Mark anymore as given all his 'toys' I'm going to do nothing but impoverish myself as I seek to secure similar 'fun' for myself. lol ;-)

and this:

Thanks again to Mark for his inexhaustible patience in answering all my questions about 'how this works', 'how does one go about selecting that', etc., etc., etc.

all too well!

You don't know what you've started by shooting with this guy! ;)

Top Bottom