• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SandHill84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Camby/Mooresville area
    I took a very long look at a vanguard in .308 today; price was very nice at $549. I've not seen a lot of comments on this rifle on this forum after doing a search. Would welcome feedback on experiences with this rifle. Accuracy? I know weatherby is known for accuracy. Also, what about dependability?

Thanks!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Seems a little expensive. I got a .30-06 at Wally Mart a few years ago for just over $350. I was looking for a .308 as well, but I couldn't pass that up. BTW, they're the same thing as a Howa 1500, and those are usually cheaper.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Asked a friend of mine that is a gunsmith, what would be a good action to make a custom rifle on and he recommended a weatherby vg/ howa 1500 action. He said he viewed it as an upgraded rem 700 action with a better extractor, modular trigger group that is easier to work on and a bolt that disassembles for cleaning in 10 seconds with no tools.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Asked a friend of mine that is a gunsmith, what would be a good action to make a custom rifle on and he recommended a weatherby vg/ howa 1500 action. He said he viewed it as an upgraded rem 700 action with a better extractor, modular trigger group that is easier to work on and a bolt that disassembles for cleaning in 10 seconds with no tools.

While my Vanguard certainly shoots well and is accurate, I think I'd stick to a Remington 700 or a Savage if I were going to buy a rifle with the intent of customizing it. There are a lot more options for either of those than the Weatherby/Howa platform.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    While my Vanguard certainly shoots well and is accurate, I think I'd stick to a Remington 700 or a Savage if I were going to buy a rifle with the intent of customizing it. There are a lot more options for either of those than the Weatherby/Howa platform.

Maybe im slow I dont understand your meaning.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Maybe im slow I dont understand your meaning.

Just throwing out the idea that there are many more parts and accessories made specifically for Remington 700's (not 770's!) and Savage's (most use the same basic action) than there are for Vanguards and Howas. If you're just going to put a scope on and enjoy it then any of the three are good guns, as are many other choices.

But a Weatherby/Howa would not be my 1st choice for a customized gun. When I investigated upgrading my Vanguard you could buy a Timney trigger and/or a Bell&Carlson stock (a Medalist or one that was essentially the same stock that comes with it); that was it. The selection of rings and bases was limited as well. That was also several years ago, so things may have changed.

Of course, your definition of custom and mine may be different. If you're going to have a gunsmith make custom parts from scratch, then any quality rifle is a good candidate... and the Vanguard/Howa is certainly a quality rifle.

Top Bottom