• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    It was extremely obvious I was waiting to pass. I gave them plenty of time to say their parting verbage, but instead of doing that, the guy angrily tried to shoo me away. By then, there was no need to lower my window and plead with them to move it along. His disdain for common courtesy heightened the situation as well as my response. He was aggressive, shouting and close to my vehicle as I passed. This is not the time to lower your window to have a conversation. He couldn't see me or know how many others were in my vehicle, so I played that card in my favor.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Yeah, the troublemakers in my neighborhood are gettin pretty brazen as well. Always slow rollin up and down my streetlight free road, no headlights. I live right on a curve so there's no passing them till you clear it. I always wait till I am just barely clear of the curve, downshift to 2nd gear, bounce it off the rev limiter, dump the clutch and SCREAM past them. They just nod or wave, but I know it scares the she-it right outta their horse. Freakin Amish.:xmad:
    :lmfao::lmfao:
    I have to go read the rest of he thread, I couldn't stop laughing at your post, horse crap or not:lmfao:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    It was extremely obvious I was waiting to pass. I gave them plenty of time to say their parting verbage, but instead of doing that, the guy angrily tried to shoo me away. By then, there was no need to lower my window and plead with them to move it along. His disdain for common courtesy heightened the situation as well as my response. He was aggressive, shouting and close to my vehicle as I passed. This is not the time to lower your window to have a conversation. He couldn't see me or know how many others were in my vehicle, so I played that card in my favor.
    Sounds like you handled it well to me... Nobody got shot, ran over, or beat down; but it does sound like a few people need a boot in the ass!

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Sure, there's people who stand outside there houses, just as my children and I should be able to safely do so. But we're not causing a disturbance with drug traffic, intimidation and just plain stupidity. What's worse is that their own kids hang out with them and are indoctrinated to this lifestyle and the problem continues with the next generation.

So there evidence of ongoing drug traffic and criminal intimidation? Have you bothered to mention this to local law enforcement? Surely that would've made a more interesting OP had you bothered to mention it.

I don't know about you but race never enters my mind when thug is used as a descriptor. It only brings to mind behavior. Assigning racial identifiers to non-racial words only limits discussion and sidetracks it.

If that's the case then you have been lucky in your encounters. I'm a white guy in Indiana, so I've run into plenty of racists who aren't brave enough to toss out explicit slurs and resort to euphemisms like "thug" with an obviously implied wink and nudge. It's all about context.

I have known you to get conversation rolling not just give a hard time. We all do that on occasion. I actually enjoy the results of your posts at times. Others, well, we all have our opinions.
    That said I think I read my own experiences into his post. My area has been subjected to a roller coaster ride since just before the housing bubble burst. I grew up here. It has always been blue collar and a great place to grow up in. Like all areas, things change.
    We at one point owned many rental property's in this area. We bought distressed property's and turned them around. Some we rented and some we flipped or sold on contract. Do that for a few years and you get a whole new outlook on people. All people not just folks of color. When I say thug it is not in a racially demeaning way but you have to know that the attitude and lifestyle is pretty much put forth by a small ethnic group from all races. Unfortunately those of color are in the majority. That is why we all revert to racist when the word thug comes up. I will not delve any deeper into this just know we are aware of the proper use of the word. Not race baiting.

I'm genuinely curious why the OP didn't bother to include specific criminal allegations in his post and why so many just assumed it was present in the situation. I'm aware of the glamorized "thug" or "gangsta" lifestyle and that it's largely associated with black men, but the OP couldn't be bothered to supply evidence to support the notion that this was the lifestyle of those he complained about in the OP.

I don't have any idea what you mean by "That is why we all revert to racist when the word thug comes up."

I'm sure they probably do know where I live being that I drive up and down the street everyday. I'm not going to live in fear though of retaliation for turning my brights on and driving slow past the idiot in question. I work out of my home as a graphic designer, so I'm always right here with the necessary 'tools' on my hip if someone like that is willing to turn a 'slight' into a break-in and attempted murder.

That seems a reasonable position to me. No one should be obligated to live in fear. Here's hoping that the conflict stays confined to dark looks.

Same goes for me in the snack aisle at WalMart.

Too bad. They're doing you a favor by blocking your access to salt/fat/sugar-laden junk.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    So there evidence of ongoing drug traffic and criminal intimidation? Have you bothered to mention this to local law enforcement? Surely that would've made a more interesting OP had you bothered to mention it.

If that's the case then you have been lucky in your encounters. I'm a white guy in Indiana, so I've run into plenty of racists who aren't brave enough to toss out explicit slurs and resort to euphemisms like "thug" with an obviously implied wink and nudge. It's all about context.

I'm genuinely curious why the OP didn't bother to include specific criminal allegations in his post and why so many just assumed it was present in the situation. I'm aware of the glamorized "thug" or "gangsta" lifestyle and that it's largely associated with black men, but the OP couldn't be bothered to supply evidence to support the notion that this was the lifestyle of those he complained about in the OP.

I don't have any idea what you mean by "That is why we all revert to racist when the word thug comes up."

That seems a reasonable position to me. No one should be obligated to live in fear. Here's hoping that the conflict stays confined to dark looks.

Too bad. They're doing you a favor by blocking your access to salt/fat/sugar-laden junk.

So aside from trying to limit what sort of language people can use, you would also limit what sort of food they can eat.
    You should apply to work for the national government.

For your edification, thug according to Merriam-Webster: "a violent criminal; a brutal ruffian or assassin".

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thanks for your input. In the spirit of edification, I'll enlighten you to the fact that crappy rice cakes, shriveled raisins, and gross dried papaya are in that aisle. So, yeah...maybe you're right. *wink*nudge*

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So aside from trying to limit what sort of language people can use, you would also limit what sort of food they can eat.
    You should apply to work for the national government.

For your edification, thug according to Merriam-Webster: "a violent criminal; a brutal ruffian or assassin".

I think the reference was towards my statement of the racist label the word thug has acquired.

Unfortunately when a word is labeled or used mainly to describe actions of an individual or group of individuals and those people are mainly of color the word brings that group to mind when ever it is used. Blacks have attached the word to their own activity's in their music and by using it constantly to describe that life style and referring to it as their own. "Thug life" is commonly used in those circles like a badge of honer.
    That is why when the word is used it puts that group in mind. They wanted to own it, now they do.

I was not race baiting or setting this up to go in that direction. When conversation is about those who act in this manner that activity is most likely describing a group of "Thugs' as they are so fond of calling themselves.

Edit...as to his obvious omissions I think he may have been avoiding these very issues. We are a kinder and gentler ingo these days. PC is part of our lives like it or not.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm

No, I have not been lucky in my encounters. I've encountered racists and thugs of all ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds. Context can be subjective but still it does exist. If a statement is uttered that could be interpreted one way or the other I will ask for clarification and make my opposing view known. Most importantly is words mean something apart from context. I give the interpretive weight over to the meaning of words within the sentence first and then contextual content. Again Using the word thug does not bring to my mind any race or ethnicity.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana

Cops are already on it and they go up and down our street on patrol fairly often. Yes, there is a criminal element here. I didn't call them thugs or criminals in the OP because that would have been generalizing and I would be fighting for my life on here being labeled a racist, for which I'm not. I let the actions of those involved speak for themselves.

I'm a white guy too, and I'm faced with racists all the time. Don't fall for the crap saying that only a white person can be racist. They're all over the world. And what's this about being 'brave' enough to brand yourself. Too many platitudes and double standards exist. As I mentioned previously, not one mention of color or euphemisms were used in the OP. Therefore, it sounds like you painted the picture in your mind of what the players in the scene must have looked like and made a call to start with the racism diatribe.

It was a rant, and we write rants all the time here on INGO. Is there a rule that each rant MUST include evidence of a crime in progress? Your reaching.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm a white guy in Indiana, so I've run into plenty of racists who aren't brave enough to toss out explicit slurs and resort to euphemisms like "thug" with an obviously implied wink and nudge

So, jrogers. Is your name actually Jasmine Rogers, a black woman in fact. Not that it really matters to me, but I've seen this 'race-baiting' technique used before.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Thanks for your input. In the spirit of edification, I'll enlighten you to the fact that crappy rice cakes, shriveled raisins, and gross dried papaya are in that aisle. So, yeah...maybe you're right. *wink*nudge*
    Mmm ... Appetizing! I think I'll stick with honey buns:lmfao:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Thug is not a racial slur. Of course, I remember a time when gay meant "happy".
    And queer meant different... But to a person who thinks every white person is a racist, any term that could be twisted to fit a stereotype to help further their belief, even though they are most likely the true racist.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hood was the operative word years ago. Means the same as thug, and nobody owns it but violent criminals.

jrogers, stop with the conflict resolution, pc, racism around every corner view of the world.
    You and others of your mindset with your constant cries of wolf are doing a disservice to the validity of actual events of racism.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I like Zombie. Standing out in the middle of the night, howlin' at the moon.

Creep or creeper still has meaning, although used infrequently.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thug is not a racial slur. Of course, I remember a time when gay meant "happy".

Actually "thug" originated with the term "thugee", which described a member of a violent gang in India in the 19th century...

thug (n.) 1810, "member of a gang of murderers and robbers in India who strangled their victims," from Marathi thag, thak "cheat, swindler," Hindi thag, perhaps from Sanskrit sthaga-s "cunning, fraudulent," possibly from sthagayati "(he) covers, conceals," from PIE root *(s)teg- "cover" (see stegosaurus). Transferred sense of "ruffian, cutthroat" first recorded 1839. The more correct Indian name is phanseegur, and the activity was described in English as far back as c.1665. Rigorously prosecuted by the British from 1831, they were driven from existence, but the process extended over the rest of the 19c.

Online Etymology Dictionary

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I would have thought the reference to arrests happening there would imply that the police are aware of the situation.

You're right! It is terrible to insult the integrity of our Indian neighbors on account of the behavior of one subgroup!

Thuggee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom