• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I took my 12 yr old daughter shooting on Saturday. We had the AK, AR, .22, SKS, and a few .40s.

I built a quicky target stand for my new AR500 plate I bought from ZbornacSVT, and we commenced to firing upon it.

This is what happened after about 2 hours.

(I failed to take a before shot)

deadtarget.jpg

Needless to say, PVC is a crappy way to make a target stand.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I don't know if your observations support this, but i bet bullets splattering off the metal would eat through the plastic pretty quick. used 4x4's work awesome!

Or

quit shooting the stand!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I don't know if your observations support this, but i bet bullets splattering off the metal would eat through the plastic pretty quick. used 4x4's work awesome!

Or

quit shooting the stand!

Looks like the plate held up well though :D

The funny part was I was sighting in my .22 dedicated upper and the first shot of the day was like 12 inches low and left. It hit dead center of the middle support and cracked it in half. I had to repair it after the first shot. That plate swinging around didn't help much either. It was made from 1" PVC, with some 3/4" steel conduit inside for support. That crap didnt last long either.

The screen was wrapped around it to hold clays with clothespins. It worked well until the collapse.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm gonna have to beef my target stands up too (read make from steel). I've been using 2x4's and those get shredded after a few hundred rounds. The wood is still intact, but the momentum of the swinging target finally cracks and kills it too.

Shooting stuff is fun!:rockwoot:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use 2" PVC on mine but never with a steel plate. Best to use PVC for paper only. I did once use water jugs but they didn't cause a problem.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Find a swing set frame, grab some old chain, and bolts, nuts, and washers and you're set. The steel is quite heavy, so you need a sturdy frame to hold it up. I've got to switch to thicker bolts because of the weight. The 50BMG flips the steel up so high, it bends and breaks the bolts off.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The plate did hold up well. What distance was it at?
    We moved it around. We set it up at 125, 100, 75, 50, and 35 yds. It's place of death was at 50 yds. I had to repair it a few times to get some more life out of it, but this picture was of it's final demise.

It took a 2 hour riddling before it fell.

The plate was painted with a heavy coat of fluorescent yellow paint, but in the end, you couldn't see that it was EVER painted.

I wish I would have taken a video of it dying. The last shot sent the plate and the stand swaying back and forth and then it buckled. We laughed pretty hard because of how "long" it took for it to fall over during it's death. It just buckled and crumpled into a heap.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    If you have access to a welder, Use some 1" box tubing. It will still be light enough to move without needing a mule and a wagon.
    If you don't have welding skills, use 1" angle and nuts and bolts.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I can weld, but getting to a welder is a bit of an inconvenience.

The treated 4x4 treated lumber option sounds like a try. Relatively cheap, and easy to replace. I will try that next.

It'll need at least one pack mule to move it.

Top Bottom