• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey guys - I am going to get into waterfowl hunting this year.

Well...maybe a silly question - but, what are your thoughts on needing a camo waterfowl gun? Is it that necessary or just a preference?

I guess it would be a nice excuse for shopping for a new gun...

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Pure preference, but then again its justification to buy a new gun....... So yes it is absolutely necessary and you will not hit a single bird with a non-camo gun.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Hey guys - I am going to get into waterfowl hunting this year.

Well...maybe a silly question - but, what are your thoughts on needing a camo waterfowl gun? Is it that necessary or just a preference?

I guess it would be a nice excuse for shopping for a new gun...

Remember birds have great eye sight;)

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    It's been better than 30 years since I chased waterfowl but we killed quite a few with blued guns.

The big time fowlers had some of the prettiest guns back then. Other than WWII camo clothing, all our camo came from burlap, grass or a rattle can. Very few even thought of camoing a gun unless it was a rust bucket.

Like I said it was some time ago. Maybe the birds are smarter now or maybe we were successful because we threw LEAD.

No it's not necessary but it is a great reason to buy another gun.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Millions and Millions of waterfowl were killed before man thought that dipping a gun in camo film would make it easier to kill birds.

Killing waterfowl takes hardwork, scouting and getting your butt out of bed on 15 degree winter mornings at 4am....not camo guns.

I suggest using a shotgun you have and investing the money on a good acrylic call and a set of a good quality dozen dekes.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Millions and Millions of waterfowl were killed before man thought that dipping a gun in camo film would make it easier to kill birds.

Killing waterfowl takes hardwork, scouting and getting your butt out of bed on 15 degree winter mornings at 4am....not camo guns.

I suggest using a shotgun you have and investing the money on a good acrylic call and a set of a good quality dozen dekes.

+1 to that.

I personally use an 11-87 Sportsman with the synthetic (plastic) stocks.

I just don't understand guys that take a gun with beautiful wood, checkering or craftsmanship out in a duck or goose blind. No matter how careful you are, things get muddy and dirty, dents, dings, and such. I couldn't live with myself if I had a $5000 gun and did that to it. so I keep my $500 gun and don't worry about it.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys. You are solidifying my thoughts.

I have an 11-87 Sportsman with the synthetic black stock which will work just fine.

But, I keep tossing around two other points:
    - The camo "coat" as an extra protective layer
    - Birds do have great eyesight (not that it is going to be a deal breaker, but good point)

Well...I'll keep kicking it around. I would really like to pick up a new semi-auto in waterfowl camo, but hate to spend much more than $500. We'll see.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My first duck gun was an old winchester single barrel 12 gauge, and it did me just fine. Actually, it was the same gun that I used for early season squirrel, and rabbits.
    It would have been nice to have the extra two shots at times, but I got by just fine. If you are looking for an excuse to buy a new gun, then that would be a good one, but you can get by with just about anything with a tight choke that handles steel shot.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Non-glare, not camo for me

In the 30+ years I have hunted waterfowl I have not found a camo gun necessary, but I do like my SBE with flat black Duracoat and synthetic stock. It has seen many seasons and taken lots of ducks and geese.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A camo gun is about as necessary as a camo truck.

What about a van?:D
    pigrigpost.jpg

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    What about a van?:D
    pigrigpost.jpg
    Thats some kinda sweet arse van-truck combo:rockwoot:

A vruck, or maybe a tran........

Anyway, as others said a camo gun is completely unnecessary but a great excuse to buy a new gun. I've been using a 11-87 premier for several years and don't think it's ever been a problem. Wood stock with glossy blued metal.

The fact that it will help prevent rust is a HUGE plus. No matter how careful you are your gun, gear everything WILL get wet and muddy when waterfowling!!!!!!!

hem_ker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Plymouth
    So, if you have a non-camo gun there is camo-tape available (wal-mart $10). I used that to cover most of my Mossberg 535, and unless you're holding the gun you can't tell the difference :) It's a poor man's way of doin' it, but it works ... and I got a slug barrel out of the deal for the same cost!

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    camo

I have killed a lot of birds with a blued BPS or a black browning silver. The camo guns sure do look nice and probably help with surface rust/wear, but I don't think thet are 100% needed. Keep your hands and face covered up and you will kill some ducks and geese.

David

Top Bottom