• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Some of you are lucky or smart enough to have property with a spring or well that can be accessed by a hand pump or bucket.

What are those that don't going to do for water?
    Rain collection? Dig a well? other?

I use rain barrels for landscaping irrigation but have concerns about using that water for personal consumption because it comes off an asphalt shingled roof. Wondered about digging a well but it is not allowed in my subdivision. Of course when TSHTF I might try to do it anyway but I don't know if it will even be possible in my area (how to dig if we don't have power -driven well?, how deep will I have to go?)

Any one have an experience/expertise?

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Due for a new roof?
    As for how deep? I think its further than really possible with a shovel.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    The river? I don't really know. I wouldn't have to go all the way to the river, there is a small creek right behind my house. I would definitely boil it though. It would probably not kill everything bad but at least it would be an improvement.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Speak with a local well driller they can tell you the static water level, certain areas when I worked construction years ago we hit water at 3', where as I live approx 45 minutes from that area and my static water level is 45'. Do you live in an area where it is all new subdivisions or are their properties surrounding you that are say older homes not in a subdivision? Also if the water treatment facility (more in a rural area, not major city) is close to you those normally have a large well dug. They would have security but in this type of situation they have a well that would be accesible with water.

Due for a new roof?
    As for how deep? I think its further than really possible with a shovel.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    You still have a lot of options for water. You can store some water, have containers to use water in levels of gray water (re-usable water from cleaning, cooking, ect.) water can be collected in several ways even from what seems to be dry, hard ground. a trash bag and a way to dig a small hole can get enough to sustain you and thats clean water. Water filtration is another thing to consider. Don't wory about "power of" situations. People thrived since creation up until about a centry ago without power or plumbing. You can get with us at the shop (Indiana Self Defense) or pm me and we can help. We have monthly meetings the first Thursday of every month that are topic based (this month is water) but are open discussion and include a lot more than the main topic. We have free classes on about everything and you can get one on one help if needed. Just let us know or come to our meetings. The next one is Nov 1st and we are having a preppers pitch in, a dinner using a prep food - must be canned, dehydrated, hunted, ect.....

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The river? I don't really know. I wouldn't have to go all the way to the river, there is a small creek right behind my house. I would definitely boil it though. It would probably not kill everything bad but at least it would be an improvement.

Sand filter, then boil or bleach. Would be about the same effect as municipal water treatment.

Alot of work that is most likely not sustainable, ie: you would need to treat it constantly. May work for a quick fix but not long term.

Millions of folks around the world have to fetch and treat their everyday water. We won't be watching much TV in SHTF, more time for chores.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Millions of folks around the world have to fetch and treat their everyday water. We won't be watching much TV in SHTF, more time for chores.

Understood, what I said was look for a better long term viable source. why make more work for yourself when you will already have plenty to do?

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    You can check your water table charts for your area to see if a shallow well is possible. If it is, I would have the materials on hand to drive my own well and have a hand pump stored away. Just for emergencies, if you are not allowed to have a private well.
    Installation instructions of Water Wells using a Driven Well Point

found this http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/images/floyd_unconsolidated.gif
    Am I reading it right that most of the area should have water available from 5 to 60 feet down?

How deep can the well be for a hand pump to work well?

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Pretty deep, the deeper you go the smaller diameter cylinder you use because you only have so much leverage on the handle and you must lift the column of water from the top of the cylinder to you on every stroke. Also with hand pumps you can drop a 20' stick of tube from the bottom of the cylinder and this allows you to not have to raise that first 20' of water column on each stroke making it easier to pump by hand. That in turn allows you to run a larger cylinder to get more water on each stroke. also look into a Heller Aller model 50L as it raises water on the up and down stroke of the handle. Made in Berne, IN. by Hitzer Manufacturing ask for Mark Swartz.......

found this http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/images/floyd_unconsolidated.gif
    Am I reading it right that most of the area should have water available from 5 to 60 feet down?

How deep can the well be for a hand pump to work well?

Top Bottom