• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just been going back through the threads on water storage.

I spent today hitting the sporting good and big box stores looking for my idea of water storage: 5 gal Plastic Jerry Cans. I picked one up for camping many years ago. Unfortunately all I could find were the soft sided collapsible ones.

I like the idea of using the hard shell plastic jerry cans for SHTF H20 storage, due to it's hard sides and non-collapsible nature that might make it more prone to cracking with moving the container.

What do y'all recommend for long term water storage (I'm thinking of something to store on metal shelves in the basement, easy to mark on, and no larger than 5 gal, so one person can tote it through the house to wherever it's needed.)

Links to websites appreciated!
    Thanks!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Wal-Mart has the blue, Reliant, square-ish, hard plastic 5 gal jugs in sporting goods if that's the sort of thing in which you're interested.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Put a second (operational or not) water heater inline ahead of your current one. You will have an additional 80 gallons in-house, it's always fresh, and has a faucet at the bottom to dispense. City water pressure will push it just fine.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    I would recommend having a few good hand held water filtration pumps. Then look into 5gal buckets. Typically in the midwest there is water everywhere so not as important to have 50,000 gals on hand. 5gal buckets with a good seal-able lid. This will keep light out for long term storage, they are easily transported, you can take a couple buckets cut a couple holes throw in filtration media to make a larger water filter. They are also great for carrying items or bartering with. Many people underestimate the uses of 5gal buckets.

Top Bottom