• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    We have jugs of immediate drinking water, plus a pond behind the house. I keep a small stash of bleach (need to use the pool shock idea) for purification, and I've got plans for a gravity fed sand filter to get the big junk out. In the summer time, we usually have a medium sized splash pool that will hold a ton of water.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Also don't forget that those who have home dehumidifiers have a renewable source of agua as long as there is still electric service.

You will have to boil or treat it, but it's still a source of water

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm thinking of buying a 200 gal tank and set it somewhere in the back yard and connecting it to main water pipe system(one inlet, one outlet), this way water is circulating in it all the time and if SHFT happens, I'll have 200 gal of fresh water enough for 3 months for a family of three.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    this doesn't sound like a good idea to me. :twocents:

Well, it must be a good idea somewhere, since they now sell outside units that basically pull moisture out of the air and collect it.

It's a large dehumidfier built for collection of water for a **** hit's fan or other emergency situation .

Google away.:twocents: :)

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Well, it must be a good idea somewhere, since they now sell outside units that basically pull moisture out of the air and collect it.

It's a large dehumidfier built for collection of water for a **** hit's fan or other emergency situation .

Google away.:twocents: :)

I recall a prominent warning on my dehumidifier suggesting that I not drink the collected water due to some sort of bacteria issue. Perhaps there exists some specialized units. I invite you to look at the tank of any household unit and decide for yourself. Mine has a nice moldy appearance and I wouldn't touch that water with a ten foot straw.

I suggest you read the 'Potability' section on Wikipedia: .Dehumidifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers!

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Like I said in my post days ago....

"You will have to boil it or treat it first, but it is still water"

I suggest you completely read posts entirely before delving out suggestions yourself.

To each his own though, but I keep my dehumidifiers quite clean :D

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Yep. Boiling will remove those heavy metals. Yep.

I read your entire post. Still a bad idea in my opinion.

If you have power, chances are you'll have running water. Of course circumstances could arise to the contrary, but I find HIGHLY unlickely that your suggested method would ever be necessary.

It has been a pleasure. Yep. A real pleasure.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I'm thinking of buying a 200 gal tank and set it somewhere in the back yard and connecting it to main water pipe system(one inlet, one outlet), this way water is circulating in it all the time and if SHFT happens, I'll have 200 gal of fresh water enough for 3 months for a family of three.

I would advise a check valve be installed in the inlet side in the event municipal water source has negative pressure.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I recently added a small "backpacker style" pump filter system to my bug-out-bag...(includes extra filters and parts kit). Also have iodine tablets and the ability to boil.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I purchased a "water bob" container to put in the tub (20 bucks) Im on well, so I can run my generator to power the well pump while I fill up the water bob (about 80 gal). If bugging in, its another water option, and options are good.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne

that sounds like a good idea but two things to think about.

1--I would worry about is freezing if it's above ground. As cold as it get here it

2-- If you put it below ground to keep it from freezing or if your house is higher then the tank getting the water out might be a problem. If you don't have pressure to push the water up to your sink it won't do you any good.

I'm not saying it can't be done just want to think it thru. If you have a basement you could keep the tank there (if it will fit) that would keep it from getting cold and could put a tap on the bottom for getting the water out.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Old hot-water heaters

Strip the insulation and heaters off, plumb the tanks in series or parallel with your present heater, in the attic, lay them down to spread the weight, and have warmed, city-water for instant use for a long time. Don't forget a check-valve.

Top Bottom