• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I recently convinced my family to start stocking up on survival supplies such as food, ammo, medicine. I am curious to what folks are doing to stock up on water? Are you guys storing large amounts of water or purification? What kind of purification system do you use? We are implementing 3 sources. Creek, pond, and pool. We will be purifying all water of course. We have about 10 gallons of water stored in the attic for short term power outages and if the well has problems, but I've seen a lot about survival food online and not as much about water.

My ammo storage is good. Food is progressing. Have around 2 months supply for 6 adults and 1 child. Hoping to reach 4-6 months worth.

Also, does anyone use vitamin and mineral supplements into their survival plans?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ive wondered this alot as well. Does water "go bad" if you were to store it some type of large plastic barrel, or something like that? I guess boiling the **** out of it always works too. Simple and effective

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Since you have a well, you should focus on making it run. A generator, battery bank, maybe a reverse osmosis system. You have the ability to "make" water when you have a well and do it from the safety of your home.

2 months supply of food is nothing without 2 months water.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    There is a device you can drop down your well that will fill up with water and then you can pull it up. Get maybe half a gallon at a time. Looks like a tube with a flap on the bottom. Can't remember what it is called exactly. This way you don't rely on power for good water.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Zoub said it best. However, if this option won't cut it or you are looking for a secondary method, I suggest storing chlorine crystals. Bleach is probably one of the 2 best known water purifiers (boiling being the other), but it goes bad and turns to salt water after about 6 months on the shelf. The smallest amount of chlorine crystals will turn out a large amount of bleach that can then be used to purify the water. Check this out Zen Backpacking - Water Purification, Filtration and Treatment

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am storing water in 2 liter bottles. They are easy to get and pretty easy to store. I am also planning on getting 7 barrels to catch rain water. That should help restock water if need be.

As for vitamin and mineral supplements, I was talking to a friend last night about starting to do just that. I think I'm going to start taking vitamins now to help make sure our bodies are in peck health.

My wife and I have decided to stop buying soda and junk food. So for two weeks no soda and very little junk food. We want to be healthier and I want to try and weed my self off the soda. If we throw in the vitamins that should help a lot. Now the no soda does make a problem when it comes to saving 2 liter bottles.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I am storing water in 2 liter bottles. They are easy to get and pretty easy to store. I am also planning on getting 7 barrels to catch rain water. That should help restock water if need be.

As for vitamin and mineral supplements, I was talking to a friend last night about starting to do just that. I think I'm going to start taking vitamins now to help make sure our bodies are in peck health.

My wife and I have decided to stop buying soda and junk food. So for two weeks no soda and very little junk food. We want to be healthier and I want to try and weed my self off the soda. If we throw in the vitamins that should help a lot. Now the no soda does make a problem when it comes to saving 2 liter bottles.
    Hawaiian Punch comes in 1 gal jugs that work GREAT!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    There is a device you can drop down your well that will fill up with water and then you can pull it up. Get maybe half a gallon at a time. Looks like a tube with a flap on the bottom. Can't remember what it is called exactly. This way you don't rely on power for good water.

It's called a well bucket and very easy to make.
    If you have a 4" well casing, use about 4' of 3" PVC pipe
    Drill two holes in one end to attach a nylon rope
    On the oppoposite end, mate a flapper style check valve so that it is closed when facing down.
    This device can be dropped down your well pipe, the check valve will open and fill the "bucket". When you pull it up, the check valve will close.

Remember, you'll have to pull your well pump to do this, so it's not something you'll want to use unless there is a total power grid down scenario. Reattaching a well pump is a PITA without the right tools and experience.

I bought a 1500 gallon stock tank that I found on craigs list. Got a good deal on it. We also have a Big Berky, several Steri Pens, purifications tabs, and I built a distiller out of a pressure cooker.

A reverse Osmosis set up won't do you any good if you have no power as they require enough water pressure to operated.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    My take on it is have as many ways to have drinkable water possible. I store it and I also have purification methods beside boiling.

I think one of my weekends projects soon is to make a still for complete water purification.

RobF82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Rossville IN
    I don't believe bleach goes bad. I have had a jug of bleach in my garage for years now that I use on mildew outside my house and it is still as potent as the day I bought it. Also if your completely desperate for water after you run out of any stored water, your waterheater has a nice store of water that is already potable. If all else fails and your neighbors abandone there house raid there waterheater.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I don't believe bleach goes bad. I have had a jug of bleach in my garage for years now that I use on mildew outside my house and it is still as potent as the day I bought it. Also if your completely desperate for water after you run out of any stored water, your waterheater has a nice store of water that is already potable. If all else fails and your neighbors abandone there house raid there waterheater.

Shelf life of bleach lasts 6 months. Get a $2.00 bag of pool shock. Makes enough bleach to treat 10,000 plus gallons of water. Store and handle it properly.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I recently aquired another deep freeze, and, not really needing it, I decided I would use it to freeze jugs and bottles full of water. I have 60 gallon jugs in there, and a bunch of plastic water bottles. I'm not sure how it will taste when thawed, but, for now, aside from my pool, it's my emergency water supply.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Shelf Life of Clorox Bleach | Dr. Laundry
    Chlorine Bleach Shelf Life

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Know where the closest sources (plural) of water are. If it's always accessible (even in snow, ice, etc.) then consider different, easy ways to transport and purify. Iodine tablets are cheap and effective. The water tastes weird but it's better than dealing with Montezuma. I have those as well as a few water purifiers (what I take when I go to the mountains). Also, can you start a fire? If you can start a fire, then you can boil water.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Know where the closest sources (plural) of water are. If it's always accessible (even in snow, ice, etc.) then consider different, easy ways to transport and purify. Iodine tablets are cheap and effective. The water tastes weird but it's better than dealing with Montezuma. I have those as well as a few water purifiers (what I take when I go to the mountains). Also, can you start a fire? If you can start a fire, then you can boil water.

Yeah we can start a fire, I have a woodstove that I actually cook breakfast on quite regularly just for the hell of it, so boiling water is not a problem. Is boiling the crap out of water enough or should things such as iodine tablets be introduced first to get maximum purification?

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Yeah we can start a fire, I have a woodstove that I actually cook breakfast on quite regularly just for the hell of it, so boiling water is not a problem. Is boiling the crap out of water enough or should things such as iodine tablets be introduced first to get maximum purification?

Boil it and you kill everything. I go mountain climbing at least once a year. Most times all we bring is a pocket rocket (stove) and boil mountain water or snow. As long as you don't mind a few pine needles in it you're good to go. A friend of mine brings a coffee filter to sift out the small particles. I say it brings character to the water :D

Top Bottom