• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have a 15 year old water that from what I can tell has never been flushed or anode rod changed. It still works, no sulfur smell and hot water is piping hot.
    The city I am in had moderate hard water.

I know that something in the future this unit will die and I'm living on borrowed time and would like to change this out before that occurs.

However there appears to be a recirculating pump in the mix as well from what I researched online. I don't think that pump is working as I've never heard it run.

Here are images of the setup.
    20240821_185322.jpg20240821_185239.jpg

20221005_120513.jpg20221005_120457.jpg20221005_120832.jpg20221005_120825.jpg

My inital plan was buy the same size and brand of water heater and replace but unsure what to do with that extra piping/recirculating pump.

I looked online and they don't sell that laing pump anymore as it's way too old.

Is there something comparable I can get? I figure it's

1. New water heater
    2. New recirculating pump
    3. The water check value next to pump
    4. Replace the drain value that comes with the water heater with a t-type connect to recreate that pipe that goes to the pump
    5. Add a new shut off value after the T type connection.
    6. Redo the income/outgoing connections at top of eater heater and replace that corroded value on top as well.
    7. Change the anode rod that comes with the unit for this one (optional)
    Corro-Protec Powered Anode Rod for Water Heater, 20-Year Warranty, Eliminates Rotten Egg/Sulfur Smell within 24 hours, Stops Corrosion and Reduces Limescale, Electrical Anode Rod Made of Titanium https://a.co/d/i0gA7dL

So any idea what pump could work?
    FYQda.jpg
    I think this is what I have.
    Don't understand why with the pump dead it still works.

...UPDATE..
    I cam solder and have done minor plumbing repairs soldering pipes.

No desire for an electrical water heater or tankless. I can do electrical as well much more comfortable at doing electrical than plumbing but no desire to go that route.

Last edited:

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I've actually never seen a circ pump on a gas heater before.. i shyed away from gas heater decades ago for 2 reasons. 1 if the ignitor goes out and 2nd because of the gas smell at times. There really wasnt a cost savings over electric with the newer styles. Electric heaters are so much easier to clean or replace a heating element. With the copper lines, if you don't know how to soldier copper..a plumber gets expensive, this is why i prefer cpvc pipes over anything else.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've actually never seen a circ pump on a gas heater before.. i shyed away from gas heater decades ago for 2 reasons. 1 if the ignitor goes out and 2nd because of the gas smell at times. There really wasnt a cost savings over electric with the newer styles. Electric heaters are so much easier to clean or replace a heating element. With the copper lines, if you don't know how to soldier copper..a plumber gets expensive, this is why i prefer cpvc pipes over anything else.

I strongly encourage you to check out pex. Pick which style you like, buy a crimper, and never look back.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If the check valve still moves it should still be providing limited recirculation just from water cooling in the pipes and sinking through the valve.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not sure I would change what doesn’t need changed. Mine (water heater) was supposedly installed 87ish… it was definitely done pre 92 when I bought the house, so over 30 years old.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot add any advice, but it would seem that the circulation pump probably kept the sentiment stirred up enough to keep it from settling on the bottom. This will extend the life of the tank.

In my days before I got old and lazy, I used a small pump and a couple of valves to circulate water in an extra car radiator to heat my garage, essentially using my existing water heater as a hot water boiler. It was not pretty but it did make it way more comfortable to work in the garage in January. When I didn't need the heat I could bypass it right back to stock.

I still use solder on low pressure or sil-fos brazing on higher pressure. I have never needed to revisit my repairs.

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    It looks like you could flush the tank with the valve on the bottom that doesn’t have a handle on it. But I would have a spare valve on hand when that one doesn’t shut off all the way after not being operated in years. Also agree on not replacing what is working. But you can wait for a deal on water heaters, if that ever happens, and have everything ready on your schedule.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    i shyed away from gas heater decades ago for 2 reasons. 1 if the ignitor goes out and 2nd because of the gas smell at times. There really wasnt a cost savings over electric with the newer styles. Electric heaters are so much easier to clean or replace a heating element.
    Just the opposite for me... Electric heaters cost 2 to 3 times as much to run. The recovery of a gas heater is at least 3 times faster. I use power vent tank style gas heaters. For decades no problems.

Gas smell?? Ugh, never a problem. I think you either had a leak or something installed improperly. That I would get checked out. I never heard of a gas smell with a gas appliance working properly.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I strongly encourage you to check out pex. Pick which style you like, buy a crimper, and never look back.
    I think Pex has come a long way, but I am to stubborn to give it a try. Pex pro looks pretty nice though... Just Pex to me looks like someone plumbed a house with a garden hose. Hoses flopping all over the place. Maybe I just need some time. Bite the bullet and give it a try.

Reactions: Leo

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Z06
    Top Bottom