Was going to buy ammo at Cheaper than Dirt...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Where I have relocated in Texas is a few miles away from a Cheaper than Dirt retail center. I have been going there looking for a few items including a pistol grip for my shotgun. I had been pretty satisfied with their pricing up until today.

I went in to check out some different guns but specifically looking for a Glock 19. I didn't find one and all the associates were busy, so I walked over the ammo while I waited for one of them to free up.

I was browsing the ammo and got to the 9mm section and about had a heart attack. The cheapest box of 9mm 115 gr FMJ standard ammo was $32. For 50 rounds. They had a box of Remington priced at $44. There was a sign above the ammo that read something like, "We adjust our prices daily to get you the best deal." What kills me the most about it is I know that these are not normal prices because I remember seeing the Federal ammo I use there for $12.99 a box a couple of weeks ago.

I drove to Wal-Mart where I normally buy ammo and they had it for the same price I always get it for. ($10.47 for a box of 50) I bought 600 rounds and left. Just kinda irks me that CTD seems to be price gouging....

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    CTD will never see another penny of mine after what they did during the election gun craze. I am sure they are using the most recent tragedy to rise their prices.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    After they gouged their customers following Obama's election, you're surprised that they're gouging again?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I got into firearms in March of 2010. I had no idea that this was something they have done before. At least I now know to stay away.

I ended up driving to Cabelas and putting a 19 on layaway today. They had it priced at $519.99. Their ammo was at normal prices but I still went to Wal-Mart cause it's cheaper than anywhere I've found.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I tried buying a glock Knife from them, only to be told at the end of the check out process that they could not ship knives to my zip code due to local ordinances, which was funny, as I had bought a few AK bayonettes from them a few days earlier. (There are no "local ordinances" around here). I e mailed em' and told em' to shove it, and to take my name out of their system completely. I won't spend a dime with them ever again.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Of course you can't forget about AIM surplus.

On a similar note, I see Cabelas having higher prices in the store than on the Cabelas website most of the time. You can request a price match in store, and they'll do it but a lot of folks probably do not pay attention. At least it's only a few dollars at Cabelas and not 3x normal. That sounds pretty unethical at CTD.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I placed an order after X-Mas from them, I had no issues. Bought a nice survival bag, nice quality, big, and strong. It was less than $40.00. Now there $10.00 survival kit in a water bottle, JUNK!!! I wanted a magnesium fire starter and there was one in the kit, everything else in the kit JUNK. Bought some 300 grain 44 mag bullets "Bitterroot Valley" called "Bear Load" 20 rounds, I think $20.00. Bought 4 -30 round Tapco polymer AK mags and 2 40 round Tapco polymer AK mags, I bought a Hi-Point TS995 15 round mag. I bought two ammo cans 30 cal. And a few other odds and ends. All for less than $130.00 + shipping.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    During the height of the obama craze CTD inflated their prices to what I would consider exhortion levels. As such I REFUSE to spend a single penny with them EVER! I mean other places like AIM surplus, and Sportsmans guide did raise their prices, but they only raised them to compensate for the increase in cost not to cash in on the craze and shortage.

a HUGE -1 for CTD!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have never found something on CTD's site that I could not find for less elsewhere. I have basically eliminated them from my usual places to check when I am looking to purchase something.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I'm not defending CTD, but I just want you guys to know that CTD the store is a completely different operation from CTD the catalog/on-line business, it even has different owners. I found this out while talking to some folks at the on-line/catalog business. Check out the prices on ammo at Midway, the prices of .223Rem dropped drastically from a couple of months ago. According to the gun magazines, the price increase was a result of the demand for ammo due to the war in Afghanistan & Iraq, and also to people buying up supplies of military caliber ammo because of Obama being elected.

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    the price of everything gun related is skyrocketing have u looked at the price of lead shot lately

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    the price of everything gun related is skyrocketing have u looked at the price of lead shot lately

Prices have increased, yes. But not tripled in cost as Cheaper Than Dirt has done. Cheaper Than Dirt has a nasty tendency to bump up cost on things that are associated with the latest political/social thing dujour. The Panic in 08 due to the election, Y2K saw some horrendous jumps in pricing by them (I still have a cataloge from 1999 that lists ammo at roughly double the cost considered the "norm" for those days, and is still pretty expensive by today's standards).

A buck extra per box, that's price increase due to demand/materials cost. Tripling the cost of the box is artificial inflation.

*(side note, please do not tell me I wrote all of that so that someone can classified race to 50 posts... :D )

Top Bottom