• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    HAS BEEN BRAZED ON.WOULD LIKE GUN IN IT'S ORIGINAL CONDITION,.WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HAVE IT RE-BLUED..ANY INFO OR HELP WOULD BE GREAT.IT IS A BROWNING A-5 LITE 12
    BROWNING004.jpg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Looks like tactical crap on shotguns has been around longer than we thought. I'd take it right to a gray/white haired gun smith if it were me..... The only guy I can think of owns a shop in Brookfield, IL right on Ogden avenue (not Midwest guns there - yes, Illinois has a "midwest guns" too). He also has a place down in Friendship but never opened up a shop there. Can't think of his name to save my life but he's the only gun shop in the city of Brookfield, IL.

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    Do you want to nuke the patina on that? My first thought was how cool that would look with a period scope. It's awesome BTW!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Doesn't really look brazed, more likely it was silver soldered. Any decent smith should be able to remove it. Making it look good is another matter. It appears you will have holes to plug and smooth out as well. With getting all the work done and the re-bluing you might be better off selling that one and buying a nice used A-5 instead as far as money goes. If it is a family gun the I would spend the money on it.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    You could probably get that off yourself. Take all the screws out then use a propane torch and heat up the mount while prying gently with a screwdriver or small pick. The mount is a pretty thick heat sink so it will take a little bit to get it hot enough to melt the solder. Having the mount installed in such a way will most assuredly leave some scars that will be all but impossible to completely remove. Like someone said if it isn't a family heirloom it would be cheaper and a lot less stress to sell it and by another.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    IMO I would leave it alone. Your never going to be able to repair the detail under that rail and have it look right unless your a good welder and a GREAT machinist. Then odds are the bluing will not look right over the welded areas.

Just IMHO.

Top Bottom