• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    ive been thinking about for some time now on building an AR.however ive never owned one or anything.do i just go buy an upper then the lower with the parts kit and put it together?id like to get an upper in .223,.40s%w or 7.62x39.what kind of mags would i use if i were to get a .40sw or 7.62 upper?i seriously have no clue and any help would be great thank you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'd strongly recommend buying your first AR complete, and then building the rest.

This will give you a rifle that you can go and shoot NOW, and it will teach you all kinds of things that will be helpful when you do decide to build one up. However, there is a larger upfront investment.

You're welcome to view my journey into BRD (black rifle disease) here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/28436-about_to_pimp_my_ar_too.html

As to your specific questions, I would recommend sticking to the 5.56/.223 for your first AR. The .40S&W and 7.62 uppers are a whole 'nother ball-game, so you'll want a good base knowledge of ARs first. IMO, if you want .40S&W, buy a handgun; and if you want 7.62, buy an AK.

Also, look around the Long Guns section and you're bound to find this topic rehashed over and over with other members. There's good reading in those threads as well.

Good luck!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    ive been thinking about for some time now on building an AR.however ive never owned one or anything.

There have been numerous threads on various aspects of the build process; you might try digging back through the Long Guns forum a bit.

do i just go buy an upper then the lower with the parts kit and put it together?

That's how many folks do it. You could go even easier by buying the lower receiver already completed so all you have to do is mate the two halves, or you could also go more involved by barreling the upper yourself instead of buying it already assembled. Just depends on what your purpose is in building vs. buying, and what you want to get out of the experience.

id like to get an upper in .223,.40s%w or 7.62x39.what kind of mags would i use if i were to get a .40sw or 7.62 upper?

7.62x39 uppers use 7.62x39 AR mags (as opposed to AK or Mini-30 mags).
    C Products Store

AFAIK, the only outfit offering a .40SW upper is Olympic Arms, and I believe they use modified UZI magazines.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    All good advice, but if you have some mechanical aptitude, don't be afraid to build one yourself. I just finished doing this exact project. Ended up buying a Stag lower on this board as part of a group buy. Bought the upper (just happened to be a Stag as well) and lower parts kit on a group buy on the AR-15 forum. Did the build a couple weeks ago.

Some thoughts - I bought The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck - invaluable to the build. Also watched the build videos on Brownells website. Bought some of the recommended tools, (roll pin punches, brass/plastic hammer, dummy rounds, etc.,) from Brownell and MidwayUSA.

Actual assembly of the lower took less than 2 hours and we shot it the same day - lots of fun and a great learning experience. Hope to get a picture posted later this week.

Good Luck!

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    thanks Huzrjim for the info..not really looking to buy a new one.i wanna build one to shoot not to sell.im still debating on which caliber to get because of the ridiculous prices on 5.56/.223 ammo here lately.is there anything i should be looking at specific when buying a used upper?how much is too much when im looking to get one?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    im still debating on which caliber to get because of the ridiculous prices on 5.56/.223 ammo here lately.

This is easily remedied with a .22 conversion kit from CMMG, which can be purchased for $185 locally from Indiana Supply Depot. Indiana Supply Depot (I just ordered mine yesterday:D)

It takes literally 15 seconds to switch from shooting 5.56 to .22. The conversion will pay for itself in the first 800 rounds of NOT shooting 5.56.

Its really the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom