• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    AS the title states, I want to get into reloading my own ammo. I shoot .308 Win, and have about 350 spent cases so far that I have shot and saved.

What is a good reloader to start out with? I've heard the Lee Classic loader is a good item? What about the Lee hand press?

What reloading manuals should I buy and read before I start reloading?

I know I need some digital calipers and a small scale. Anything else I might need?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    WOW, you really need some more research. Reloading is very overwhelming and quite complicated at first. I would PM Indygunworks, buy a case of beer and head over to his place. He will do a 1 on 1 with you and get you on your way. I hope you have about 1K put back because that is where you will be when you leave his place. Good Luck :yesway:

logo-1.jpg

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    WOW, you really need some more research. Reloading is very overwhelming and quite complicated at first. I would PM Indygunworks, buy a case of beer and head over to his place. He will do a 1 on 1 with you and get you on your way. I hope you have about 1K put back because that is where you will be when you leave his place. Good Luck :yesway:

logo-1.jpg

Well heading over to Indgunworks isn't as easy for me to go do. I live a few hrs away and don't have the time to take a trip down there. I've been doing some research and as I state I've like to get started. I'm not wanting to spend 1K just to start reloading. I just want to reload in some of my spare time when I have it, I don't plan on realoading several hunder rounds everytime I sit down to reload. I'd like to start out simple and when I get the time I'll move into to a better setup that will reload more cartidges.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    read up, double and triple check what you're doing, start small at first and ask a lot of questions.
    when i made a ragged hole out of a bullseye with my first handloads, i could almost hear angels sing. then i realized it was just my tinnitus.
    it's not rocket science, but it's similar!
    good luck!

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    read up, double and triple check what you're doing, start small at first and ask a lot of questions.
    when i made a ragged hole out of a bullseye with my first handloads, i could almost hear angels sing. then i realized it was just my tinnitus.
    it's not rocket science, but it's similar!
    good luck!

I plan on starting small, thats why I was asking about the Lee Classic Loader and maybe after using it someday I can work my way up to a press. What is a good reference to have and read about reloading?

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like the RCBS rock chucker. You can't hurt it and I picked up my first for about $40 used.
    Don't go out and buy a bunch of new stuff unless you have the money. Take your time and wander the gun show looking for used equipment. The Valpo Show in February is a good one.
    I would buy your dies new.

You will want a tumbler if you don't have one, a press, a powder scale (you can start with a manual one) calipers (don't need digital unless you want them)
    And you will want a trimmer and a good manual and dies.

If you are shooting match 308 you will want to measure the length of your chamber so you know how long to make your rounds. There is more but don't worry you can really get most of the stuff used it shows up all the time. A few hundred bucks and you can be shooting. A few more and you can be loading as good as the Factory Match ammo.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    If you are serious about it, the Dillon 550B is where to start. Dillon provides an interactive page for choosing which components are right for you. I suggest starting there. Buy once, cry once.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My suggestion

1. Go to Walmart
    2. Buy the current edition of the Speer Reloading manual. (I think it is now in its 14th edition.)
    3. Read it.
    4. Go back through the manual after you have carefully read it and make a list of what you need.
    5. Start hitting the gun shows, websites and such looking for deals on equipment.

I also agree with the idea of buying an experienced reloader a case of beer and having them give you a step by step lesson.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    make sure you get calipers that measure in thousandths, and not fractions. i found a good one at harbor freight.

don't tumble different calibers of pistol brass together, some fit right inside each other and with the media can be very difficult to get apart.

read, read, read, find someone who reloads and ask them a lot of questions.

there are numerous videos on youtube walking you through it

there are numerous load data sheets from the various powder makers online

wiki has a how-to page on reloading

hope that helps

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'll echo the advice given. Get a good reloading manual and read the front part on reloading. Read it more than once. Another option is to buy a good video on reloading. Even better...get both. Get a good single-stage press. All of the major brands are good. Lee is the cheapest, but Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady and Forster make very good presses. In general, the presses that cost $100 and up are usually made of steel and have better leverage. I would steer clear of any hand tools for reloading that aren't bench mounted. Besides a good sturdy bench, you will need case prep tools, powder scale, etc. If you buy a "kit" from any of the above, you will get the necessary accessories cheaper than if you buy them separately.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Do not buy the Lee hand press as your first introduction to reloading. Lee, Lyman, and RCBS all have good introductory kits that are priced well and include pretty much everything you need except dies and a case tumbler.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    reloading

As a person thinking about to start reloading a suggest that you take a trip to Kempf's gunshop in Michigan city . Not that far from you look up the address on the computer . They will help with the choices and you don't have to buy their [lee] equipment.
    Dillon is a great line but i chose Lee because of cost it will probably last me , don't expect load many thousands of rounds and i don't need to hurry.I just moved from a single stage press 20yrs to a cast turret press.The single stage was fine but i found the turret press at Cabelas Bargain cave for $65.00 could not pass on it .Also buy the book lee loading manual.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Don't go out and buy a bunch of new stuff unless you have the money. Take your time and wander the gun show looking for used equipment. The Valpo Show in February is a good one.
    I would buy your dies new.

I've never been the show in valpo and I live maybe 2 or 3 miles from the fairgrounds where they hold it. I've been to the one in crown point a couple times. I'll have to go to the Valpo one next time.

make sure you get calipers that measure in thousandths, and not fractions. i found a good one at harbor freight.

I use caliper in my job, I can always bring the ones in my tool box home and get new calipers for work.

As a person thinking about to start reloading a suggest that you take a trip to Kempf's gunshop in Michigan city . Not that far from you look up the address on the computer . They will help with the choices and you don't have to buy their [lee] equipment.
    Dillon is a great line but i chose Lee because of cost it will probably last me , don't expect load many thousands of rounds and i don't need to hurry.I just moved from a single stage press 20yrs to a cast turret press.The single stage was fine but i found the turret press at Cabelas Bargain cave for $65.00 could not pass on it .Also buy the book lee loading manual.

I was at Kingsbury with a friend a while back. He got to talking to the range master their about reloading. I heard the range master mention that my friend should go to Kempf if he was thinking about getting started in reloading. Thanks for the info I'll have to take a trip up to Kempf one day an talk to them.

Thanks for all the other replies! I'll probably go pick up a reloading manual this weekend and start reading.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I started with the lee hammer operated unit . It will sure teach the fundimentals of reloading on the cheep.If you think you will enjoy it move up to something better ,I did .You do not need to spend lots of $ to get started if money is not an option you can spend lots

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i bought the lee classic kit and some dies,powder and primers and some manuals when i started. now alot of the lee classic stuf ive upgraded since but they were good enough to teach me the fundementals and good enough to hook me on the accuracy i can get by reloading. i dont and probably never will save money but i get to shoot and test alot more.

the lee classic and manuals will get you versed enough to make a round go boom safley. but when you try and amximize accuracy you will probably want to upgrade most of it.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I'll echo the advice given. Get a good reloading manual and read the front part on reloading. Read it more than once. Another option is to buy a good video on reloading. Even better...get both. Get a good single-stage press. All of the major brands are good. Lee is the cheapest, but Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady and Forster make very good presses. In general, the presses that cost $100 and up are usually made of steel and have better leverage. I would steer clear of any hand tools for reloading that aren't bench mounted. Besides a good sturdy bench, you will need case prep tools, powder scale, etc. If you buy a "kit" from any of the above, you will get the necessary accessories cheaper than if you buy them separately.

:yesway:

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I started with the lee hammer operated unit . It will sure teach the fundimentals of reloading on the cheep.If you think you will enjoy it move up to something better ,I did .You do not need to spend lots of $ to get started if money is not an option you can spend lots

Thats the reloader I was thinking of starting out with originally. I did a little searching on here and some other forums about that loader and it sounds like a good starting point for not a whole lot of money.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thats the reloader I was thinking of starting out with originally. I did a little searching on here and some other forums about that loader and it sounds like a good starting point for not a whole lot of money.

I started out with one of these. I vote no. You will outgrow it very soon. Use the $30 you'll spend on it towards a single stage press kit.

I also don't recommend a new reloader trying to buy used unless you have a very savy reloading buddy to go with you. You can end up with a bunch of stuff that has broken or missing parts. You can also end up with a press that takes shell holders that are no longer available.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was at Kingsbury with a friend a while back. He got to talking to the range master their about reloading. I heard the range master mention that my friend should go to Kempf if he was thinking about getting started in reloading. Thanks for the info I'll have to take a trip up to Kempf one day an talk to them.

1. The Valpo show is 100% better than the Crown Point. You'll enjoy it.

2. I went to Kempf gun shop last week. They are the ONLY shop I have found with any kind of primer you want in stock. HOWEVER you'll pay about $45 per thousand for them as well. WAY TOO MUCH! I bought 1lb of varget, 1k small pistol, and 1k large rifle and my total was almost $130. WAAAAAY TOO MUCH.

BTW, I JUST got started in reloading. My press is a Dillon 650. I'm set up for 9mm and .308. If you are mechanically inclined you can figure out the operation no problem. Just take your time.

Have fun and start :ar15: more!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    For the 308 a single stage press will work good. I use a single stage Lee for my 7mm Rem. Magnum, and it works great. I do not shoot it extensively so I can load up a hundred or so and that lasts me for a while. I bought the neck size dies from Lee so case lube is not nessisary for sizing. I hand weigh the charge with an RCBS 501 scale. You can find a good deal on the scale on ebay. I got mine for about $40. I don't like the progressive presses for my rifle because I am looking for the most consistent ammo for target. I use a Lee turret press for my handguns and have been happy with the results. Both presses and equipment together was well under 1K. If you are looking to trim cases and load for accuracy then a single stage will work good. If you are just looking for target ammo then a Dillion will be the one you want. The Lee progressive loaders do not load the 308 it is too tall. I have 2 loading manuals, but do not use them much anymore. Hodgdon has load data online for their powder along with Winchester and IMR powder. I use it almost exclusively. Noslers website also has load data for their bullets with various powders. Best advice, decide what your goals are and buy the press that fits your needs. You don't need a press to load 200 to 300 rounds an hour if you only shoot about that much a year. One last thing, do not skimp on a beam scale. Buy a quality scale no matter what press you get, you won't regret it.

Top Bottom