Want to start RELOADING...what do I need to get started?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    I am wanting to start reloading 9mm, .40, .44 and possibly some rifle calibers. What equipment would you recommend to get started with? Where would you recommend to purchase the equipment? Any help would be appreciated.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Before you buy anything, I'd buy this ---> LINKY!

Lots of people say start on a single stage press. Lots of people start on a progressive press. If you're doing high volume shooting, progressive is the way to go, but you need to be somewhat mechanically inclined, and be able to follow directions.

Actually, the being able to follow directions is the most important part of reloading.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    As JByer said a good reloading book to give you the basic steps then:
    At least two reloading manual (one from a bullet manufacturer and one from a powder manufacturer)
    Press with dies and shell plate
    Powder measurer
    6” caliper
    Primer tray
    Powder scale
    Tumbler and media
    Plastic ammo boxes
    Bullet puller
    ----->Someone who knows how to reload to help you with your first few reloading sessions<-----

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    You need a willingness to learn and a desire to spend. It seems the equipment list just keeps growing and everything is sold separate. It will nickel and dime you to death.
    You will likely not save money as you will just shoot more.
    It is incredibly monotonous work to decap a thousand cartridges or so.
    BUT it is very rewarding to shoot your own hand rolled.
    My .02 start with a single stage press and do small lots. You can always work up and even if you uprgrade to progressive you will still have uses for the single stage.
    Shop on line for equip or try to find it used. But I would rec. buying new dies. These are explosives right? Go slow.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    All of the above posts give excellent info. I was in your position not to long ago. I bought a couple of books and then read them first to make sure that I knew what I was getting into and to determine the right press and tools for my need. I started with a lee progressive that I bought used and while a little finicky worked very well for me. I have loaded 10-15k rounds on it and have had a lot of fun doing so. I am currrently shopping for a Dillon 550 or maybe a Hornady LNL. I guess we'll see! Do your research and read all you can.
    My $.02
    Matt

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I also use a Lee Classic turret. Its not much more money than a single stage (progressives are much more) and it in my opinion, haveing used both, it is as easy to set up and use as a single stage. The dies are easy to swap out to use for different calibers (just use another turret). Plus you can load much faster than a single stage. I can comfortably load ~100rds an hour on my press (I dont have a primer feeder).

I dont shoot hundreds of rounds at a time so being able to load 50 or 100 rounds in a sitting to go plinking once in a while is no big deal, and I didnt spend a ton on a progressive press that I really dont need.

I think a lot just depends on how much you want to shoot and also factoring how much you want to save/spend.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Reloading Setup Checklist
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Reloading manual
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Press
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Dies for each caliber (Dies included with Dillon Square Deal Only)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Shellholders or Caliber Conversion Kits as appropriate
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Powder Measure (included with Dillon presses)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Powder Trickler
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Scale, balance beam or electronic
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Case Tumbler
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Media for Tumbler
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Case Lube (not absolutely necessary if loading with carbide pistol dies)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Case Lube Pad
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Case Trimmer (Not necessary for straight walled pistol cases)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Case Deburring Tool (Only if getting Case Trimmer)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Vernier Caliper (Dial or Digital is easiest to use)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Loading Tray/ Loading Block (Only if using single stage press)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Primer Flipper
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bullet Puller

Dillon Extras
    Extra Tool Head (If loading more than one caliber)
    Toolhead Stand (If loading more than one caliber)
    Toolholder with Tools (nice to have, but absolutely not necessary)
    Strong Mount (Highly recommend, especially with Dillon 650)
    Dillon Video Tape (Worth the money)
    Extra casefeed plate (You will need more than one if loading other certain calibers)

Reloading Components
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bullets (Lead are cheapest)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Brass Cases (Buying new Winchester or Starline at first might prevent problems)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Powder
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Primers

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I like to keep it simple and have used a single stage press forever. I loaded 100 rnds of 38spl and 100 rounds of 30-06 just relaxing and listening to the radio in one evening. I aslo check my loads on a scale about every 20rnds. Maybe that is not needed but it make me fell better about my loads. Read your books and have fun.

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    Thanks for all the info! I recently moved to the Anderson area and really appreciate your assistance! Sounds like I need to start with a book or two. If anyone thinks of anything else I should know, please post here or send me a message.

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    One more question for all of you reloaders out there... Do you find that you save money when reloading? And if so, what would you estimate you savings (%) is over store-bought loads?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    One more question for all of you reloaders out there... Do you find that you save money when reloading? And if so, what would you estimate you savings (%) is over store-bought loads?
    Yes, you will start saving after you load enough to offset the cost of your reloading equipment. The amount you save will depend on if you are loading cast bullets bought by the thousand (for handguns) or are buying FMJ or JHP by the box which is a little more expensive.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you get free once-fired brass or amortize the cost over a period of time, you will save at least 40% over the cost of commercial ammo. The bullet is the most expensive component. If you can use lead cast or swaged bullets for your pistol rounds, you will save much more over the cost of jacketed bullets.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Number 1 Priority, before you buy any equipment: Get at least a couple of up-to-date manuals and read them. IMO, the Lyman 49th edition and the Lee #2 both contain very comprehensive information for both how-to instructions and data.

A couple of equipment suggestions from my own lessons:

While an electronic digital powder scale will cost more initially than most balance beam types, it's money well spent in the longer run, IMO. The accuracy and consistency of their readings is a lot less dependant on factors like being kept absolutely level in two planes and regular, meticulous cleaning, for one thing. No matter which system you decide on, buy a set of calibrated check weights and use them religiously! FWIW, the little pocket-sized digital unit made by Frankford Arsenal sold by Midway USA, etc. can often be found for less than $40.

I started out with an old Lyman 'nutcracker' tool, then bought a used Lyman "All American" turret press. I still think that a turret outfit has a lot going for it as a way of getting a faster and more convenient means to produce small-to-moderate volumes of ammo than a traditional single-stage press (the newer Hornady "Lock 'n Load" and Lee "Breech Lock" quick-change bushing systems even this out somewhat, to be fair) and more flexibility at less cost than most any progressive.

For high-volume production, nothing beats a progressive. I have three, a Lee Pro-1000 and two Dillon SDBs. IMO, most of them are better suited for putting out large numbers of a specific load than they are to experimenting or load development. Each of mine are set-up for a different caliber and my standard GP load for it.

IMO, a modern turret outfit such as the Lee is much cheaper and easier to swap-out for a change in caliber than any progressive unit I've yet seen. It generally takes fewer parts and a lot less work to do it, and those parts are less expensive, with the exception of dies which are about the same usually.

For charging most handgun ammo, I like the Lee Disc system powder measures. They're relatively inexpensive, versatile, accurate and simple to use. They include a comprehensive chart for determining which disc aperture to use to throw the desired charge with the particular powder you've chosen. I've found it to be quite accurate when I check weigh on my RCBS digital scale.

It does take a while to amortize your equipment's cost, no matter what you buy. But once you've done that you'll find that you can afford to shoot a lot more for the money you spend. Exactly how much can depend a good deal on your components and what kind of volume you can buy them in. FWIW, folks who reload for the same calibers can often pool their resources to purchase supplies like 10K bullets, 20K primers or an 8# keg of powder at a considerable savings to everyone.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Just started myself

I have just started myself and do suggest some books to start out with. One was the ABC to reloading suggested by someone here The Lyman reloading book has a lot of good info in the front of the book before you get to reloading specs.

Once you have the press of your choice set it us where you can reload in private. Distractions are bad. If was in the books, told be fellow reloader and saw it first hand with neightbor. One distraction and you will get out of your cycle and double charge or not add powder.

More information on the internet that you could ever read. I can send you some links I found helpful as I just started and have them all saved.

I ordered the LEE turret press Kit as you can run it as a single stage or turret advancing. https://www.natchezss.com/product.c...odTitle=Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit

Start saving your brass.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am wanting to start reloading 9mm, .40, .44 and possibly some rifle calibers. What equipment would you recommend to get started with? Where would you recommend to purchase the equipment? Any help would be appreciated.

As well as all the advice given previously I found a useful book with lists and pictures of just about every reloading piece of equipment you could think of.. Look for "Handloader's Digest", mine is the 18th edition from Krause Publications. I'm not sure it's still in print, but Amazon has several back editions for sale some used...
    Amazon.com: handloaders digest: Books

It has almost anything you can think of for reloading, lots of background articles and includes pictures of presses/equipment from C-H, Dillon, Forster, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Redding and some smaller Co's, I've never heard of. I found it *very* useful when I was starting out.

Start reading and enjoy!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Southport
    Midway sells Sierra pistol reloading videos and also one for rifle rounds. I have the pistol video and it is very helpful. RCBS has viewable videos built into their website that are useful as well. I don't figure the cost as economical as much as if i stock up on all the components i will never run out of ammo. It's fun to stockpile components and put loads together.

Top Bottom