Want to Know Why Gangsters Hold Guns Sideways?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Interesting theory. I have read that the Israelis are in the practice of holding their sub guns sideways when hosing down rooms so that the recoil carries the gun from one target to the next rather than from target 1 to the ceiling.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Interesting theory. I have read that the Israelis are in the practice of holding their sub guns sideways when hosing down rooms so that the recoil carries the gun from one target to the next rather than from target 1 to the ceiling.

Brilliant! I honestly had never thought that before. Still seems/looks silly/ineffective.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Want to Know Why Gangsters Hold Guns Sideways?

Not really but they hold it that way because of movies. Blame the director, not the second unit director.

While the sideways grip has long been used on movies (One Eyed Jacks in 1961), the breakout was Menace II Society. It is easier to get the actor's face and gun in the shot.

Not just theory. Jim Circillo used to teach slide index shooting, even taped over sights. He used it in the Stakeout Squad Days and he shot a lot of people.

People have been doing this since the machine pistol first came out.

However doing it with pistols is because of a cultural influence, movies, not any tactical advantage (use you got a bunker shield or something). When numbnuts do it they are more prone to malf the weapon (which is not a bad thing).

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Comments at the bottom of the article, are the best part.

You're right, one guy said "for style points." That actually makes the most sense to me. It "looks cool" and thusly will be more respectable amoung his fellow comrades when recalling their tale to the other gang members that weren't there.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I've posted this picture before but it is also appropriate here.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/homeboy side gun sights/scottishmr2/Guns/BIRDMAN_SIGHTS.jpg?o=1
    BIRDMAN_SIGHTS.jpg

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The do this for the same reason that they sag their pants past their bum. They're trying to make a fashion statement while attempting to make everyone think they're tough. I've dealt with thousands of these people. Like with everything else, they have never taken the time to learn how to properly fire a weapon--and they just don't care. This also explains why do many of them survive their gunshots. Thugs don't just hold their weapons sideways, they point the barrel at a downward angle. This results in a lot of shots to the legs (and a whole lot of errant rounds that fly into innocent bystanders). Just go to the range at Don's Guns. You'll see what I mean.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The PC term is not gangter but gangsta, YO! Mythbusters actually put this style to the test and it performed the as badly as shooting from the hip.

They aren't exactly the gun experts I would count on. Perhaps compared to the rest of California but I venture to say the average INGOer is far and above a mythbuster in gun handling and knowledge.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    They aren't exactly the gun experts I would count on. Perhaps compared to the rest of California but I venture to say the average INGOer is far and above a mythbuster in gun handling and knowledge.

And when they do talk about guns they talk about all the things that are illegal about them, but fail to mention it is only illegal in that state

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Total idiocy. The only time a slight tilt of the hand works is when shooting one handed. Not 90 degrees off center.

Top Bottom